Sir Bradley Wiggins

RDW
RDW Posts: 1,900
edited March 2013 in Pro race
New Year Honours just announced.

Comments

• ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    I think that's awesome. Well deserved. Dave Brailsford too.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Froomey will no doubt have a little choke on his muesli when he reads that in the morning. Will the plaudits never cease!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    No upgrade for Thomas and Clancy which seems a little harsh on them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Oh dear, when will it end?
  • There you go, proof that giving the V's to cameramen don't do any harm. Now it would have been different if he'd slapped Kate Middleton's @rse at SPOTY .... Would have been costly but funny as fcuk!!!!!

Edit: swear filter doesn't like flciking but is happy to accept giving? WTF????
    When a true genius appears in this world, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. - Jonathan Swift
  • If honours are to exist then this is well deserved. Not only did he win the TdF and start the "gold rush" at this Olympics but he does have a great previous Olympic palmares as well.

The people have spoken...arise Sir Brad!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    If honours are to exist then this is well deserved. Not only did he win the TdF and start the "gold rush" at this Olympics but he does have a great previous Olympic palmares as well.

Sir Wiggo of Kilburn eh?

Honestly I'd set the bar a lot higher before I'd start giving sports people honours.....but there you go.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • If honours are to exist then this is well deserved. Not only did he win the TdF and start the "gold rush" at this Olympics but he does have a great previous Olympic palmares as well.

Sir Wiggo of Kilburn eh?

Honestly I'd set the bar a lot higher before I'd start giving sports people honours.....but there you go.

High jumpers only then eh?

I know what you mean and that is where the honours system falls down. People are considered on recommendation and so high profile people and entertainment luvvies prevail. As long as they don't get it into their heads that they think they got it because they work harder than the average Joe or contribute more to society than the rest of us then it's ok with me. I also hope that they don't expect me to genuflect to them or treat them with any more reverence than I would choose to give then everything will be fine and dandy.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    If honours are to exist then this is well deserved. Not only did he win the TdF and start the "gold rush" at this Olympics but he does have a great previous Olympic palmares as well.

Sir Wiggo of Kilburn eh?

High jumpers only then eh?

I know what you mean and that is where the honours system falls down. People are considered on recommendation and so high profile people and entertainment luvvies prevail. As long as they don't get it into their heads that they think they got it because they work harder than the average Joe or contribute more to society than the rest of us then it's ok with me. I also hope that they don't expect me to genuflect to them or treat them with any more reverence than I would choose to give then everything will be fine and dandy.

Fair enough - but lets be honest in agreeing that this guy put a smile on almost the whole nation during his time trial and prior to that, similar at the TDF. He has touched the masses, cheered us all up during what would otherwise be a shitty year. Displayed a very left field sense of humour and generally been a good egg.
  • Its all a bit stupid this knighthood thing. Should be reserved for contributing to the good of humanity or something, curing cancer etc, not riding a bike! OBE should be enough for any sportsperson ever. Complete and utter nonsense but well done sir bradley never the less!
  • RDW
    ad_snow wrote:

And Dame Sarah Storey.

CBE for Victoria Pendleton, OBEs for Jason Kenny and Laura Trott, MBEs for Steven Burke, Philip Hindes, Peter Kennaugh, Dani King, Joanna Rowsell, Mark Colbourne, Neil Fachie, and Craig MacLean.

Nice interview with Sir Brad: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20858353
  • tremayne
    Its all a bit stupid this knighthood thing. Should be reserved for contributing to the good of humanity or something, curing cancer etc, not riding a bike! OBE should be enough for any sportsperson ever. Complete and utter nonsense but well done sir bradley never the less!

If these 'hand in the till' , 'oops, hand in the till again, sorry about that'. Politicians are worthy of masses of honours, then I begrudge Sir Brad Wiggins nothing. More worthy than those scumbags.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    What will be the punishment for the African fellow if he should dare to attack a Knight of the Realm on some foreign hillside?

Sent to the tower?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Sir Bradley Wiggins! Love it.

Definitely debatable as to whether it's "deserved" or not. Whatever that means.

Makes me happy though. :)

What a difference a year makes!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    tremayne wrote:
    Its all a bit stupid this knighthood thing. Should be reserved for contributing to the good of humanity or something, curing cancer etc, not riding a bike! OBE should be enough for any sportsperson ever. Complete and utter nonsense but well done sir bradley never the less!

If these 'hand in the till' , 'oops, hand in the till again, sorry about that'. Politicians are worthy of masses of honours, then I begrudge Sir Brad Wiggins nothing. More worthy than those scumbags.

Yep, not to mention those senior civil servants. Honours just come in the cereal box for that lot.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I'm pleased for him, he deserves it, but I hope it doesn't mark the beginning of the backlash - comments online are quite mixed. It's as if once the establishment recognises you, the public and media will turn away.

I think it's brilliant, sound hilarious too.
  • I wish they would give me one so I can tell them to forget it. royalty (small R) are a blight on this country and an insult to any hard working person.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tremayne
    I wish they would give me one so I can tell them to forget it. royalty (small R) are a blight on this country and an insult to any hard working person.

Yes yes yes, we know what you did to yours. However, we are bit more civilised than that and happily enough, Queenie and co are much loved features of this country. It's all part of the deal.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I wish they would give me one so I can tell them to forget it. royalty (small R) are a blight on this country and an insult to any hard working person.

