2013 GC Contenders

JackTar
JackTar Posts: 77
edited January 2013 in Pro race
Who do you think will contend for the Grand Tours in 2013?
Can the Shelecks get back in form or Froome be able to follow Contador on Mount Ventoux?

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    A Schleck
    Contador (boooo!)
    Nibali (but he won't actually win anything)
    Evans (to have one more shot at something)
    Whichever Sky rider is best for the particular race in question...
    Rodriguez
    Valverde (but only in the Vuelta)

Other names are available but I would nt expect them to be major contendors, that said....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    JackTar wrote:
    Can the Shelecks get back in form or Froome be able to follow Contador on Mount Ventoux?

Everything about Wiggins '12 Vs Wiggins '09 suggested that his clinging on to rampant dopers on Ventoux in '09 (with the particularly steep/irregular bit being nearer the bottom) suggests that it's Bertie and the other "exciting" climbers who need to be worried about the "Geant de Provence" and the Sky machine come 2013.
    If Sky can quash the chancers in that first part of the climb, we'll see what all this "character" and "panache" counts for.
    Give me dependable, trustworthy "graft" that I can pin my hopes on, every time.

Except in music... and films... and literature: I'll happily listen/watch/listen to any amount of doped-up nonsense from undependable nob-ends then.
    In fact, ironically, it'll probably be my favourite stuff.
    Louis Armstrong: caked off his bonce.
    Jimi Hendrix: ditto.
    Stones: yep
    Beatles: yep
    Anything out of Manchester in the 80's: erm...
    Anything out of anywhere in Britain post '88: I'll say... (except pop music: shite. Why? LACK of decent drugs).
    All the good house/garage/D 'n B/ Dubstep... World leaders mate, innit... Y'get me?
    Etc.
    And the splendid thing about this stance is that there is not a jot of hypocrisy.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    And another thing: if it's true that Wiggins is to be knighted (Fenton for CBE?) can you imagine the commentators having to talk about "Contador attacking Sir Bradley"? Seems inappropriate, somehow...
  • ddraver
    'Dunno, has a Sir Francis Drake vs the Armada feel to it....
    - @ddraver
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    edited December 2012
    Contador for the tdf.
    Wiggins for the giro.
    Don't care for the vuelta, Rodriguez if his teams allowed in?
  • Am i mad in thinking Rodriguez has a great shot at the TDF ? , i say that because hes around 20/25-1 with the bookies.

I know theres trouble with his team and that he might go for the Giro etc...... but if he makes it onto the start line surely he has to have a great chance if he brings that Vuelta form.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    which big GC rider will set off the tripwire at biopass dept? tt like cance or Tony M
    and climb like Herrera.... J Rod is not going to win GT while the best tt riders are best climbers
  • ddraver
    Am i mad in thinking Rodriguez has a great shot at the TDF ? , i say that because hes around 20/25-1 with the bookies.

I know theres trouble with his team and that he might go for the Giro etc...... but if he makes it onto the start line surely he has to have a great chance if he brings that Vuelta form.

I think he can only win GTs with Time bonuses...
    - @ddraver
  • Hopefully Contador doesn't ride the Tour. Giro-Vuelta at full gas again will be good.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Hopefully Contador doesn't ride the Tour. Giro-Vuelta at full gas again will be good.

Saxo and Tinkoff don't put money into cycling so Bert can do the 2 smaller GT's.

He'll be at the Tour and there to win it.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Nobody think Hesjedal has a chance? Must just be me then.
  • ddraver
    I don't think Hesjedal will be "forgotten about" enough to pull off another win any time soon...
    - @ddraver
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I think Wiggins will have a pop at the Giro-Tour double.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ddraver wrote:
    I don't think Hesjedal will be "forgotten about" enough to pull off another win any time soon...

Maybe, but we are naming contenders. If I was to try and name who was going to win the GT next year, I wouldn't pick Hesjedal, but I still think he has a chance. A bit like you naming Nibali.
    ddraver wrote:
    Nibali (but he won't actually win anything)

Nope, not in the slightest, unfortunately.
  • philbar72 wrote:
    Contador for the tdf.
    Wiggins for the giro.
    Don't care for the vuelta, Rodriguez if his teams allowed in?

Giro - Nibali
    Tour - Contador
    Vuelta -Valverde
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    de gendt for giro or vuelta
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Nobody think Hesjedal has a chance? Must just be me then.

Nah.

Garmin riders never repeat untill they leave....
  • rick_chasey
    de gendt for giro or vuelta

He'll be riding the tour so unlikely.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    JVDB for a tour podium next year?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Would love to see JTL do well in a 1 weeker...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach

Nah.

Garmin riders never repeat untill they leave....

What like Wiggins? Hasn't Hesjedal done with his 6th at the Tour in 2010 and then his Giro win last year.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm just teasing.

Contador will obviously win the Tour, save for misfortune. Andy's a bit of a question mark given this year but he's still probably likeliest to run Contador close.

Not sure who's riding the other GTs so hard to say. It's all relative after all...
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    Another few guys to add into contention,
    Hopefully Sammy Sanchez will return after his bad luck this year.
    Lieuwe Westra might pull something out the bag similar to De Gendt in this year's Giro.
    Uran or Henao to podium in either Giro or Vuelta?

Plus worth looking out for Joe Dombrowski for Sky, possibly Tour of California/US Pro Challenge and hopefully Kennaugh will be able to do something GC on the road post Olympics.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I know that SKY are not really in fashion round here, but surely they've got to be favorites for at least two of the GTs, Contador or not. Most people seem to think they'll have a worse year than last, I don't.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    Get real folks - there is no way a Schleck will win a GC this year (doped up or not) unless it's the Wiggle Sportive series :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    On_What wrote:
    Get real folks - there is no way a Schleck will win a GC this year (doped up or not) unless it's the Wiggle Sportive series :lol:
    If you want to discount a rider who has only once finished a Grand Tour outside the top two, then go ahead. But don't expect others to be so foolish.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RichN95 wrote:
    On_What wrote:
    If you want to discount a rider who has only once finished a Grand Tour outside the top two, then go ahead. But don't expect others to be so foolish.

I don't like Andy Schleck, however I do agree with Rich.
  • So Samu's riding the Giro...chance of podium? No, think not. Always good to see him race though
  • So Samu's riding the Giro...chance of podium? No, think not. Always good to see him race though

Stage win maybe?