Truvanti ISOflow repair or upgrade

markis
markis Posts: 43
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Advice needed, I have a Giant XTC 4.5 MTB and recently changed pedals, what had happened was the the thread on on the chainside was stuck solid. Took it along to a community bike hub and after some trouble eventually we got it off. Put new pedals on, greased, etc, and on my second ride out, the pedal came loose. Have checked and the threads on the crankshaft arm are just all worn, I'm assuming this occurred when we were loosening it. The Bike is about 4 yrs old and in very good condition, now should I just replace the damaged part, well I think it will be the whole crank and chainset with a same original or should I upgrade to something new, if upgrading what recommendations should I look at ? Oh the bike has 27 gears if that is helpful. TIA>

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How much do you want to spend?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • markis
    Depends , if i can get something off ebay or new. Lets narrow things down then, say £100 because once you start going above that, well I may as well buy a new MTB or second-hand.
  • cooldad
    Deore HT11, comes with an external BB, about £55 if you shop around. Plus about a tenner to have the BB shell faced.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • markis
    I'm not over familiar with terminology, I take it BB is 'bottom bracket', what is getting the BB shell faced ? Are brackets square and round, how do I know what one will suffice for my Giant ? Will google Deore HT11.
  • cooldad
    One of these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40496

They will fit, you most likely have 22/32/44 chainrings and 175mm cranks. They fit any 68mm or 73mm bottom bracket using spacers - all in the instructions, but you'll need the shell faced - just means grinding the sides nice and 'square' (to each other), the BB shell is round. So might as well get your bike shop to fit it at the same time - only takes a few minutes.
    The shell needs facing as the bearings are outboard, (not a unit like a cartidge BB) and if they're skew they'll wear quickly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You will need a new chain too.
  • markis
    Had a look at the specs on my MTB the Crank is Truvativ ISO Flow 44/32/22 and the chain Shimano HG73. If I go for the recommended Shimano Deore M590 Triple Chainset any recommendations on a Shimano chain ? I note that the Shimano Deore M590 comes in 170mm and 175mm versions how do I figure out which one is suitable for my Giant XTC 4.5 ?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Any 9 or 10 speed chain will be fine.

Same for the crank lengths, 99.9% of people can't tell the difference.
  • cooldad
    I would get a KMC chain, better than Shimano and come with a missing link. Best price I can find.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290829575570? ... 1438.l2649

The 175/170 is the crank length. Yours will have it stamped on somewhere, but either will fit. Most common is 175. You probably wouldn't notice any difference anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • markis
    Thanks for all the advice , been a big help. Will be ordering a Shimano Deore M590 triple chainset and new chain for it.