What options are there for shoe covers to go on MTB shoes?

Burt25
Burt25 Posts: 117
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
As the title says- I need some shoe covers for my Shimano MTB shoes, preferably to allow me to walk in them without wrecking the covers- can I use any of the standard road covers or do I need something different? Also, will toe covers work with MTB shoes or do you need SPD-SL cleats to hold these in place?

Thanks

Comments

• Burt25
    Anyone?
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    The only advice I can offer is make sure you buy the right size. I bought overshoes which fit my roadvshoe perfectly but are very tight on my MTB shoes.

Both shoes are specialized and the same shoes size (43).
  • Burt25
    Navrig wrote:
    The only advice I can offer is make sure you buy the right size. I bought overshoes which fit my roadvshoe perfectly but are very tight on my MTB shoes.

I assume with the MTB shoe, you are tramping on the material with the grips of the shoe when walking? Will overshoes wear out quickly on an MTB shoe- I'm looking at a pair of Castelli ones at £40 but don't want to shell out that sort of money if the shoes wreck them.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    My road shoes wear out my over shoes. I need a new pair after 2 years using the current ones..
  • Burt25 wrote:
    Navrig wrote:

I assume with the MTB shoe, you are tramping on the material with the grips of the shoe when walking? Will overshoes wear out quickly on an MTB shoe- I'm looking at a pair of Castelli ones at £40 but don't want to shell out that sort of money if the shoes wreck them.

All overshoes are disposable items and wear out sooner or later. I bought these a few years ago http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CE4Q8wIwAA and they lasted a year. I then bit the bullet and bought these http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=shop ... mWwRCa7JaM

which are much more expensive but have lasted two years with every indication of lasting a lot longer.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    As others have said, all over shoes and toe covers will wear out if you walk on them. By design they go under the shoe as well as above so you will wear them out eventually.

Toe coves will work on MTB shoes, there's nothing special about them, they work in the same way as over shoes.

performance-toasties-shoe-cover-2.jpg

As you can see, as soon as your foot rolls forward, the bit on the toe will contact the ground. My brother had a blow out and phoned me for a lift. He decided to walk a mile to the pickup without removing his toe covers - they now have a big hole in the bottom.

Can't you just remove your over shoe / toe cover and put them in your jersey pocket when you are walking?

Edit: The toes cover in the image is not being held in place by the cleat, simply the stretch of the material around the shoe, it would stay in the same place even if the cleat were removed.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Sorry, I forgot to mention, my PlanetX overshoes fit over both my MTB and road shoes, any overshoe should as far as I know.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I ride with Spesh MTB shoes (Sport and Expert) and quite like the BBB Hardwear overshoes. They are well built but can ride up a bit at the front although I don't mind that. To be honest though, I am not a big fan of overshoes as I find most of them to be too warm (I get quite warm when riding hard so find that the temp has to be around 5-6 degrees before I wear them). Also, most neoprene overshoes I have tried usually get wet through when out for a few hours in the rain... and will then stay wet even if the weather clears. Hence, I prefer to wear some decent socks which then will dry out due to the vents in my shoes when/if the rain stops mid ride. Not sure if that helps!
  • Burt25
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I ride with Spesh MTB shoes (Sport and Expert) and quite like the BBB Hardwear overshoes. They are well built but can ride up a bit at the front although I don't mind that. To be honest though, I am not a big fan of overshoes as I find most of them to be too warm (I get quite warm when riding hard so find that the temp has to be around 5-6 degrees before I wear them). Also, most neoprene overshoes I have tried usually get wet through when out for a few hours in the rain... and will then stay wet even if the weather clears. Hence, I prefer to wear some decent socks which then will dry out due to the vents in my shoes when/if the rain stops mid ride. Not sure if that helps!

Thanks for your advice- I am considering a pair of waterproof sealskinz socks as a possible alternative
  • I wear Altura Nightvision overshoes over my Shimano MO87s, fits pretty well. The toe appears to be reinforced as well, and that's the only bit that goes under the shoe.
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    Sorry, I forgot to mention, my PlanetX overshoes fit over both my MTB and road shoes, any overshoe should as far as I know.

This, I've got those same ones and they're fine.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I have BBB heavy duty which fit fine over a pair of SPD touring style shoes which are pretty similar to MTB shoes
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I have endura mt500 overshoes when I am on the MTB, they provide perfect protection all over, love when I get in from an off road night ride, covered in mud and remove the overshoes and my boots are bone dry and clean!