Best winter sock/overshoe combination?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited December 2012 in Road general
I've used wool socks with ordinary sports socks other them and a waterproof overshoe, sometimes a sports sock and a waterproof sock over them and then the overshoes but still not sure what would be best for a long cold ride.

Any tips? (I'm too skint to buy winter shoes)

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I wear Woolie Bollie socks with PRO NPU Tarmac overshoes when it's really cold, and just use normal mid weight socks with the overshoes when it's not so cold. I've never needed anything more.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Good neoprene overshoes and a good pair of socks is enough i find
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    For socks, I find Endura's cheap winter version work well. I like their plain white summer ones too.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    woolie boolie/prendas for me ..
  • I had been using a neoprene campagnolo overshoe but zip has burst, had been wearing them over mtb shoes so perhaps that was a factor. Going to continue to use them as will still cover foot zipping up to halfway and more or less do the job, that being windproof and cope with light drizzle.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    woolie boolies seem to be a favourite
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Having a slightly bigger shoe means you can wear thicker socks without restricting circulation. I've worn woolie boolies with my Sidi boots and neoprene overshoes for 5 hour rides in the snow at minus 10 degrees.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..