WHICH MTB Rockrider 8.1/ Giant Revel 0.5 / Scott Aspect 630

robertfarr1
robertfarr1 Posts: 9
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello

Im looking to purchase a MTB for the £500 mark for tow paths and also going up into the woods. I have read comments on here and other forums about the bikes, but still cant make my mind up.

The rockrider 8.1 has brillant components, light weight, but frame and rims not very good (from what ive been told).
The Giant Revel 0.5 ive just had a look at lovely bike components are good. Its 32lbs in weight.
Scott Aspect 630 is a litle over budget but i dont know if its worth the extra £50-£100

Heres some links to the specifications of each bike, im new to understanding the components and pros and cons.

Rockrider 8.1
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2012-id_8168918.html Rockrider 8.1

Giant 0.5 Revel
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 861/56889/

Scott Aspect 630
http://www.dalescycles.com/2013-scott-a ... tAodDncAGg

Cheers Guys

I need help making my mind up

Rob

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    The Rockrider is the default response at this price point; I'd go for that.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No contest, the RR is head, shoulders and a a pair of step ladders above the others.
  • i do like the rockrider but my only problem with that is its 30 minute drive to my nearest one, and you only get 5 year guarantee on the frame. what do you think of the giant?
  • supersonic
    5 years is ample! Plus 2 years on the parts. The Giant is awful for the money, much less competent parts, heavier too.
  • supersonic wrote:
    No contest, the RR is head, shoulders and a a pair of step ladders above the others.

looks like im going for the rockrider lol can i ask how comes though? is it just components?
  • supersonic
    The fork is RRP £200 on its own, is found on some £2000 bikes! Is a really good piece of kit and makes a huge difference on the trails. Add to that a full Shimano Deore drivetrain, good brakes, frame made by Specialized, nice wheels, low weight and you have one of the best bikes under a grand, never mind £500.
  • You have sold it to me, the guys in decathlon weren't that clued up but if this is a top bike ill grab it.
    Shame I missed out on the deal at £350 on last years model. Do you know when the 2013 model will be out?
  • supersonic
    Difficult to tell with Decathlon - they only release every two years and this keeps cost down.
  • im off to my local store now they only had 1 large left earlier
    fingers crossed, thanks for the help
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are you sure you need a large?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • im 5ft 11 ive been told i need a 19 -20" frame. also went on the large in decathlon and it felt more comfortable than the xl.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    supersonic wrote:
    , frame made by Specialized.

I thought Specialized frames were made by Meridia? :?

Not that it's a bad thing!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • supersonic
    Lol, well Merida own Specilized, and they make Rockrider! So in a sense, Spesh make the frame ;-).
  • shame theres no vouchers or discounts at decathlon, ive searched the web but still £500 is still a bargain
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    supersonic wrote:
    Lol, well Merida own Specilized.

That I did not know(I knew Merida had a small interest in them). When did this happen?

Back on topic - big names brands would have to offer some spectacular discounts to be able to match the RR 8.1 for spec.

Pauls Cycles do some good discounts on previous years Giants, so they could worth a look, but even then the RR is still top of the league.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • agreed ill stick with the rockrider