Shoes, and more specifically insoles

Choddo
Choddo Posts: 16
edited December 2012 in Road buying advice
This will probably sound like a daft question. I've just ordered some Sidi Ergos, which I certainly don't need but the price was too tempting. I saw a review by Competitive Cyclist which said the insoles are crap and recommended replacing them with some thermo mouldable ones. I quite fancy trying this as I want to get them as comfortable as possible - the brand they recommended (Louis Garneau) don't seem to be sold in the UK - I've only been able to find these which are also at a very good price - probably worth spending that just to try them but I've got Internet Research Syndrome.

So are these thermo things worthwhile? Do they work as well as they claim? And if so, would the Shimanos fit most shoes?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Those insoles looking poor. The support looks incredibly weak. The only drop-ins I'd pay for are Superfeet or Specialized (surprisingly impressive for the money). Other than that you can have customs done by real pros like Hamish at ProFeet, Colin at Solutions4Feet or Adrian at Cadance Sport.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Choddo
    Choddo Posts: 16
    Thanks, I've watched a couple of other videos since and I see what you mean, those ones look like they offer no arch support at all. I'll investigate your recommendations - cheers!
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I always replace Sidi insoles with Specialized Footbeds. They are simply insoles (not mouldable) but I find they provide more than adequate support for my feet for not too much ££. The Sidi blue insoles are nigh on useless (but their shoes are great!).

Peter
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,661
    imho sidi insoles are flimsy rubbish, as above, a good option is to replace with spesh bg ones

red (+) 'normal' arch support (more than most insoles give)

blue (++) extra arch support

green (+++) lots of arch support

if you're not sure, try watching in the mirror how your ankles move when walking barefoot, if they rolls inwards as your foot lands then it's a sign that extra arch support may be useful, another sign can be if your knees move in at the top of the pedal stroke (but legs etc. are complicated, these are just generalisations, not absolutes!)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny