Cycling etiquette

miller153
miller153 Posts: 17
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
Was out on my bike this morning for a bit of a recreational ride at a light pace when I came up to a junction where a young lady (say the normal hello and what have ya) turns across the road and starts riding in front of me at about the pace I was riding along at.. Now I sit at this pace for a bit when it crosses my mind she might think I'm sitting behind on purpose, so I pick up the pace a little to pass as dont want to spoil her Sunday morning ride out. Now as I've passed her it now looks like I've over taken because I'm a bloke and have to show how fast I am...
What would other people do in this situation and what are the women riders views on having people riding behind them?

Comments

• I couldn't give a rat's todger what other cyclists think. I ride at my own pace and for my own benefit.

If it's faster or slower than Fat Barry/Sally or Trim Jim/Lynne matters not one jot.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Bike - clothes - a55

It's the order of things :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Much do to about nothing, really. :roll:
  • Had she got a nice @rse?

If so bad move. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Had she got a nice @rse?

Damn, beat me to it :D
    If someone goes past you it's up to them to keep a distance IMO. I was going up the Via Gellia in Derbyshire this morning and a rider from Ashbourne CC (hello if you're reading this) passed me. I jumped on his wheel and he made my ride a lot easier for the next mile or two :D
  • random man wrote:
    Had she got a nice @rse?

Damn, beat me to it :D
    If someone goes past you it's up to them to keep a distance IMO. I was going up the Via Gellia in Derbyshire this morning and a rider from Ashbourne CC (hello if you're reading this) passed me. I jumped on his wheel and he made my ride a lot easier for the next mile or two :D
    Bloody "wheelsucker" you're always doing that to me. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

• nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    if you're both going at the same speed, then why not "share the wind"
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Don't overtake. Ride alongside her and chat her up. Could have ended up shagging her in some woods.
  • rodgers73 wrote:
    Don't overtake. Ride alongside her and chat her up. Could have ended up shagging her in some woods.

Er, so what is your success rate with that?
  • rodgers73
    Massive.
  • rodgers73 wrote:

Er, so what is your success rate with that?
    You only have to look at his user name. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

• rodgers73
    Oh yes.
  • zippy483
    zippy483 Posts: 104
    Would that be 73 year olds then ;)
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    miller153 wrote:
    Was out on my bike this morning for a bit of a recreational ride at a light pace when I came up to a junction where a young lady (say the normal hello and what have ya) turns across the road and starts riding in front of me at about the pace I was riding along at.. Now I sit at this pace for a bit when it crosses my mind she might think I'm sitting behind on purpose, so I pick up the pace a little to pass as dont want to spoil her Sunday morning ride out. Now as I've passed her it now looks like I've over taken because I'm a bloke and have to show how fast I am...
    What would other people do in this situation and what are the women riders views on having people riding behind them?

You sir need to MTFU. :D

What on earth is happening to the Aplha male these days ??????????
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • So what was wrong with riding alongside for a while, see where she is going, if she would appreciate a tow. You never know, she may have been an ideal riding companion. It is possible for boys to talk to girls without trying to shag them.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    HiDidleyHi wrote:
    It is possible for boys to talk to girls without trying to shag them.

Are you sure you're on the right forum? :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • :roll:
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    To open up the discussion a bit more, was she wearing team kit? In which case had she earned the right to? What if she was wearing a T de F yellow/spotted/green jersey? What then?

Any opinions Cake Stoppers?
  • No team kit, but proper road attire. Looked very fine indeed and could of quite happily have sat behind for ages but would she of appreciated me sat behind, probably not so was after a little discussion as to what people might do or have done in same situation...
  • rodgers73
    zippy483 wrote:
    Would that be 73 year olds then ;)

Works for Wayne Rooney :D