Wheel spinning ??

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
No sure how to explain this but, while my bike is upside down (changing tyres) the rear wheel doesn't spin particularly freely ??

Like when spinning the cranks and letting go, the wheel stops spinning fairly quickly rather than spinning freely for a while.

Can;t see anything obstructing it either :?

Any ideas folks ?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Stiff bearings in the hubs. Stiff freehub. Brake rub, tyre rub. All of these or some in combination.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • as above, could be dry bearngs in the rear wheel, could be brake dragging (V or Disc???) could be kackered free hub body,
    many dfferfent variables, could be over tight QR on cup and cone hubs?
    does the wheel spin freely when out of the bike?? (wrap a rag around the cassette to stop it digging in your hands ad give it a spin) if its free spinning then you can tick that off the list, or does it sound dry and gumbly????
    could be that the wheel needs good service,

What wheel and set up isi???
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • RandG
    Update: Took the pads out, gave the caliper a spray of brake cleaner etc, then tried to replace the pads....like for ages, and they wouldn't seem to fit back in again. Seemed like a small metal brace of sorts was restricting either of the pads from going back in. Took out small brace and replaced the pads, re fitted the wheel and it spun up happily again....

However, the I have never had the pads out before, I have never felt and issue before with the wheel, and now the lever on the brake comes almost back to the bar, and I still have left over this small metal thing :?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What brakes? Generally bits that come out should go back in again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    RandG wrote:
    Took out small brace and replaced the pads, ................
    and I still have left over this small metal thing
    :?
      elixir 3's on your boardman ? are you talking about one of these ?
      BR6834.jpg
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • RandG
      Agreed, what comes out should go back in, but only way of getting pads back in was to remove said item.

Chez....no, on my spesh rockhopper, juicy 3's but yes similar thing. :?

aztec-avid-juicy-organic-pads.jpg
    • chez_m356
      chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
      RandG wrote:
      Agreed, what comes out should go back in, but only way of getting pads back in was to remove said item.

Chez....no, on my spesh rockhopper, juicy 3's but yes similar thing. :?
          point 24 on page 24 on this
        http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/avid/dea ... MY08_E.pdf
        Position the h-spring between the two pads. the curved handle of inner pad should face toward inboard side of caliper. Squeeze the pad and spring assembly together, then firmly push into the caliper until it ‘clicks’ into place, indicat- ing it is properly secured in the caliper body.
        Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
      • RandG
        Outstanding find, I'll try and sort that tonight, away out on it now, so no time at the mo.

Cheers. 8)