What to do??.. *Using a Pace voodoo doll*

saprkzz
saprkzz Posts: 592
edited January 2013 in MTB general
I think i am in a little dilema, and cant really think how to get out of it.

3 months ago I put my bike into my LBS for a full service, new casstte & chain, and basically getting it back to its new state of order.
The problem is, i still dont have the bike back!!.. 3 MONTHS AGO!..

Now i wont name and shame the LBS, because its tecnically not their fault, although I dont think they are helping to get my bike sorted.

The had completed the bike, all down to the rear shock.. my bike is the Trek 9.9 SSL, (as in picture)

123-1.jpg

Now this as a DT Swiss rear shock, and aparently te "DU BUSH" is worn and needs replacing, 2 and a halfs months ago Pace Cycles (who supply DT Swiss) said they were sending it, a few days later, they say they have to make it and blah blah... 3 months on, and I still dont have my bike... The shop say to replace the rear shock its going to cost £350.

I really dont want to pay £350 for the shock when its just a stupid damm little bush that needs replacing, which costs less than £10!!

Pace suck big time, and if I end i having to buy a new shock, i really dont want to send my money their way.

Where do i stand?.. what would you do in my situation?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• How old is the bike? If it is fairly new and within warranty I would be pushing the shop to replace to shock and claim their money back from Pace as this is a silly waiting time.

If all else fails, write to the head office complaining for both the shop, the importer and DT Swiss. Have you tried speaking to DT Swiss already?
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Mountain Monster, it looks to be a few years old. Most of the recent Top Fuels came with Fox Shocks. I also wouldn't complain to the importer (Hotlines) as it is a different company to the the Service Centre (Pace)

I'd go in to the shop, ask to speak to the manager and ask him what is he willing to do for you. It's not really the shops fault that Pace are taking so long but it is poor service from the shop that they aren't chasing Pace up.

Just so you know, Hotlines, the UK distributor for DT Swiss have the bush kit for the body in stock. It's part number: 314023 but they don't have the one in for the shaft which is part number: 314017. This is due middle of February.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not sure exactly what bit you're looking for but CRC have some:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=16739

Bike components seem to have some.

http://www.bike-components.de/index.php ... 131&order=

Whether they're the right size I don't know, but those were the first two to come up on Google, so....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    CRC due in mid Feb in that size. Bit of a bugger.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 2x10
    2x10 Posts: 79
    Any chance of getting a local machine shop to turn one up for you? Not a satisfying solution but might get you riding again.
  • if i was you i would first get you bike back, i know its not fixed but if the LBS is not helping getting it sorted just tell then to put it back together as it was when you brought it into them and take it away.

then at least you have it back and then have the option of ordering the part on the net and waiting untill its in stock or ring round all the big bike stores and see if they have it in. you could even ebay it and find a new or second hand one.

you have the patience is a virtue, 8) 3 months. :!: because no shop would have my bike that long :twisted:

go and get you bike back then decide
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Thanks for the help. I will take a look at them part numbers.

Unfortunatley the bike is a 2009 model so not in the warrenty.

I dont actually know what the part is that's worn. I have the unit at my house. I have a bad feeling that if I want this bike fixed, I am going to have to buy a new unit :(.. Maybe I can get a different part on like Fox, really dont want to spend any money with Pace.
  • saprkzz wrote:
    Thanks for the help. I will take a look at them part numbers.

Unfortunatley the bike is a 2009 model so not in the warrenty.

I dont actually know what the part is that's worn. I have the unit at my house. I have a bad feeling that if I want this bike fixed, I am going to have to buy a new unit :(.. Maybe I can get a different part on like Fox, really dont want to spend any money with Pace.

i would you you dont want to be spening any more money at that bike shop, its not like they have been very helpfull.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    A Fox rear shock will fit as the Top Fuel frames remained the same suspension design through it's life span. The eye to eye length is 6.5" and the stroke is 1.5"

First though, I'd go and talk to the bike shop manager, tell him you are very dissatisfied with the service they have offered, that you would like the shock returned to you at no charge (if Pace have carried out the work, that's something the shop will have to sort out with Pace) and some form of compensation for the delay in getting the bike repaired
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Ah Pace!

The frames are good but that's where it stops! Fricking shower.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.