My Specialized Allez Sport 2011

naufal90
naufal90 Posts: 71
edited December 2012 in Your road bikes
Hi all. I am new to bikes world. Have had extreme bikes when was in school but stopped for almost 7 years now never cycling again apart from those chunky Barclays bikes around Central London :lol: Never thought of gonna go on bikes again until last 3 weeks when I used my mate's road bike to buy some groceries from the store. I found it to be different experience! What I can say it is thrilling! I kept dreaming of buying one since then haha. After two weeks of research, I finally bought a used Specialized Allez 2011 (don't have much budget to buy new one though as it is Xmas and have spent a lot buying other stuff). I haven't ridden it yet as still looking for certain parts to complete the bike before riding it for first time :)

I am considered a beginner and please show me your guidances as now I am really excited every time I see bike on road. I started to go to bike shops to see any good deal I can grab haha. With an initial low budget, I have consoled myself to get better bike but this is what I can afford ATM. have to be grateful with it as first bike. Thanks for reading :)

5552D19B-A728-45D0-B4D4-342593237B58-1890-000001A992FA41B2.jpg

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    That looks perfectly respectable for a first road bike. And when you start to want something more expensive, it will serve you well as a second/winter bike. Expect to be wound up about that bell though!
  • Trikeman
    Trikeman Posts: 151
    Hi, well done on your choice.

Allez are great bikes, had one for donkey's and is still a cracking bike - bombproof and you can get bits anywhere.

Enjoy it and get used to it - you wont need to start upgrading until something breaks and see you right for a few years to come.

Regards,

Trikeman. :wink:
    With a huff and a puff the old man gets to the top - eventually ;o

After one enormous 'cull' this is all that's left.
    Sabbath September Ti.
    Specialized Stumpjumper Pro FSR.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Nice bike!

Only one thing though - you seriously need to change that sofa.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Thanks all for the nice comment :) I don't know actually whether this is a great choice. I did basic research and my luck brought me to this bike. Haha yeah I just bought a saddle from someone in this forum yesterday. Waiting for it to arrive :) just bought bottle holder, glove, and new bar tape as I want sthg new and fresh feel/look (even tho this is a used bike) :p

Right now, I am so enthusiastic to know more about bikes!!! I started to feel like upgrading the bike bit by bit lol. Will do lots of beginner training as will prob use it to go to uni. In 2 or 3 months time when spring comes, looking forward to join any tour or whatsoever haha! Can't say how excited I am but really enjoying this feeling now. Yes, really hope this bike will be a perfect choice as my 1st bike and won't disappoint me for the foreseeable future. Cheers guys :)
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Also make sure you read up about fitting yourself to the bike. That saddle looks REALLY low. Fitting makes a huge difference to efficiency :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • naufal90
    naufal90 Posts: 71
    edited December 2012
    Haha will update on the improvement soon after all parts are gathered :) anyone here have any idea where I can find reasonably prices bike service? The guy who sold me told me he had done the service 2 months ago but my OCD just won't buy it and feel like sending it for like basic checkup. But I saw online they charge cheapest £30! Anyone in central London doing independent job in helping members around here? I'm in Camden town area :)
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Services usually don't do much unless your bike is in a really bad state. £30 for a service sounds okay in comparison to most stores in London. However, the labor work is minimal and IMO not worth the money since you could probably do it yourself by just checking over simple stuff.

A basic service will usually provide the following:
    Tune gears/Brakes
    Check tyres and parts for wear (If a shop tells you your chain and cassette are worn, I wouldn't neccasarily believe them)
    Degrease and lubricate drive train
    (That's about it)

If you want to be sure whether your bike is okay just do the following:

Check the brake pads for wear. If the grooves are still visible then they're fine.

Check the brakes, does the front and rear work when you pull on the lever and how far does it extend. The lever should not extend too far.

Check the shifting, it should shift through all the gears.

Check the tyres for wear, small slits are OK but deep cracks may mean you need to replace them. Also make sure the quick releases are secure on the wheels.

Get some degreaser and lubricant to first clean then lubricate the chain/cassette/front rings. This is the main bit of maintenance you'll need to do.

You just saved £30, minus lube/degreaser.

If you need further info/detail just youtube some videos on how to do stuff. Most of this stuff only requires an allen key tool. You'll save loads of money and it'll give you the satisfaction of being able to do it yourself.
  • Hi TakeTurns,

That's very useful info for me! Me too think that £30 for just 'checking' is not worth paying. I will try to learn basic stuff and do it myself :)

Currently my bike runs on Specialized Mondo Sport 700x23c tyres. I am planning on getting some new tyres for my own satisfaction. TBH, I want to get a red lining tyre to match the red stripe on the frame. I like Schwalbe Ultremo ZX black/red but they were £60 a pair and £15 for fitting.

I don't have enough budget as has spent a lot on the bike. Any suggestion on which tyre is the best and cheapest?? Here are some options I have on mind now:

1) Schwalbe Ultremo ZX (£60 a pair)
    2) Schwalbe Lugano (£20 a pair)
    3) Vittoria Rubino Pro (£40 a pair)
    4) Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps (£50 a pair)
    5) Veloflex Master 20 (£50 a pair)
    6) Continental GP4000 (£60 a pair)

Must be RED! Would prefer black/red rather than entirely red lol. When given this choices, most will tend to go for the most expensive but since my priority is budget, pls give opinion for which will have best value for money. Thanks in advance :)
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    If I were you, I would fit them myself and save £15. You'll need to be able to do it anyway, for when you get punctures. I've found that http://www.bike-discount.de/ is a good place to buy tyres. The prices tend to be cheaper than UK sites and the delivery is quick.