Stem: Standard Bontrager
Headset: Cane Creek
Grips: ODI Ruffian Lock Ons
Brakes: Avid Juicy 3
Transmission - mix of Shimano Deore and Alivio, as it came
Pedals: Superstar Nanos
Seat: Charge Spoon (new today)
Seat Post: Standard Bontrager
Seat Post Clamp: God knows, but soon to be a pink superstar ones.

Wheels: Standard Bontrager on M475 QR Hubs
Weight: Never weighed, but too much.

Other info:
I bought this bike from my LBS after around 15 years plus of not riding. I still own an Orange Clockwork from then but my mate I let borrow it can't find it! He is still looking for it.

I didn't know what I was looking for when I bought this in mid-2009 but I wanted something to lose weight (I was 23 stone 12 pounds when I bought this) and that would take my weight. At my heaviest the seat post wouldn't stay up on long climbs (it only dropped a couple of inches) unless I tightened it with a hex key rather than the quick release, but otherwise it has hardly skipped a beat.

I bought this with V brakes and they were the first thing I changed, for Avid Juicy 3s. If I wasn't saving up for a new bike these would be replaced. I've been replacing things as I get round to them, so today got a Charge Spoon saddle in Wiggle's sale (a bit like DFS's sale) and am just playing round to get that in the right place. Superstar pedals with Teva Links shoes are a revelation and they've only been on a few weeks.

I also really want a new fork as the Dart 3 is awful; I didn't realise how bad until trying a guy's bike I was chatting to at Lee Quarry with a Reba on who let me have a spin around on it. I get round local trails in Oldham most weeks, and Lee Quarry (20 minutes away from home), Llandegla and Whinlatter when I get chance.

7258223222_73025ce6e3_z.jpg

This is my new bike fund, I really fancy a Trek Remedy 7 but at the moment it is only really the deposit on that. I'm trying to save rather than use 0% finance but it keeps getting more tempting. I'm at 18 stone 3 now, I'm going to treat myself when I get to 15 stone, no matter how much I've saved up.

7258223062_a70464d638_z.jpg

I realise it is a million miles from the blingiest bike on here, but even with it's faults I love getting out on it and it has served me really well. I'll keep it for knocking about on when the new bike finally arrives.

Comments

• mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    Cool bike and fair play :D Keep getting the miles in and when the pile of nuggets gets big enough you will love the upgrade.

What Is the riding like near you? Not been over that way yet and running out of stiff to explore around here.

And whats under the tarp :D
    Papa? Nicole
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    There is decent riding all around, not a great deal in the way of singletrack but some nice loops I can put together of bridleways and country parks and the like. I've just been told I'm getting a bonus from work, so hopefully that'll make a dent in the fund.

This is under the tarp. Deceptively quick engine hidden under there.... :wink:

4707199738_40cf4104f3.jpg
  • Matt-r8
    Matt-r8 Posts: 298
    I used to ride a 4500, you'll notice the difference when you get your Remedy. Good luck with your weight loss, having a reason to train always makes it easier :)
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    mcnultycop wrote:
    This is under the tarp. Deceptively quick engine hidden under there.... :wink:

Those wheels make me think cosworth...
    Papa? Nicole
  • mcnultycop
    Nothing that dramatic, the wheels are Compomotive CXs, so they just look like lots of BBS type wheels. The engine is a Type 1, but 1915, Twin 44 carbs, and everything upgraded, with a stealthy exhaust that retains the cut outs at the back.
  • mcnultycop
    So I didn't get the Remedy, I ended up with getting a Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 instead. However, I picked up some Reba RL Dual Airs off Swelsbyuk on here that he bought and didn't need. They have absolutely transformed the ride, they feel great and are so much lighter than the Dart 2 forks that were on there.

7741889768_a957bd1e47_z.jpg

I took the opportunity of swapping stem and bars whilst the new forks were going on, so I raided Exotic. The new forks, bar and stem feel great together.

7741888180_2b9fe6f263_z.jpg

I've been using the bike just on the local bridleways and the less harsh stuff since getting the Nerve, but did 7 miles tonight with my daughter. She didn't moan too much bearing in mind she is on a crappy single-speed, but she did look like this once we'd got home. I do like the bash-guard on her bike though!

