Locks

Unclejonny
Unclejonny Posts: 75
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Any recommendations for a good lock? I'm looking to keep my pride and joy safe but don't really want to be carrying an addition 2 or 3 kgs on me back.

Cheers

Comments

• dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    The one that has bars that pivot, think it might be Abus
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, if they want it they'll have it. Buy a POS off Ebay instead.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Well where will you be locking it up? A D-lock and extender cable at the worst. Do you have the option of leaving a chain or beefier lock somewhere close?

When I'm living in uni I have a locked corrugated bike shed which very few people have access to, with my bike locked through the wheel and frame with a D-lock, followed by a motorbike chain (and padlock) I stole from my dad looped through the wheels. I'd never leave my bike anywhere except there or my room. I've no insurance so I can't afford to lose it!
  • When not riding it's in my locked garage, I need a lock for when I'm out on a ride and decide to stop off at say a shop for refreshments, the bike will only be out of sight for a few mins, which is enough time for a scumbag to make off with it, thus the need for a good lock, which isn't too heavy to take around for a 3 ot 4 hour ride

Cheers
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Unclejonny wrote:
    When not riding it's in my locked garage, I need a lock for when I'm out on a ride and decide to stop off at say a shop for refreshments, the bike will only be out of sight for a few mins, which is enough time for a scumbag to make off with it, thus the need for a good lock, which isn't too heavy to take around for a 3 ot 4 hour ride

Cheers

Take what you need with you on your ride it will probably wiegh less than a lock, and also don't leave your bike.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Yeah i'd just never leave the bike. If you's have to order inside, get someone to watch over all the bikes and order for them. Not worth carrying a lock on that long a cycle IMO.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Unclejonny wrote:
    When not riding it's in my locked garage, I need a lock for when I'm out on a ride and decide to stop off at say a shop for refreshments, the bike will only be out of sight for a few mins, which is enough time for a scumbag to make off with it, thus the need for a good lock, which isn't too heavy to take around for a 3 ot 4 hour ride

Cheers
    if your by yourself, make sure you can see it through the window when you lock it, and whats stopping you from popping the front wheel off and taking it in with you ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Thanks for the heads up guys. Just hope I don't have a long walk home with a wheel in me hand lol