Scuffing on fork stanchion

Triggaboy
Triggaboy Posts: 33
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Stripped my bike down today and noticed a large scuff at the bottom of the fork stanchion on my 2009 Reba's and a bit concerned as to what could have caused it. I've also never attempted to strip the forks as never had the need but was wondering if this is repairable once I've located the cause. Any similar experiences by anyone would be much appreciated to save me a trip to LBS tomorrow as need the bike back for Wednesday the latest.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Picture? A small mark can be sorted easily. A massive gouge can't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    reason. no grease on the seals or no lube on the foam pads. IE lake of servicing.

it depends on how bad it is and what else is damaged.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Doesn't appear to be any damage elsewhere and fork is working fine though yes it been 2 years of regular use without service. As the damage is now done shall I just ride on and not worry or am I being optimistic?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Need a bigger picture.
  • Yeah might help like as copied the thumbnail.
  • supersonic
    Looks like poor lubrication of the seals to me.

Have you ever serviced the seals and wipers, and applied fresh oil/grease?
  • Yeah they have been done regular though never had a full breakdown or any seals replaced. I check them and lube them almost weekly though out Saturday in shit weather in Reeth and managed to crack my rear wheel rim. Took a few big hits and just getting round to breaking my down for next week when I noticed the scuff and thought fuck! I'm visiting my LBS in the morning for some headset bearings as looks the wet weather got the best of them so will see what they think. I just thought it looked a bit odd like a metal on metal grind.
  • supersonic
    If you've never lifted the seals out and cleaned under/lubed, then this could be a contributor. though after 4 years, this is not unexpected.
  • I'll probs try doing at full service and replacing the seals though I'm assuming the only issues I may get are more crap getting in and a more regular service needed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just keep it serviced and ride it until they pack up...keep an eye out for some CSU's cheap on ebay!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Would need a crown steer and some new bushes to rectify that damage. For as long as they work just use them.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Like others have said, keep em serviced, whack some new seals in and keep going until they pack up.
  • Thanks guys, I managed to get to the LBS and they basically advised nowt you can do and that forks would eventually fail (leak air) they also advised their £90 service would be not be worthwhile. Think I learnt a lesson that no matter how much you look after your bike and service it regularly the forks are most certainly not fit and forget if regularly used.

Anyone got any 120mm Reba's for sale?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You haven't serviced the forks though, so you can't be surprised they've failed! They've done well.
  • The Rookie
    We have 2 sets of 2006 Manitous still going fine.....they do get serviced though....not sure why that wear will cause an air leak though as the air pressure is inside the stanchion and they'll be shot long before you wear right through!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    I change my bike regularly every 20 years! This is why I am happy to have springs rather than air forks. No need to bother with internal servicing.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Lagrange wrote:
    I change my bike regularly every 20 years! This is why I am happy to have springs rather than air forks. No need to bother with internal servicing.
    eb6.jpg?1307463786
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Lagrange wrote:
    I am happy to have springs rather than air forks
    What?
  • The Rookie
    The man is clearly an idiot and shouldn't be responded to directly, his village gets very upset if they think another wants to poach him.