7741891812_345199bf09_z.jpg

I need to get her a better bike soon, but I do fancy some new wheels for the Trek at some point.
  • LMAO! looks like you killed the nipper :lol: Nice to see really as most kids today spend far to much time in front of TV's and games consoles. There are some good bikes out there for young'uns just don't be swayed by day glow full suspension bikes from Argos :lol:. Got this for our girl:

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B2780.html

Discontinued now unfortunately :roll:. Ours came with an RST fork instead and is actually quite good for the money. Nice Trek how are you finding the AVID's? i'm a bit of an old stick in the mud (cable BB5 discs) however when they do croak i will look into some Hydro discs maybe.

Thanks.
  • mcnultycop
    The Juicy 3's are good for stopping, but they are seemingly impossible to set up so there isn't some slight rubbing. The Magura Mt2/4 combination (I think) on my Canyon feel much better and just seem to work properly, but then I have only done about 150km on them so far, so they may suffer in the future.

I'm going to get her something better, but I may go second hand as at the speed she is growing a new bike will only last her a year or so.
  • Great thread mate. Where are the pictures of the Canyon?
  • mcnultycop
    Great thread mate. Where are the pictures of the Canyon?

Linked to them about 4 posts up.

I commuted to work on the Trek this morning, 25.3 miles on knobbly tyres, all on road. Not looking forward to the ride home.
  • mcnultycop
    Loving the Canyon but still playing out on the Trek, mainly just rides with my daughter locally.

Had a Geax Loco Lobo knocking around which I bought as a spare to stick in the car if I ever had a disaster. I've put it on the front and it feels really good. The compound seems really soft and sticky. I'm going to get another new tyre for the back; not decided what yet - something cheap.

7983466202_7af99aa63f.jpg

Never got on with the Juicy 3s, so replaced them with some Deores from Merlin. Not got the levers set up properly and still got to clip the rear hose, but they fitted really easily.

7983473110_b9db55fbcb_m.jpg
    7983467429_b23549a48e_m.jpg
    7983465579_9460f7d10b_m.jpg
    7983464039_526191d511_m.jpg
  • mcnultycop
    Shorter brake hoses. New Superstar Stans Flow on Red Switch Hubs. New front tyre. New cassette.

8105982307_1f97e0275a.jpg

The Superstar rim tape is terrible and is actually stopping the tyre sitting true on the front wheel, I'll get some more in the week and refit it.

8105981241_b4dd987663.jpg

Shiny new cassette (not fitted the new chain yet, it got too dark too quickly and I didn't want to do fiddly stuff in the dark).

8105993818_b520d58527.jpg

I've put the Geax Loco Lobo I previously had on the front on the new back wheel. I may change it in time, but it'll do for now.

I now have a lot of nice stuff on an OK frame with the OK low range Shimano groupset. I feel a new frame coming on.
  • mcnultycop
    Couldn't ride today, so finished what I started yesterday (in daylight hours):

New chain fitted, first time I've done anything that involved breaking and shortening a chain ever. I swore a lot, but I'm glad I've learned how to do this in the garden whilst at the trail-side. Mysteriously when I was testing (OK, really putting the hammer down as a kid on the street challenged me to a race) the gearing the upper jockey wheel flew off. I put it all back together and it seems OK, but they are about 4 years old so I reckon I'll change then anyway.

8108915174_2d3976a8b9.jpg

I then replaced the Superstar rim tape with red (had to be red) electrical tape, thanks to The Beginner for that tip. I did scrape some of my shiny new decals with the tyre levers, but after a bit of 60psi, let them down, 60psi, let them down, shake them about, 60psi, etc, they Fat Albert now sits properly. It is still tight around the valve area, and I'm praying I don't get a puncture as fixing it trailside would be a nightmare, that thing is tight. This may make me go tubeless!

I also stuck some red grips I got from On-One, to make an order up for free postage and not in anyway because I wanted red ones to go with my new hubs.

