Quick release clamp is not clamping tight enough

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I am finding the quick release seat clamp to be very difficult. It needs a stupid amount of force to close it otherwise the seat moves (nose rotates slightly to the left but also drifts down over the course of 20 minutes or so). Today I couldn't even get it closed properly although it was gritted up.

Are there any better ones out there?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what clamp is it?

have you removed it and cleaned it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Try a shimano deore one. Best there is, but they're not light!
  • Non named brand off a rockrider 8.1.

Yes Ive stripped it all down and cleaned it. The seat post itself has a very greasy surface also, should I degrease the thing?

Thanks
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Oops never realised it was a seat clamp, doh! Seatposts quite often have a bit of grease on them so they don't seize inside the seat tube. If you don't use the QR an awful lot I'd recommend a plain old bolt up clamp. I recently changed mine as it wasn't clamping hard enough and i've had no problems since.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Non named brand off a rockrider 8.1.

Yes Ive stripped it all down and cleaned it. The seat post itself has a very greasy surface also, should I degrease the thing?

Thanks
    Some grease is needed to stop it seizing. But that should not effect the clamping.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The piece of metal that sits between the lever and the body is really thin. Maybe this is why its not very good.

20121223_230939_zpscb2de857.jpg
  • I've bent the lever on my qr just through having to do it up tight enough to stop the exact same problem. Just kinda got used to it now. It's fine unless the going gets rough and I don't have the energy left to stand on the pedals.

Never had a problem with my Non-QR clamp though, if you really don't use a QR that much then switch to a standard clamp. If I'm going on an XC jaunt then I tend to take the QR clamp off as I don't really need to move the seat much. The other option, slightly more expensive, is to get an adjustable seatpost.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As it's metal on metal (most use a Nylon bush) that needs to be kept lubed to prevent the friction dominating the lever closing force rather than the clamp load.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • As it's metal on metal (most use a Nylon bush) that needs to be kept lubed to prevent the friction dominating the lever closing force rather than the clamp load.

After cleaning it all up and applying a bit of grease to the metal bushing, it was much much better. Thanks.