2013 - Wiggins big choices

tremayne
tremayne Posts: 378
edited April 2013 in Pro race
Brailsford on SKY News just now, talking about Wiggins and the Giro. He talks about setting realistic goals, how suited the Giro is to Bradley. How he has done the 'first brit to win the tour' thing, which no one can ever repeat, equal or (hopefully) take away.

In short - I'm going to translate the whole article as - 'please Brad, go for the Giro and let poor Froomey have a crack at the Tour. You did promise him - and ever since you've been talking about the 2013 Tour, he's been a wreck. Plus he might again give you his 'death stare', last seen at SPOTY'....

A bit of me suspects that he has no genuine intention of having a full scale tilt at the tour and is just having a little bit of fun. If nothing else, I believe it will be motivating Chris to train like he's never trained before.

Comments

• deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    tremayne wrote:
    You did promise him - and ever since you've been talking about the 2013 Tour, he's been a wreck. Plus he might again give you his 'death stare', last seen at SPOTY'....

A bit of me suspects that he has no genuine intention of having a full scale tilt at the tour and is just having a little bit of fun. If nothing else, I believe it will be motivating Chris to train like he's never trained before.
    Sounds like Lemond v Hinault.
    So let the best man survive. (Note I didn't say win)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • tremayne
    Definitely does sound like LeMond vs Hinault. However, DaveB has read that book and appears to be doing his very utmost to avoid repeating those mistakes!

He literally has just gone on telly and said (I'm paraphrasing) 'please Brad - just stick to the plan'.
  • since Wiggo did his 'I fancy having a shot at the double' on the SPOTY night, a couple of days later he did an interview for Sky news and said he'd go with whatever the team decide re leader.

Like Tremayne I think Wiggo was just being mischievous. However I do think that he and Sutton are going to focus his training on him being top form for the Giro AND holding it for the Tour....cos you never know whats going to happen...Froome could perform like a dog in the races leading up to it OR he could get his bilharzia thing...

The media are going to make a meal of this for the next 6 months, mind you, just like the French media did with urging the Badger to go for a 6th win. Whatever happens Brailsford will not let it come down to a Badger v Lemond repeat on the actual road at the Tour - if for no other reason than Contador etc will exploit it.
  • tremayne
    RR - I think you are right, in as much as when the time comes - Brailsford would be crazy to alllow it to become a Badgerfest.

However, just think... If we thought 2012 was Badgertastic, and in reality, there was strict team orders and Froome pretty much stuck to the script - if Wiggo/Froome really did intend to seperately compete for yellow, it would be carnage! As you say - will never happen....

Wiggo has a sense of humour, we know that much. Perhaps this is payback time for;

1/. Chris dropping him on the climb
    2/. Chris leading him up another climb, while constantly making 'keep up, yer slow git' gestures

I don't put it past him. A bit of sport for a few months, then give Chris a pat on the back and say 'I'm behind you all the way, just keeping you on your toes'.
  • I'd bet he will let Froome ride the Tour as leader and either not ride or turn up to help and put in a few good performances and for Sky sponsor exposure.

I really want him to ride the Giro at his best so he can go toe-to-toe with Contador. Science Vs Passion . New school vs Old School. It will be fun to watch but we all know who will come out the victor with the fans and come away with the Maglia Rosa.

wiggins_calme_les_ardeurs_de_froome.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I find it interesting that people constantly criticise Sky for being boring but then beg them not to repeat the same ''Mistakes'' as the La Vie Claire team but then ''they'' say that that was ''the best tour ever''
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    ddraver wrote:
    I find it interesting that people constantly criticise Sky for being boring but then beg them not to repeat the same ''Mistakes'' as the La Vie Claire team but then ''they'' say that that was ''the best tour ever''

Does anyone think 86 was the best Tour ever? 89, yes, and 86 was good but I can think of better races

I find it hilarious that people keep wheeling out the 86 Tour as something that will happen again. We really like to live in the past.