We may have given knighthoods to Robert Mugabe, Anthony Blunt, Jimmy Saville and a variety of bankers, but we draw the line at giving them to the French.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tremayne wrote:

Yes yes yes, we know what you did to yours. However, we are bit more civilised than that and happily enough, Queenie and co are much loved features of this country. It's all part of the deal.

In my experience I have yet to speak to an intelligent and hard working person who believes in the monarchy (small M). The reason for that is because these people typically believe in meritocracy which is the antithesis of what the royals (small R) are.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • In my experience I have yet to speak to an intelligent and hard working person who believes in the monarchy...

I can assure you they do exist. You do know the world isn't flat, right?
  • RDW
    The reason for that is because these people typically believe in meritocracy which is the antithesis of what the royals (small R) are.

Not according to the bloke who coined the word 'meritocracy' (satirically, as a warning). You might want to read this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2001/jun/29/comment
  • tremayne
    tremayne wrote:

In my experience I have yet to speak to an intelligent and hard working person who believes in the monarchy (small M). The reason for that is because these people typically believe in meritocracy which is the antithesis of what the royals (small R) are.

I'm sorry but thats a genuinely ill informed, misjudged and quite honestly ridiculous statement. Either you are being provocative, you don't get out to meet people much. I can't for one moment believe you are being genuine.

Setting aside the issues of 'why her' , it' is universally accepted that the Queen works hard, brings a lot of joy to the country and is an asset. Your country for one ( like most) is fascinated with them.
  • It's a good article and thanks for posting, however it is unrelated to what I said. You saw I used the word meritocracy and knew about the article so posted but it doesn't counter my point.

Put another way, people who have achieved what they have through their own hard work and sacrifice resent the idea that this royal (small R) family are so incredibly privileged simply because of their family. As people in their own rights they are below UK average in terms of ability to contribute to society.

If you step back and think for a minute the privileges that they have, not least as it is generously funded by you and I, and you will see that no one deserves that. No one. And not least in a time when people in our own country are dying of hunger and when people are surviving rather than living.

There is no rational or moral argument for the royals (small R) yet there are countless rational and moral reasons not to have them.

The only reason that is borderline possible is Tourism. Yet A. Tourism at the expense of morality is not justifiable and B. it is a fallacy - remove the monarchy and open up all the palaces etc and charge for entry. I can assure you people will still come and people and the entry fee revenue will significantly outweigh the current royal (small R) tourism revenue. You simply need to go to France and see how long the queues for those old palaces are and the price they charge to see this is realistic. Finally any cost analysis must also include the direct payment we would save from not having to subsidise them, plus the numerous indirect costs such as police protection, plus the sale of land (Enourmous revenue) that this extended family owns which they have no real right to.

Did you know that if someone dies in Cornwall without a Will all their possessions go directly to prince (small P) Charles. His personal account. This is because he is 'Duchy' of Cornwall.

I hold supporters of the monarchy (small M) in utter contempt.

Vive la Revolution.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • (Enourmous revenue)

Shouldn't that be a small e?
  • tremayne wrote:
    tremayne wrote:

I'm sorry but thats a genuinely ill informed, misjudged and quite honestly ridiculous statement. Either you are being provocative, you don't get out to meet people much. I can't for one moment believe you are being genuine.

Setting aside the issues of 'why her' , it' is universally accepted that the Queen works hard, brings a lot of joy to the country and is an asset. Your country for one ( like most) is fascinated with them.

1. Read my above post then try and debate with me.
    2. Don't judge me as you have know nothing about me.
    3. My Country is England. I have dual nationality.
    4. France makes a mockery of them. They have zero wish for a monarchy. In case your history escapes you - they forcibly got rid of theirs.
    5. 'She' works hard and contributes. Is this a joke? How easy do you think it is to do this when you have everything you want handed to you on a plate,l and have never had to worry about the things normal people do. So would anyone be able to do good.
    6. 'asset' - see my point in previous post.
    7. There are millions of people who work harder and contribute more than her and have had to get to where they have on merit.
    8. Unfortunately it isn't just 'her'. There are a large number of them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • But why announce it today and not Tuesday? Is somebody desperate for br(e)ad and circuses? Are we due for some depressing news next week, such as a AAA credit downgrade or something?
  • RDW wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:

And Dame Sarah Storey.

CBE for Victoria Pendleton, OBEs for Jason Kenny and Laura Trott, MBEs for Steven Burke, Philip Hindes, Peter Kennaugh, Dani King, Joanna Rowsell, Mark Colbourne, Neil Fachie, and Craig MacLean.

Nice interview with Sir Brad: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20858353
    Seems a bit harsh that 2nd at the Tour plus a bronze in the Olympic TT doesn't get Froome an MBE.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    edited December 2012
    tremayne wrote:

Man alive!

You, Sir/Madam, are the one who might need to get out (of the shires/Kensington/Harrogate, etc) more often. There are MILLIONS of disenfranchised folk (many from what is now often commonly known as the "underclass". From whatever political stance you come from, it seems that the greater the numbers of underclass is proportionate to your lack of success as a political force) who couldn't and don't give a toss about the monarchy and all of its constituents...

And then there are those of us who might like to think of ourselves as a smidgen more educated and happy to see the back of them as an outdated group of overly funded and excessively privileged in-breds who are managing to cling on because their PR positions them in the public psyche as an indispensable British Brand... Like British Leyland, Jaguar and ICI: all as "British" as it gets until someone says "d'you know what? Sod it!" and flogs it to the foreigner waving the wad of cash.

I'll give it 10 years before the British Monarchy is "sponsored" by News Corp or Coca-Cola, etc.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Have a poll on it lads.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}