Breakages ?

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited December 2012 in MTB general
OK folks, next year I'm looking at going on a three day adventure, alone, unsupported. So I will need spares, but what I ask myself ?

Certain things like consumables are obvious but what aren't the obvious things that can break that carrying a spare of would not halt my trip ??

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What bike will you be using, with what parts?
  • RandG
    Boardman fs team. sram x7 shifters and rear mech, exiler 3 brakes.
  • querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    the only spare you really need to keep the bike going is a tube. you can ghetto rig pretty much anything else, but a spare rear mech and cable is a good idea too. theres nothing worse then having to go SS miles from anywhere.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Where is this? Is it 100% beyond the realms of possibility that you could get to a bike shop?

If it were me I'd be asking what am I likely to need, and carry that, but not carry everything that I could possibly break. I'd do tubes, patches, a hanger, possibly a mech if you have one, chain link, brake pads, cable. Where do you stop otherwise? Tyres? Saddle? Frame?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    njee20 wrote:
    I'd do tubes, patches, a hanger, possibly a mech if you have one, chain link, brake pads, cable. Where do you stop otherwise? Tyres? Saddle? Frame?
      just pile it on, loads of room :wink:
      big.jpeg
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • RandG
      njee20 wrote:
      Where is this? Is it 100% beyond the realms of possibility that you could get to a bike shop?

If it were me I'd be asking what am I likely to need, and carry that, but not carry everything that I could possibly break. I'd do tubes, patches, a hanger, possibly a mech if you have one, chain link, brake pads, cable. Where do you stop otherwise? Tyres? Saddle? Frame?

The West Highland Way. I want to complete it without having to divert off the route, but yes you're right, certain things aren't practical and are probably outwith my control. Seems a mech and a cable is what I need to get yet from your list.
    • querhoch
      querhoch Posts: 111
      you dont need 3 days to do the WHW. you can do it in 2. which end are you starting from?
    • RandG
      querhoch wrote:
      you dont need 3 days to do the WHW. you can do it in 2. which end are you starting from?

I am well aware I don't need three days to do the WHW.
    • bennett_346
      bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
      Spare brake pads maybe?
    • gezebo
      gezebo Posts: 364
      Whw is a really good route but not particularly technical. I presume being self sufficient means carrying bivi bag etc so keeping weight down will be important. If your bike is already well maintained then a spare mech is ott IMO. The usual spare kit would prob suffice for this trip. How do you plan on carrying it?
    • RandG
      gezebo wrote:
      Whw is a really good route but not particularly technical. I presume being self sufficient means carrying bivi bag etc so keeping weight down will be important. If your bike is already well maintained then a spare mech is ott IMO. The usual spare kit would prob suffice for this trip. How do you plan on carrying it?

My bike is only 6 months old, but I'm guessing a mech can get broken on route ??

When I say unsupported, I mean I won't have anyone helping me along the way, but I will use one of the baggage company's to take my overnight stuff/change of clothes etc. It's not like I'm gonna be bear grilles :lol:
    • gezebo
      gezebo Posts: 364
      Like anything... it depends! if you fall off lots then maybe, if you are fairly ok then its unlikely. The hardest parts are around 'red' in difficulty depending on your actual route.

From what you've described organisation wise then I'd be taking very little.
    • I presume being self sufficient means carrying bivi bag etc so keeping weight down will be important. If your bike is already well maintained then a spare mech is ott IMO.g.gif
    • Take 3tubes and basic tools, rear gear cable so it works on front as well with cutting and a mech hanger. Not much else really. Oh and shed loads of midge repellent !
    • The Rookie
      The Rookie Posts: 27,812
      Powerlinks and a short length of chain, that way if you brake a chain you can fix it.
      Gear cable, tubes (and stick on patches) and basic tools as suggested including a chain splitter.
      Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
    • gt5xcr
      gt5xcr Posts: 77
      And spare electrolyte tabs to aid your recovery.
      GT I_DRIVE 5 XCR IN BLUE.

Ride everywhere, To/from work(12hrs work a day/5 days a week) and still the energy to hit the trails.
    • 97th choice
      97th choice Posts: 2,222
      Not being rude but do you have sufficient repair knowledge? e.g. Could you convert your bike to a b@stard single speed if you properly trashed your rear mech?
      Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
      Radon ZR 27.5 Race
      Btwin Alur700
      Merida CX500
    • RandG
      Not being rude but do you have sufficient repair knowledge? e.g. Could you convert your bike to a b@stard single speed if you properly trashed your rear mech?

I probably could, but would either have a spare or abandon if things got that bad.