Looking for upgrade suggestions

Keefey03
Keefey03 Posts: 7
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I ride a 2012 stumpjumper fsr comp evo. I really like the bike and finally seem to have the suspension set up just so. As I don't posses the ability to leave things standard I was hoping for some good suggestions for what to change upgrade and what benefits I could see? I've only been riding 8 months but love it. I ride Gisburn and Llandegla most often.

Many thanks :roll:

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What doesn't do what you want it to do?
    How much do you want to spend?
    What is the current spec?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • What do you want to change, and why? Wat parts are you not happy with?

What do you hope to achieve? Do you want it to be lighter? If so, new wheels will probably make the biggest impact, then tyres, then contact points. Not much point changing out the drivetrain unless the cranks are extremely heavy.
  • It's standard at the mo:

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.u ... Comp%20EVO

I'd like it to be a bit lighter on its feet if I'm honest and would like to look at a bulkier but lighter head set. I'm also looking to build myself a hardtail to learn better bike mechanics. Any suggestions on low cost light quality frames?

Thanks
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Dump the sram kit if you want, but it's not a bike that is crying out for upgrade.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • You seem very muddled. First you want to change bits then are looking for a new frame when yours is 8 months old. A new headset will solve marginally more than zero.
  • Oh sorry is it not ok to have 2 bikes? Like it says been riding a short period and looking to build a second bike as a learning experience. Most of the people I've met in this short period run more than one bike. Cheers for your comment
  • You can have as many bikes as you can get away with.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    This is why i tend to build my own bike. I would be mightily p*ssed if i had spent £2,500 on a bike that i wasn't then happy with. That said, the process of building your own can be protracted, and if not careful, expensive.

For me this boils down to whether you are changing things for the sake of changing them, or whether there is something you feel could be improved on the bike, and that's what you want to change.

Your problem is that after spending so much on a bike, you are getting into diminishing returns territory by spending any significant money on it. Spending £400 on a new wheel set will save you a few hundred grams, but the bike is unlikely to feel £400 better as a result.

Whilst building my current bike the most effective changes i have made (of varying cost) have been tyres, suspension tuning, wider bars and pedals (in that order). The rest was largely cosmetic and satisfied my desire to have said components rather than impacting how good the bike was.

In answer to your question, I would only change what you are unhappy with.
  • Correctly you understand my need to tinker will just waste good money on a bike I am already very happy with. I think I will put my efforts into building the aforementioned hardtail. With a focus on being light and using second hard parts that make a nice ride what would you suggest. This questions sounds vague and as if I have little bike knowledge, largely because it is and I do.

Thanks
  • cooldad
    Where do you want to ride it, and how much do you want to spend?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • No more than £500 total. Would use it for general trail riding
  • cooldad
    Buy one of these.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2012-id_8 ... ctFeatures
    You won't build anything as good for the price.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks. Lots of bike for the money! It was more the learning curve of a build I was looking for though. Understanding the mechanics better without messing around with my specialized
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    What doesn't do what you want it to do?
    + Potato.
  • cooldad
    Keefey03 wrote:
    Thanks. Lots of bike for the money! It was more the learning curve of a build I was looking for though. Understanding the mechanics better without messing around with my specialized
    It's just a bicycle. If you want, buy one take it to bits and then put it back together again.
    Or just learn to fettle and fix things as they need it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Buy a second hand bike and rebuild/upgrade it.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500