8108917528_72ab3fbd3d.jpg

Job done, for the time being (pink pedals look odd now, though, don't they?)
  • mcnultycop
    edited December 2012
    FROO26SCVD-RAW_P1.jpg

This thread is going to die soon, as I'll be transferring everything (that fits) over to the Scandal 26er frame I've just ordered.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    mcnultycop wrote:
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/imgs/products/130x130_constWH/FROO26SCVD-RAW_P1.jpg

This thread is going to die soon, as I'll be transferring everything (that fits) over to the Scandal 26er frame I've just ordered.
    why kill it?, just rename it to something like Trek 4500 evolves/transforms into scandal or something along those lines
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Yeah don't kill it you have a decent evolution going on here.
  • Keep this thread going with the title changed!!! great to see bikes evolve as the rider gets the main bug!!!
    dd you take advantage of the 50% off certain frames at on one then???

your daughters bike, same as mne by the looks, just differnt colour, for just over £25 you can cange it over to a 7speed set up, just need a screw on cassette, mech with claw (hanger attatche to it), chain, shifter and cable, did my girls in the summer as she was spinning out ont he run to school but strugling with some of the hills when out for a nip aroundthe woods,
    ifairness, she likes to rie in 1st or 7th at the mo, hahah! (she's 6)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • mcnultycop
    dd you take advantage of the 50% off certain frames at on one then???

Yes, but it was up to 50% off, so £50 off. £125 which I thought was OK. I've never built a bike before, so I'm looking forward to it. LBS for headset and BB, then I'll do everything else. Going to go 1x10 on it, I think.
    your daughters bike, same as mne by the looks, just differnt colour, for just over £25 you can cange it over to a 7speed set up, just need a screw on cassette, mech with claw (hanger attatche to it), chain, shifter and cable, did my girls in the summer as she was spinning out ont he run to school but strugling with some of the hills when out for a nip aroundthe woods,
    ifairness, she likes to rie in 1st or 7th at the mo, hahah! (she's 6)

That has gone now, I've got her a Junior Rockrider from Decathlon: 3x6 gears and red jockey wheels!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    mcnultycop wrote:
    That has gone now, I've got her a Junior Rockrider from Decathlon: 3x6 gears and red jockey wheels!
        she'll be a lot faster now :lol:
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • mcnultycop
      chez_m356 wrote:
      mcnultycop wrote:
          she'll be a lot faster now :lol:
        I've explained red = faster to her. She looked bemused for a while but now she gets it.
      • mcnultycop
        As suggested, I should keep this thread going, so here is the new frame:

8330971982_8335f3bd8e_z.jpg

It looks great and it feels incredibly light. I'm going to get the LBS to do the headset and probably BB, just as I don't have the tools, but plan to do (or at least try to do) everything else myself.

Things that will be transferring straight over:

Wheels
        Forks
        Brakes
        Stem
        Bars
        Saddle

Things I'll be getting rid of (incoming for sale thread...):

Deore shifters
        Deore rear mech
        Alivio front mech
        9 speed cassette and chain (done about 5 miles on them, so almost brand new)
        Seat post
        Seat post clamp

Things I've got already knocking about that'll be going on:

Race face bash
        SLX M660 rear shifter (going 1x10)

Things I've not decided whether to replace or not:
        Cranks - something Shimano, Alivio I think. I'm going to go single ring on the front, so may just keep these for the time being and see how I get on with just a 32t

New things I need (want):
        10 speed Shadow+ rear mech, probably SLX but I'll see what deal I can get and maybe go XT.
        Chain device (Superstar Plasma?)
        Seat post (Exotic?)
        Seat post clamp, not decided on what yet.
        Pedals (gone off the pink ones, and they pink grips they used to match have gone), so probably Exotic again as I have these on my Canyon.
      • mcnultycop
        Started the build.

Whipped the chainrings off a Deore Crankset and put on my E13 Guidering (red for speed). My old Raceface bash went on but the Raidium inner chainguide fouls the frame, so a change of plan is needed there.

8373657724_7bea3d3702_z.jpg

When I say whipped off the chainrings, on the first bolt I did this:

8372587285_ba615e169b_z.jpg

Cassette on and brakes fitted, along with Exotic seatpost and clamp.

