weller and the band.. + Wiggo

mpd62
mpd62 Posts: 71
edited January 2013 in Pro race

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Hah! Like him or loathe him, you have to admit he's epically cool!!!

It's better that he doesnt shout about it, just rocks up on the quiet...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Shouldn't he be training or something? :wink:
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Got to say that in 2012, he has genuinely defined cool. And that is a fact.

Like all genuine 'personalities', they split opionion. I know where I stand.

Very interested to see how his post race interviews shape up next year - esp the ones conducted in french.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Ah, so now its panache playing a few chords that anyone could learn within a few months of picking a guitar up.... I wonder if Wiggo can actually play the guitar properly?

(it is a bit like seeing Eric Clapton pedalling a bike for 100yards down a path and thinking its cool he can ride a bike)
  • mfin wrote:
    Ah, so now its panache playing a few chords that anyone could learn within a few months of picking a guitar up.... I wonder if Wiggo can actually play the guitar properly?

I dont know but as apparently he has a collection of over 40 guitars and he's been taking a guitar with him to relax after races for years, I suspect its a little more than picking up a John Williams 'learn the guitar in 5 easy lessons' method.

Can you play?
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    mfin wrote:
    Oh dear, the distinctive flavour of sour grapes.

The extent of Brad's ability on the guitar is not known (and irrelevant) but I'm sure he adores playing and is fortunate enough to play and hang with his musical idol. Can't you just contain your jealousy and let the guy enjoy his music?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Tragic
  • mfin
    mfin wrote:

I dont know but as apparently he has a collection of over 40 guitars and he's been taking a guitar with him to relax after races for years, I suspect its a little more than picking up a John Williams 'learn the guitar in 5 easy lessons' method.

Can you play?

Yep, been playing over 20 years.

All Im saying is playing G Em, Am F isn't rocket surgery thats all. I didn't say he couldn't play, I was wondering if he could play well. Remember seeing Tony Blair playing on TV once doing about the same level of stuff and he was sh1te (at guitar, as well as everything else) :)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    mfin wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Can you play?

All Im saying is playing G Em, Am F isn't rocket surgery thats all. I didn't say he couldn't play, I was wondering if he could play well. Remember seeing Tony Blair playing on TV once doing about the same level of stuff and he was sh1te (at guitar, as well as everything else) :)

The difference being that Tony Blair wasn't cool. Wiggins definitely is.

Besides, the history of rock n roll is littered with highly successful bands who were lacking genuine skills on their instruments. Three chords and the ability to strike a pose is all it ever took.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mfin
    mfin wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Can you play?

The difference being that Tony Blair wasn't cool. Wiggins definitely is.

Besides, the history of rock n roll is littered with highly successful bands who were lacking genuine skills on their instruments. Three chords and the ability to strike a pose is all it ever took.

Yeah, but a bit of competence at least and the ability to knock up a good tune along with it. That's different to strumming along barely heard whilst constantly staring at your left hand all the time while playing 3 or 4 chords... I wasn't knocking Wiggo, for all I know he could actually sort of play.

All sorts of celebs play stuff though dont they, Johnny Depp, Steven Seagal, and that Astronomer Brian May, he was pretty good actually.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    I'm with mfin and steerpike here.

I like Wiggo but the whole Weller idol/copycat thing is seriously tragic.

Not cool.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    mfin... are you any good!?
  • mfin
    Not amazing, but I can play most things I want to y'know, music's so vast isn't it, I can play a lot more than just strumming along to a few chords if that's what you mean.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    There are 2 stand out reasons why Wiggins wouldn't have stepped on stage if he wasn't up to the task:
    1) He didn't think he was good enough
    2) Weller didn't think he was good enough.

I suspect that both of them are pretty good at spotting bullsh!tters. Weller's lyrics suggest as much: Wiggins's whole demeanour suggests as much.
    It was a charity gig where he popped up for a moment then naffed off. It's not like he's said he's Sir Golden Strumming Boll•cks, or anything...
    Seeking to diminish a TDF winning cyclist because he's not Bert Jansch is utter pony.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Seeking to diminish a TDF winning cyclist because he's not Bert Jansch is utter pony.

You ever see Jansch in the Team Pursuit? Terrible. He couldn't hold Hendrix's wheel for more than a couple of laps. Jimmy Page flat out refused to ride Madisons with him. Mind you those two were rumoured to be on drugs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

You ever see Jansch in the Team Pursuit? Terrible. He couldn't hold Hendrix's wheel for more than a couple of laps. Jimmy Page flat out refused to ride Madisons with him. Mind you those two were rumoured to be on drugs.

Meh. Peter Green tore their legs off whenever there was any climb bigger than a speed bump. Everyone goes on about Page, but his solo attacks were from way too far out to be effective. He was an earlier incarnation of Tommy Voeckler, complete with gurning. And don't get me started on Hendrix, what other rider would go on about "tyre tracks all across your back, that's the way I ride"? He was a bloody liability in a sprint.
  • mfin
    :) I wasn't looking to knock him down, I was wondering if he could actually play guitar to any decent standard, that's all, I actually like the bloke. Looking to 'big him up' for playing 4 chords is odd though, as so so so many people can play a few chords, its nothing someone who's never picked one up couldn't do in a few weeks mucking about, its not rocket surgery.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    It's a charity gig for Crisis not Weller's latest world tour, if by Wiggo being their it gets more publicity surely that's a good thing.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    mfin wrote:
    :) I wasn't looking to knock him down, I was wondering if he could actually play guitar to any decent standard, that's all, I actually like the bloke. Looking to 'big him up' for playing 4 chords is odd though, as so so so many people can play a few chords, its nothing someone who's never picked one up couldn't do in a few weeks mucking about, its not rocket surgery.

Rock 'n' roll isn't generally rocket surgery.

This might be though (I was there)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOfWFkXU0Gs

Bradley's got some work to do...
  • mfin
    mfin wrote:

Naaa, that's all easy ;) ...I love watching the odd bit of playing that makes you think its on another level, inc Jazz.
    (still, shove on a great song instead anyday)
    (as long as its not the Jam, ....well it wouldn't be, cos they dont have any ;) )
    (only (half)joking )
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224

Wasn't that the gig that Peter Sagan guested on drums?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Wasn't that the gig that Peter Sagan guested on drums?

No, he was meant to, but was double booked for a Slade gig at Southampton University that evening. Trilok Gurtu had to step in, which was pretty impressive after breaking his collarbone in the WC at Chambery.
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Wiggo to release a single with Weller and Foxton (of The Jam). All his dreams are coming true!
  • You couldnt make this stuff up, could you :)
  • ddraver
    Yes, yes you could

(not true, Twitter Taliban getting over excited again...)
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Yes, yes you could

(not true, Twitter Taliban getting over excited again...)

Tee hee! What, that there is a history of drugs in music ergo...

(tho suspect that on the very long list of things that Keith Richard has done, EPO, AICAR and blood doping for exmple, dont feature prominently)
  • ah, Paul Weller's people say there's no truth any such recording plans.

I'm sure the Taliban will be quick to apologise for their hasty sneering at Wiggins. Oh wait...
  • ddraver
    that's what I as aiming at....
    - @ddraver