Anyway, if Wiggins is there and committed to helping Froome, that's as good as it'll get. If Wiggins is not there, then I suspect Froome will struggle
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    I did nt say I agreed with them...just made the observation...
    - @ddraver
  • tremayne
    I think Mr Frenchie has touched on a v important aspect which I hadn't really mentioned and that's the paymaster, Sky. I guess much will also come down to them as a sponsor and I can't see them agreeing to bradders not being there. Now it's sir bradders, the sky exposure just gets better. Possibly why he's saying some funny stuff?

DB. We want you to go for the giro and Chris gets TDF
    SBW ok , good with that. Looks a bit hilly anyway. That's agreed then.
    DB. Oh, but you have to do the tour also. Sky want it. Just go round and help out.
    SBW. Rollocks to that. Im only going if it's for the win.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,194
    I really want him to ride the Giro at his best so he can go toe-to-toe with Contador. Science Vs Passion . New school vs Old School. It will be fun to watch but we all know who will come out the victor with the fans and come away with the Maglia Rosa.

Tedious cliche, and please don't presume to speak for "the fans", many of whom were distinctly unimpressed by your boy's Vuelta win, with all its "passion".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I really want him to ride the Giro at his best so he can go toe-to-toe with Contador. Science Vs Passion . New school vs Old School. It will be fun to watch but we all know who will come out the victor with the fans and come away with the Maglia Rosa.

Tedious cliche, and please don't presume to speak for "the fans", many of whom were distinctly unimpressed by your boy's Vuelta win, with all its "passion".
    he only says it to wind us up, and I'm getting closer to putting him on block - posts a lot of good stuff, but aqm getting more & more bored of the Contador illusion.
  • ddraver
    Nah, you have to do is look at the avatar first, if it's one you recognise as someone who you disagree with then don't read the post! You wouldn't want to challenge yourself or anything!

:P
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Nah, you have to do is look at the avatar first, if it's one you recognise as someone who you disagree with then don't read the post! You wouldn't want to challenge yourself or anything!

But Frenchfighter keeps changing his! :cry:
  • I really want him to ride the Giro at his best so he can go toe-to-toe with Contador. Science Vs Passion . New school vs Old School. It will be fun to watch but we all know who will come out the victor with the fans and come away with the Maglia Rosa.

he only says it to wind us up, and I'm getting closer to putting him on block - posts a lot of good stuff, but aqm getting more & more bored of the Contador illusion.

I'd take it as a complement if you put me on block.

I am mature enough not to try and goad people. What I write about Contador is my opinion; no more no less.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver wrote:

Still waiting for you to post something worth reading. You think you can achieve that before the year end?
    Contador is the Greatest

That 'many' is in the minority. Sorry to disappoint you. There are more cycling fans than those that exist on this forum and this forum is not an accurate reflection of the feeling towards Contador around the World.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    No Frenchie because you don't read it...

It's only your loss...
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,194

That 'many' is in the minority. Sorry to disappoint you. There are more cycling fans than those that exist on this forum and this forum is not an accurate reflection of the feeling towards Contador around the World.

You've become dennis. Congratulations.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Back to the topic of choices of Sky leaders for the GTs this year....

interesting interview in Bicilismo with David Lopez who's joined from Movistar. I've only used rubbish free interwebz translator but basically Wiggins has been beasting the training out in Mallorca, and Lopez's been surprised by Sky's approach to full on heaving training through Dec ..but the interesting bit re leadership is that he says that they want to contest the Vuelta with Henao...

I'd have thought they'll go in with a Henao/Uran combo, mind you, and it could be the real meaning's lost in (shoddy) translation...but interesting

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/no ... p?id=58168
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,215
    iainf72 wrote:

Anyway, if Wiggins is there and committed to helping Froome, that's as good as it'll get. If Wiggins is not there, then I suspect Froome will struggle

Now this is absolutely it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,215
    Back to the topic of choices of Sky leaders for the GTs this year....

interesting interview in Bicilismo with David Lopez who's joined from Movistar. I've only used rubbish free interwebz translator but basically Wiggins has been beasting the training out in Mallorca, and Lopez's been surprised by Sky's approach to full on heaving training through Dec ..but the interesting bit re leadership is that he says that they want to contest the Vuelta with Henao...