8373659802_1c1116b3c0_z.jpg

I don't have enough spacers to even temporarily mount the fork, it's going to lose quite a bit of steerer tube though, but I'm going to test it before I get the hacksaw out.

8373658418_d0e71c87ec_z.jpg
      • mcnultycop
        I've not had any spare time recently, and what I have been able to find has been spent riding or in the gym, so this has been on the back burner.

8562959962_fb2be2edab_z.jpg

8561853463_8987355acf_z.jpg

8562961932_ccd7a7f558_z.jpg

8562963060_f6ef5c2534_z.jpg

8562964160_48ed7878f7_z.jpg

I got a bit more done today - I just really needed to make a list of what is left to do.

Removed the Raidium.
        Installed the cranks properly.
        Got the stem at the right height (that head tube is short, there is a skyscaper of spacers on top of the stem!)
        Fitted the saddle.
        Fitted the pedals.
        Mounted the shifter.
        Swapped the QRs.

I need to fit the correct crown race, cut the steerer and get the star nut installed. I'm a bit scared of this - might be one for the LBS.
        I now need to learn how to install full length cable outers and get the rear mech set up, so I'm going to have a look on parktools, etc, this evening and hopefully have a crack at it next week.
        Fit chain

Spec as it stands is:

Frame: On One Scandal 26er
        Forks: Rockshox Reba RL Dual Air
        Bars: Exotic Scandium
        Stem: Exotic Alloy
        Headset: Crank Bros (Can't remember the model)
        Grips: Superstar Lock Ons
        Brakes: Deore M596 - 203mm rotors at both ends (as I had these in, but 203 is too big for the back)
        Shifter: SLX M675
        Cables: SP41
        Front Mech: None
        Rear Mech: Zee 10 Speed
        Chain Device: None as yet, but I have a seatpost mounted Superstar one if I need it
        Seat: Charge Spoon
        Seat Post: Exotic
        Seat Post Clamp: Exotic
        Cranks: Deore M590
        Chainring(s): 32t E-Thirteen G Ring
        Chain: KMC 10 speed
        Cassette: HG61 10 Speed
        Pedals: Exotic
        Bottom Bracket: Deore
        Wheels: Stans Flow on Superstar Switch (QR)
        Tyres: Fat Albert (F) Geax Loco Lobo (R) will change this for something a bit smoother rolling in summer.

I'm looking forward to getting some serious cross country kilometers in on this in summer, keeping the Canyon for the harder stuff. It feels a good weight, bearing in mind I have been getting just decent priced mid-range stuff and have gone for Flow rims as I am pretty chunky, weight-wise.
      • bushu
        bushu Posts: 711
        Will post up your Trek 4500 now I'm getting round to the build,
        its last evolution before donating to my sister for family duties

Wasn't large enough for me and matt white really grated with dirts ongoing attraction to me

Scandal looking very niiiice though sir 8)
      • mcnultycop
        bushu wrote:

Please do it. I had a lot of great times on that bike, it was quite sad when I stripped it down and sold all the bits.
      • swod1
        swod1 Posts: 1,639
        bushu wrote:

Wasn't large enough for me and matt white really grated with dirts ongoing attraction to me

I will be interested to see what you do with the 4500, i have a 2012 4500 in black that i will change bits on soon enough.

At some point I'm going to weigh the frame to see how heavy mine is.
      • Plyphon
        Plyphon Posts: 433
        Patio is a bit uneven and a bit mossy in places.

;)

Looking sick tho, will be a fantastic ride.
      • bushu
        bushu Posts: 711
        I'm afraid it won't be getting 5* treatment, mostly transplanting my old dj mongoose.
        She needs a low maintenance mtb for riding with her kids, an I had some parts :D
        Low maintenance because she has kids, not because she doesnt know what to do.

So it'll be rock shox tora's with sram sx5 and old alexrim wheelset, may keep the old crankset as the 'goose had a silly megaexo chainline(something i'm yet to figure out) & fsa pig dh pro headset.
      • mcnultycop
        Plyphon wrote:
        Patio is a bit uneven and a bit mossy in places.

I should probably do something about that. It is just my bike washing area though as I have to get all the mud off as they live indoors. It isn't used for anything else.