Building wheels...

jolmes
jolmes Posts: 144
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just hoping someone has some knowledge with building wheels, have been given some dt swiss 4.2d rims and some Nukeproof Generator hubs (2012), using what I have found on the internet with spoke calculators and so on, I'm not even sure I'm using them right but it's coming up with the following for the spoke sizes, being a complete numtpy when it comes to building wheels, will be getting a mate to do it for me but I'd just like some clarification for myself really whether or not these are right...

Front left 262.5mm
Front rear 261.9mm

Rear left 265.5mm
Rear right 263.2mm

Cheers for any help/suggestions :)

Comments

• Try a few calcs and see what you get from each.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    what measurements are you using for the hubs and rims and where did you get them from?
  • jolmes
    Straight from the Nukeproof website and have checked with CRC too...

Front -
    32-hole
    Width: 100mm (15mm & QR)
    International Standard 6 bolt disc brake interface
    67mm flange diameter, Spoke PCD 58mm, Spoke Hole Diameter 2.3mm
    22mm left side centre-to-flange distance
    29mm right side centre-to-flange distance
    11.3mm End of axle to disc mount face

Rear -
    32-hole
    Width: 135mm
    International Standard 6 bolt disc brake interface
    67mm flange diameter, Spoke PCD 58mm, Spoke Hole Diameter 2.3mm
    34.5mm non-drive side centre-to-flange diameter
    19mm drive side centre-to-flange diameter
    15.3mm end of axle to disc mount face

The Rims have an ERD of 544mm

Have put all the info into several websites now and some are really really off but there are two which are extremely close, wheel pro and spocalc, each are within 0.3mm of each other...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    0.3mm is well within the error bounds and is tiny.
  • schweiz
    You don't say how many 'crosses' you will use in the build but using Wheel Pro (http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/) I get:

Front

2ajb7rs.png

Rear

b6q97c.png
  • jolmes
    Thanks for taking the time to do that schweiz, appreciate it. Yeah I was going to use 3 crosses for them. Using the actual dt swiss website, spocalc spreadsheet and Wheel Pro, its given me three results so close together it would be daft to ignore them.

Thanks again, time to order some spokes!
  • schweiz
    No worries.

For information, I've built many wheels using the spokecalc and never had a problem yet
  • jolmes
    Ahh that's good to know, credible sources... plus the spoke configuration on your bikes looks rather smart. Another quickie, is it worth buying the spokes a couple of mm larger, like 263/264mm?
  • supersonic
    What length nipples are you using?
  • jolmes
    Damn knew I was forgetting something, been so focused trying to get the spoke length right I forgot about those and to be totally honest, I'm not sure yet. I take it which ever size nipples I choose has an impact on the length of spokes I get?
  • supersonic
    Most calculators assume 12mm. For very 2mm of nipple length on that, subtract 1mm off the spoke length. With DT nipples at any rate.
  • schweiz
    jolmes wrote:
    Ahh that's good to know, credible sources... plus the spoke configuration on your bikes looks rather smart. Another quickie, is it worth buying the spokes a couple of mm larger, like 263/264mm?

I built the wheels on the singlespeed (DT PG Spokes), a couple of ultegra/CXP 33 wheelsets (DT DB Spokes) and a power tap/CXP 33 (DT Aerolite and a 2x/3x mixed) and also rebuilt a couple of mountain bike wheels. Roger Musson's book is worth the money and then some!

If you can't get the spoke length you are after, it's better to go slightly (1-2 mm) longer rather than shorter as building wheels with short spokes can be hard work!

I was assuming 12 mm nipples as it's pretty much the standard length that gets delivered with the spokes. As supersonic says...with 14 mm nipples = spoke length - 1 mm.