I'd have thought they'll go in with a Henao/Uran combo, mind you, and it could be the real meaning's lost in (shoddy) translation...but interesting

Has he lost some weight then? Or are the pictures of him in December just unflattering?
  • Back to the topic of choices of Sky leaders for the GTs this year....

Has he lost some weight then? Or are the pictures of him in December just unflattering?

The only pic I've seen which was unflattering i.e. he looked a bit heavy, was after he got knocked off the bike? Otherwise he still looks a skinny sod. But Shane Sutton and Brailsford have both been saying that he was smashing the training in Mallorca before Crimbo, and other riders are saying same thing.
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    I'd bet he will let Froome ride the Tour as leader and either not ride or turn up to help and put in a few good performances and for Sky sponsor exposure.

I LOL'ed at the 'old school v new school' bit, there's more than one interpretation of that: hard work v plasticisers...

On topic, it's an ongoing soap opera to keep us amused through the winter nights: Sky will have a differential plan & probably realise that this TdF is beyond them.
  • Richrd2205 wrote:
    I'd bet he will let Froome ride the Tour as leader and either not ride or turn up to help and put in a few good performances and for Sky sponsor exposure.

I LOL'ed at the 'old school v new school' bit, there's more than one interpretation of that: hard work v plasticisers...

On topic, it's an ongoing soap opera to keep us amused through the winter nights: Sky will have a differential plan & probably realise that this TdF is beyond them

That's not really the Sky/GB mindset though - go in thinking the win's beyond you and you're guaranteed not to get it. Besides, isnt that one of the great things about cycling? Anything, literally anything, could happen - whether Frenchie will admit it or not.

But I'm sure they'd very much like to get the Giro so they have one in the bag this year, whatever else happens.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Well, well, well... Sky contesting T-Adriatico with a big-wig(go): who now would like to denounce my suggestion that JTL is about the most obvious shoe-in for their squad there (After causing a bit of mayhem with Porte in Votla ao Algarve, maybe)...?

There are many intriguing questions about the Sky squad for 2013, but Kennaugh is a curious one. I've got faith that Geraint will step up to at least be an indispensable team player: I've got no indication where PK will fit in terms of type of race/squad...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    On topic, it's an ongoing soap opera to keep us amused through the winter nights: Sky will have a differential plan & probably realise that this TdF is beyond them.
    This is a team that said their aim was to win the Tour with a British rider within five years to the hilarity of everyone else - and we know how that ended. I don't think 'beyond them' really enters their heads.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    This is a team that said their aim was to win the Tour with a British rider within five years to the hilarity of everyone else - and we know how that ended. I don't think 'beyond them' really enters their heads.

Quite
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    Well, well, well... Sky contesting T-Adriatico with a big-wig(go): who now would like to denounce my suggestion that JTL is about the most obvious shoe-in for their squad there (After causing a bit of mayhem with Porte in Votla ao Algarve, maybe)...?

There are many intriguing questions about the Sky squad for 2013, but Kennaugh is a curious one. I've got faith that Geraint will step up to at least be an indispensable team player: I've got no indication where PK will fit in terms of type of race/squad...

A bit of Porte-JTL tag team carnage at the Algarve would be bloody good to see.

Little Pete. Hmm..I met Steve Joughlin in the summer at one of the TS races and he named PK as the rider for the future, tho perhaps a bit of Manx bias there. Good climber tho to date mainly tested on the lumpy stuff rather than mountains, I think? If future development is GC path, he'll need to up his TT game though - surely shouldnt be an issue with his track pedigree.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    "Science Vs. Passion" Where is the passion, Brad's always seemed efficient to me, I wouldn't use the term passion. I agree Bertie is all science, and old school science at that, but I didn't think you accepted that.
    Posts like this mean I'm never quite sure if Frenchie is for real.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    dougzz wrote:
    "Science Vs. Passion" Where is the passion, Brad's always seemed efficient to me, I wouldn't use the term passion. I agree Bertie is all science, and old school science at that, but I didn't think you accepted that.
    Posts like this mean I'm never quite sure if Frenchie is for real.

Nicely done.