for newbies worried about hills ..

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
For all the beginners like me who ask about hills and the best way to deal with them,then get a load of willy waving answers about mashing the gears up them and out the saddle charging etc, then have a look at this vid.The hard bit comes after 8mins but try and view it all.
Basically what it shows is that the majority of cyclists dont fly up hills or mash away etc,they struggle,work and even walk.So take a lot of whats said on here with a pinch of salt and listen to the genuine posters who offer good advice and help and there are lots on here.
Finally,like I do now,dont get down hearted because your struggling when in reality even experianced cyclists can struggle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhItPJpGC_4

ps..lot of nice light carbon bikes being pushed aswel.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• I've had very few cyclists pass me on steep hills, usually it's just as I go over the top when they all pass me. Good vid BTW I enjoyed it.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Excellent, thanks for sharing.

Nice to know others suffer too!! :D
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Good old mow cop. I'm looking forward to pedalling squares up there again in march!

Note to self....I really need to keep out on the bike over the next few months...
    Now..where's that tin of quality street?...... :lol:
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Leemerlin wrote:
    Good old mow cop. I'm looking forward to pedalling squares up there again in march!

Note to self....I really need to keep out on the bike over the next few months...
    Now..where's that tin of quality street?...... :lol:
    :D nice one.Mow is on my to do list,hopefully march also.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Elderone makes a great point. As a newbie (so new that I don't collect my first bike til this afternoon) I've worried about looking a plum, hills, technical issues & lack of knowledge etc etc etc. Guess we just have to remember that even the "willy wavers" had to start somewhere eh?

So ... To hell with it ... Head down and crack on!
    Still thinking of something clever to say!