TT Bike on the cheap

andy 3654
andy 3654 Posts: 183
edited January 2013 in Pro race
Hi all I think this might be in the wrong area so sorry if it is,
what would i need to do to convert box standard road bike (alu frame & forks) to a TT style bike.
I know you get what you pay for but money is limiting Im thinking I can maybe go up to £700 but not in one hit.
Any help and advice will be most welcome so thank you in advance.

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    You need the Road Buying Advice section... fwiw though, for £700 find a TT frame s/h or cheap and a set of something like 3t aura bars and some shifters n brake levers, then raid the rest of your road bike. A dedicated TT frame will give you a proper position. (you'll get all that within £700)
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    For £700 why not just buy a complete second hand TT bike ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Well, if you don't want to do it in one hit - have you thought of sticking on a pair of aerobars, upgrading wheels/tyres, maybe a close-ratio cassette, and then getting a skinsuit and TT helmet?

The TT I was at this morning had everything from S-Works TT bikes with Zipp808's to mountain bikes. Plenty of people on unadapted road bikes, so I'd say whatever you do, don't put off competing until you think you've got the right gear.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I saw a real life Cervelo P5 in the bike shop yesterday (think it must haev been in for service) It looks soooo lovely in the flesh!

But anyway...I think aero bars are genuinely considered to be the best value for money speed upgrade you can do, followed by a properly set up helmet. Everything else is pretty negligible on its own (obviously they build up into something)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver