Turbo trainer wheel

davala95
davala95 Posts: 86
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Been recommended to get an old/cheap wheel to use on the turbo trainer as they receive some heavy wear.

Any suggestions?
bianchi via nirone 7 reparto corse 2008 alu/carbon 105

http://app.strava.com/athletes/1248390

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    It's more the tyre that receives wear, rather than the wheel. Any wheel then a turbo specific tyre would do you good. Get gears that match your current ones for it.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Trouble is if you buy an old rear wheel, you'll also need to buy a cassette to fit on it. I have a spare wheel (including a spare cassette) and I still just use my normal road wheel/tire as it's just too much of a pain to swap over

Yes you're adding wear to your tire, but I prefer that to the pain of swapping over the rear wheel every time I want to use the turbo. I guess it depends on how often you are going to use the turbo.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I use a spare rear wheel (cheap FSA OEM from Wiggle a coupleof years back, and got a cassette in the sales), as well as a turbo-specific tyre. Now I can swap wheels depending on whether I fancy a turbo or road session, takes less than a minute each time. Plus I've now got a spare rear wheel "Just in case" something happens out on the road to my main wheel set. Works for me... 8)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • You don't have to have a specific wheel and tyre.
    I've used my normal wheels on all my bikes, usually shod with Gators on my Cycleops...no problems with heat, wear, anything
    I suspect the only time you'd encounter problems was if you set it up wrong in the first place..usually too much pressure between the roller and The tyre. Set it with the minimum pressure required so it doesn't slip, you should be ok. I have been for 5 years.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I have one because I swap it between the road bike and TT bike in the winter.

Got the wheel and casette from Decathlon - one of their wheels and a 105 casette they had on offer. I already had the turbo tyre, but all in because I had some points vouchers at Decathlon the whole setup cost less than £70 (inc tyre)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I bought a cheap ally wheel with a cheap cassette and a continental turbo tyre, have this fitted to my spare road bike, this stays up on the turbo. It is a pain to keep swapping the wheels over if your using the bike outdoors regually. It would be ok if your inside more and only have to swap it over a couple of times.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    a spare wheel and cassette makes life easy, but DO get a trainer specific tyre - they are a different profile, with a much broader flatter footprint for better traction on the roller. They are also a roller-grip specific compund
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • okay thanks all. Information much appreciated

any ideas where i can get a decent spare wheel from for a low price?
    bianchi via nirone 7 reparto corse 2008 alu/carbon 105

http://app.strava.com/athletes/1248390
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    davala95 wrote:
    okay thanks all. Information much appreciated

Your LBS should be able to help here, I got mine all in for £40 :lol: (not halfords) you will get a much personal service and better rates at a LBS.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Just use your normal tyre, I initially used the one that came with my bike and it practically burned through it. Thought I needed to get a whole spare wheel with a trainer tyre, then I bought a cheap Victorria Zaffiro Pro tyre and touch wood it hasnt even worn down the little rubber bit that sticks out in the middle of the tyre.

I think the speed of the wear mainly depends on the tyre you have.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Spare bike on the turbo is ideal ;)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    davala95 wrote:
    okay thanks all. Information much appreciated

Don't waste money on new stuff for the turbo, have a look in the classifieds on here and buy a cheap heavy 2nd hand wheel. I got one with a tyre and cassette fitted for £40 delivered. I never use a turbo tyre, just bung on worn out road tyres as I change them from my road bikes.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I was thinking about getting a wheel, tyre, and cassette for the turbo but it just seemed too expensive... so I just put on a Giant PR3 tyre that came with the bike in place of a Conti-GP4000s so I don't feel so bad about the accelerated wear on the tyre.