Exotic Carbon MTB Frame

BRM_
BRM_ Posts: 52
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
As title, anyone have one / have any experience with these?

Looking at this one : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Cycles ... 20c35d91f7

Any other alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Carboncycles make decent stuff. Worth looking at the On One Whippet as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BRM_
    Thanks cooldad, I was hoping someone had one built up, I can't find any.

I'll have a look at the on one frames :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't believe they have been doing the frames for long, the geo is well detailed apart from head tube angle, and they are a bit lighter than the on-ones.....

Why they have to lumber it with unsightly and weight adding V-brake posts is beyond me though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I think they're overpriced, and I'd get a 29er.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Decent frame, we tested one a year ago. Seen it cheaper mind.
  • BRM_
    Thanks for the replies guys.

It's certainly not the cheapest but I think it is a better looking frame than others I have looked at.

It is also available in a disc only version which is what I would have.
  • BRM_
    supersonic wrote:
    Thanks, cheaper the better, care to share?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    BRM_ wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Got one on a hybrid to replace a black Chinese frame i had. Much stiffer, with no creaks or groans of the Chinese but the seat post is a pain in the ass if you want to use a 31.6mm post (one of the most common sizes). The bikes says it's 34.9mm but is in fact closer to 36 with a carbon shim to take it down to 34.9 and another white plastic shim to take it down to 31.6mm (one shim inside the other). The clamp didn't apply enough pressure to keep the post tight (even with carbon paste). This necessitated using a double clamp (also from Exotic) that used a shim to take it from 36 to 34 and then with another shim to take it down to 31mm (looks ugly). But it does work. Other than that, it's been a good frame....

ExoticChimney.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Seen them at 350 at Exotic when on sale.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have seen a few On One Whippets and if I was looking for a carbon frame this would easily be my choice can't see any reason to pay more money for the Ebay frame.
  • BRM_
    I decided to buy an On One 456 carbon frame instead, done a bit of research on here etc and seemed to be a better buy / more popular frame. I will be doing a build thread once I've got some bits.

I'm still learning so feel free to advise on components etc.

Thanks.
  • BRM_
    Ouija wrote:
    BRM_ wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Got one on a hybrid to replace a black Chinese frame i had. Much stiffer, with no creaks or groans of the Chinese but the seat post is a pain in the ass if you want to use a 31.6mm post (one of the most common sizes). The bikes says it's 34.9mm but is in fact closer to 36 with a carbon shim to take it down to 34.9 and another white plastic shim to take it down to 31.6mm (one shim inside the other). The clamp didn't apply enough pressure to keep the post tight (even with carbon paste). This necessitated using a double clamp (also from Exotic) that used a shim to take it from 36 to 34 and then with another shim to take it down to 31mm (looks ugly). But it does work. Other than that, it's been a good frame....

ExoticChimney.jpg
    I do love the look of this though, I was going for a hybrid but thought a xc would suit my needs better.
  • njee20
    Really don't get why you'd not get a 29er as a hybrid.
  • Ouija
    BRM_ wrote:

I do love the look of this though, I was going for a hybrid but thought a xc would suit my needs better.

Well, it's only a hybrid in that it has slick tyres on. Stick something knobbly on it and it's XC.

Did think about going for a whippet myself but every whippet i see on ebay as a broken front mech mount on it.
  • Ouija
    njee20 wrote:
    Really don't get why you'd not get a 29er as a hybrid.

If that was directed at me i'd never get a 29'er, either for off road or as a hybrid (hate them). Had a Dawes hybrid once, with 700c wheels. Just could not stand those wheels (i know they roll over everything easier and are faster but i just prefer the lower center of gravity and ease with which you can chuck them about). Also had a Giant Defy......... don't even remind me of how much i hated that (i had a lapse when i suddenly thought road bikes weren't as ridiculous as i'd always thought).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Centre of gravity difference on a 29er is minimal surely, after all most 29er frames (like for like) have the same BB height as 26ers.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    Agreed, and I must say that 'chuckability' isn't really a criteria I look for in a road bike/hybrid! YMMV.
  • Ouija
    njee20 wrote:
    Agreed, and I must say that 'chuckability' isn't really a criteria I look for in a road bike/hybrid! YMMV.

Lol. Because they don't stay on the road.....

In the summer months they end up going all over the moors, along the abandoned railway tracks from Whitby to Scarborough and through woodland and forests. A road bike would fall to pieces attempting that. That's why it's called a hybrid, it has to be a jack of all trades, master of none. If you don't go off the roads, get a road bike. If you don't go on them, get a mountain bike. If you tend to bounce back and forth between the two on a single ride, get a 26" hybrid. It's not that the the 700c/29" hybrids can't handle the job, but i've always found the combination of skinny tyres, large diameter wheels and fewer spokes tends to make handling off road a bit....... mmm... scary. That's why i ditched my more traditional 700c hybrid bike.