DIY build - frame & forks

BigColUK
BigColUK Posts: 69
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I have tried to repair/maintain my bike this on several occasions this year but have learned the very expensive lesson that I shouldn't try and do something which I haven't done before on my [rather expensive] pride & joy. The costs to fix the damage caused by my ignorance has far outweighed getting my lbs to do all the work :oops: .

So....I've decided to build my own HT bike from scratch. My intention is to use the how-to guides in mags, YouTube and if necessary, some 1-2-1 sessions with a qualified mechanic. This will hopefully give me a good insight into how different parts of a bike fit together without risking my main steed.

My plan is to add bits to the bike over time (and pay days, birthday, etc) sourced from classified ads, auction sites, etc.

To get me started, I would really welcome some advice on which frame & forks to look out for. I would like to build something a bit different and while I want to keep the cost as low as possible, I would be willing to spend a little more of the frame so that it doesn't limit me later on down the line. I'm looking for a large frame for trail riding, XC, etc so I am hoping that there will be plenty of second hand ones around. Ideally, I would something which doesn't look too dull - I've always liked the "personality" of the bright coloured Santa Cruz frames.

With the forks, I am looking for something with around 120-140mm travel and are not too complicated to strip down and rebuild.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Col.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Need a rough idea of budget really. Frame size will depend on the geometry.
  • MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    Ragley, Cotic, on-one .. all make good frames
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most mid range forks are pretty similar in the strip and rebuild department, I've done Manitous (Skareb, Black, Sliver and Axel - some were modified as well), Suntour (XC and Raidon) and Rockshox (Recon XC (travel increased from 100-130mm) and they were all much of a muchness.

I'm assuming you don't want to spend much...most the midrange bikes have frames just as worthy of a good build as those from more expensive bikes, my carrera (link in sig) has just gone sub 11Kg in my Christmas (present) rebuild.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks! Budget wise I'm thinking 300-400 for the frame and maybe a couple of hundred for the forks.

While my MTB skills and fitness are getting better, I am still a novice when it comes to understanding what the different geometries mean to the ride. I'm 6'3 with fairly long legs and find my Spesh Stumpjumper fsr Large frame to be about right (although I have reduced the stem to 70mm). I had a XL Stumpy HT for a while and found that it was quite a stretch to the bars so didn't feel comfortable on it.

I'm just wondering if it would be more cost effective to by a used complete bike and just strip it down & rebuild it? By the time I buy wheels, drivetrain, brakes, etc, the cost will be four figures which would go quite far in the used market.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That budget would buy a new OnOne 456 carbon frame and a pair of Rockshox Revelations.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Or an OnOne Whippet and some Reba's :wink: Depending on whether you'd prefer a long travel hardtail or not.
  • Thanks all. Looks like a go for the onone frame. Just need to decide on travel.