Advice please

GinjaNinja13o
GinjaNinja13o Posts: 3
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Hi Guys:)
Right I hope this really doesn't sound like a daft question but here goes:
I've been cycling a lot this last year following years of never getting on a bike. Now I'm totally addicted.
I splashed out in June and treated myself to a Boardman hybrid comp ( yes I'm waiting for a comment about halfords)
I've found it to be a great bike but I'm am however now starting to think about going to a full road bike. It would have to be a £500ish jobby and lots of peeps are saying to me not to bother and keep going on the boardman as I wouldn't notice a difference on a sub £500 bike vs the boardman? I just feel I'd do better on a road bike ESP as I've done a few tris and i want to become a better cyclist And I'd like to improve!? My husbands totally unsupportive of another bike in our house so I'd have to sell the boardman:( so I really don't want to be disappointed with its replacement!
Hope that all makes sense- I just want advice from you lovely knowledgeable people;-)

Thanks x

Comments

• Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    What will you use the new bike for? Maybe a good idea would be test riding a few road bikes at your local bike shop (around the budget you have in mind) and then see if it's something you want to pursue :) Worst case scenario would be selling the Boardman for a fraction of what you got it for, and then buying a road bike only to find it's not the scale of improvement you were expecting! Good luck :)
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    £500 is really only getting into the low entry level of road bikes, so I can see where some would think there won't be much difference. But there will be a difference due to the different riding position and it would likely be more comfortable to ride for longer periods because of the different hand positions available.

There are some that buck the trend (Decathlon Triban 3 with carbon forks for £300), but if you will have to sell the Boardman and you have £500 anyway, add what you get for the old bike to your budget. You may then have the likes of this, this, or this within reach.

I'd get round the local shops and try a few road bikes out first though, then you'll see what the difference really is. :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Hi for what it's worth I had exactly the same dilemma a couple of months ago... Got hooked riding round on a hybrid but really wanted a road bike and got a sub £500 dawes giro 400. To start with I was glad I didn't spend too much as I was rather underwhelmed so in someway can understand your friends comments.. But there's no doubt the ride position and better hand positions help. I did however notice a huge difference when I got a defy 1 but its nearer the £1k mark, however if you like your other boardman they have just released a £500 road bike, if your a member of British cycling you can get another 10% off it as well :D that will pay for some decent pedals!
    Get yourself down to halfords and try out the feel of the riding position etc and go from there
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I'd advise you to start perusing the classifieds and keep an eye on the sales. You don't want to be paying RRP.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I would flip the stem (if it's pointing upwards now) & remove (if necessary) any or all spacers. Slap some nice bar ends on at just above horizontal & try that before changing what you have now. :wink:

You'll get more hand position options & a racier riding position.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • When you look at that £500 boardman road bike, it reiterates just what damn good value that triban 3 is!! :shock:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Giant defy range are excellent value for money. I have a4 which I got for £599 and its a very nice bike
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    At 500 quid I'd be looking at used bikes, you'll get far more for your money.

This is almost within your budget and it's a decent bike:
    http://www.biker-boarder.de/shopware/Ca ... sgCurr=GBP
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Thanks all- thats really helpful
    :D
    I just wanted some clarification on whether I am justified in thinking of getting a road bike as my friends and family just don't understand!!
    Im going to try and have a shop round and then see if I can find a buyer for the Boardman:)

Thanks Again:)

x