Bicycle Cover for loss or damage

p1tse
p1tse Posts: 694
edited December 2012 in Road general
I'm looking to get cover for theft really.
My house insurance currently with Axa, lets me add on bicycle cover which
"Loss or damage to Bicycles and their accessories anywhere in the World belonging to you"
for £23 a year, BUT only limits to single bike of £1000.

Not a bad cover as its not bike specific, and covers the family bikes etc.

Only scare on loss or damage is potentially at work or outside Squash courts, but both are relatively secure.

Anyone interested, policy details page 27:
http://www.axainsurance.com/home/policy ... ing_94.pdf

Does anyone know of something similar in cover but covers bikes at £1k+?

All the other places I've looked is bike specific and costing at £100+ per year
Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Direct line is the same... £1000 for me
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Normally that is the limit for "undeclared" items. If you phone them and tell them exactly what bike you have and its replacement value then normally they will give you a quote to extend that cover. Normally that's the cheapest way of insuring your bike.

For example, to add my £1,800 Trek to my home insurance was £16 a year and that covers theft at home and away as long as it is locked inside a building (not a shed) or chained to an immovable object. If you have full accidental damage home insurance then that may cover your declared bike as well.

Phone your insurance company and ask them.
  • p1tse
    Thanks
    I rang them up and it's a set limit

Gizmodo, who's your home insurance with?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    p1tse wrote:
    Thanks
    I rang them up and it's a set limit

Gizmodo, who's your home insurance with?
    Churchill

Marks and Spenser home insurance and NFU (National Farmers Union) both get good reviews in other posts on this forum.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I don't have home insurance so couldn't do this. But for the people in my situation.

What I did was go through British cycling which is pretty much the cheapest way to get bicycle insurance if you don't have home insurance.
  • p1tse
    Gizmondo, thanks

British cycling on its own is about £100 ish I think
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Bike cover is never going to be straightforward. High value items easily stolen doesn't make for good business for insurance companies.

Household cover is becoming ever more complicated, with higher excesses and no-claim bonuses, so claiming on that may cost more than you expect.
  • I got mine from NFU, added £250 to my annual premium, but covers 5 quality bikes, all way over £1000 and one a long way over £1000...

When you consider the annual premium I was quoted from protect your bubble and others for the expensive bike alone was over £360, in essence I saved £110 and got free insurance for the other 4