Best thing I've watched in ages - Life Cycles

JMcP92
JMcP92 Posts: 339
edited December 2012 in MTB general
Dunno if this is old or new, just popped up on YouTube as a recommendation, 45 minutes well spent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evJclGGjXlo

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So so old.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Pretty old now. and I didn't think it was that good tbh. Lots of fancy camera work, but nothing the the way of a plot. Just a collection of youtube clips.

I got 3 minute gaps for Christmas and found that to be excellent as it actually has a point to it. It follows some of the top riders through the 2010 DH WC series, loads of great riding, but interviews and stuff too to break it all up a bit.

And of course, Seasons for a proper classic.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Pretty old now. and I didn't think it was that good tbh. Lots of fancy camera work, but nothing the the way of a plot. Just a collection of youtube clips.
    Exactly what i though. The hippie narrative was strenuous too.
  • querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    Over the last few years there have been several attempts to tackle riding vids from a different perspective and they have all failed in my opinion. Life Cycles was an ok idea for a college project, but it had no business passing itself off as a proper riding movie. I know we invest a lot of ourselves in our machines and they are important to us in ways that non riders won't understand, but the whole 'bike has a soul' angle was nauseating.

Follow Me is about the best Ive seen and stands a head and shoulders above the HUGELY overrated* Where The Trail Ends, which was just another film about a bunch of mainly rich white dudes going big in different places. Utter garbage. Theres been a couple of women made and specific videos that I enjoyed, Women of Dirt and If she can do it. None of them have Brad Majorson high fiving his bro's and going 'Woah dude, that was super gnarly!' in a helicopter.

So yeah, Follow Me and anything where Clay isnt mooning over Sam is worth watching. the rest are mainly vanity projects.

*yes, I know ratings are subjective and for something to be overrated there must be a single definitive score, but its is the most hyped and heralded film for about 5 years and it offers absolutely nothing new.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    So it was a cycling video then? Got about 40 seconds into it before my boredom threshold was reached and stopped watching it (the throaty pseudo hippy voice-over was annoying).
  • awesome watch that with some nice video work cheers for the share dude first time ive seen it :)
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    The only way to keep mountain biking fresh on the screen for 45mins is to give it a story anyone can buy into - give it risk, give it jeopardy and that will creat drama and interest. Leave the cod-philosophy for hipster fixie riders. Go to Redbull TV and watch a round of Downhill or Rampage.

'Life Cycles' had nothing to say, and still took 45 minutes to say it.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • I loved life cycles. Watch it regularly on DVD.
  • querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    Hippy
  • querhoch wrote:
    Hippy

Happily so
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    I quite enjoyed this although it would've been better with no pointless story and gay voice over. Would've been better just the clips edited together.
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    I watched Follow Me last night, was quite good but really not much different from Life Cycles, some were criticising it for it's hippy-esk voice over and just shots of riding etc.
    Follow me was little different, a lot of riding but not as astonishing camera work. Didn't have the hippy voice over but didn't follow a story at all. I enjoyed it, but I'm not gonna say it's so much better than Life Cycles, was just the same but didn't have as strong camera work
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Dull art project bollocks. If I wanted to watch a bike film i would want something with more riding and less bullshit.
    I believe Barry Norman reviewed it as a pile of toss.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    As a filming exercise is ridiculously we shot, unbelievably so, but it falls short on content, tbh the only section I really like is the section with Kelly McGarry and Doerfling, in the woods, loam by the skip load and some awesome trails, fooking awesome!