The Whyte V's Cannondale Question

donnie murdo
donnie murdo Posts: 986
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
So I need to inject cycle commuting into my cycling routine to ensure I get fitter and stay fitter.

I have decided that the best way to motivate myself here is not to utilise an old road bike that I have or purchase a new one for the sake of it and invest in both a specific for the task commuter bike and the relevant clothing too and keep the commuter and road cycling a separate issue for the sake of managing it.

Now, there are a lot of nice looking bikes out there but they seem to be CX's with flat-bars so I have plumped for either a Cannondale Bad Boy (sadly it looks like the 1 is US only with the rather nice solo fork) or a Whyte Stirling or Montpellier (sadly neither come with Alfine hubs) so at an outside is the Genesis Day One which I realise is a CX. I guess the other two are MTB's with slicks but they seem to have at least been designed in some way for a commute position ie: more upright to check for dozy drivers, red lights and early-morning runners that seem to hate pavements. This is something I like about them over the CX conversions which seem more road bike in seating position.

I am still undecided and just need some direction on which one some veteran commuters here may suggest.

Thanks,

DM :D

Comments

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    I think one thing is what your commute distance is - upright hybrid-type front end is fine for shorter rides and through town but for longer rides a road/cx position is going to be preferable.
  • I guess no more than 7-8 miles each way with undulating terrain.

I have three road bikes but want to keep this bike specifically for commuting. It will have no second purpose other than to and from work duties hence the reason for wanting something specifically orientated/designed for this type of riding.

I realise there is a debate on Hybrids etc but this seems to stem from people who want to buy one bike to do it all. I have long since given up on this idea and I am happy to have one bike per job and still find this more cost effective than owning, fuelling and maintaining a reasonable car.

I am taken with the Bad Boy on looks etc but think the Whyte has a better record of being faster..mmm! still undecided.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A 'hybrid' (which I think is a bit of a poor term really, is a massive variation) may actually have the flat portion of its bar lower than some road or CX bikes - depending on what sort of hybrid it is.

I take it you are after a flat barred bike with a more upright, less aggressive riding position?
  • Yes, agreed! 'Hybrid' is a bit of a misnomer.

Ideally I am after a commute specific bike. I have three Planet X road bikes for training and long distance riding. They are for weekends etc as well as an On-One mountain bike albiet with rigid carbon forks and I want a specific bike for riding to work on. I like the upright flat bar look of the Bad Boy and the Whyte range. I ruled out the On-One Dirty Disco early on as there will be no Meds until March 2013 I did look at the Genesis Day One (drop bar PX style) too because of the Alfine hub but don't fancy the heft of their steel frames and I want to stick to a budget of no moe than £1500 for a commute only bike that is likely to be left to the elements whilst parked at work all day.

I kind of have it narrowed to a Whyte or Bad Boy as Evans have a good deal on a Bad Boy 12 model at the moment as well.

I did do the single speed thing in the past but the whole fakenger thing puts me off these now as does cycling them up steep hills.
  • supersonic
    The Whyte is certainly the more sporty of the two, more of a 'flat barred' road bike, but does have that slightly less aggressive ride position. I have seen the Bad Boy 0 for about £1550: the fork will offer a little more comfort (but weight), and the Alfine set up will withstand the elements better. I am not sure about rack and mudguard racks with either though, and to be honest, the Bad Boy doesn't look as good value. Commute specific may take a bit of tinkering to get what you need.

I'd take a look at this too:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... pping#tab2

Only gives 10g away to the Whyte for a lot less money!
  • Sound advice, I feel the Bad Boy may be out of contention now too. I do like the Bad Boy 1 US version but this is not available here.

Racks are not necessary and a rear clip-on mudgaurd (To-Peak, Crud) will suffice.

Amazing how ugly and utilitarian the Boardman looks by comparison to the Whyte R7 models. To be honest, and I am aware of the genrally favourable reviews that Boardman bikes get but I would never give either my money or time to Halfords or Boardman these are best left to the Cycle-To-Work schemes that leave you no choice on the matter. My hard earned ain't going no where near these two.

I think this decision is far from made. I will pay the Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative a visit to see the Whyte in the flesh.

Thanks,

DM
  • I have been commuting on my Cannondale Bad Boy since October, just went past 1000 commuting miles on it in the week before Christmas :) I find it to be comfortable and reasonably fast, I average 16mph on my commute. Just got some ergon grips for Christmas as I find the one piece handlebars / stem a bit buzzy and I was getting pins and needles from time to time.

I've been commuting in all weathers and it's handled brilliantly and appears to weather well!

I have the bad boy with rigid fatty fork and full deore kit, seems to work well and I've not had to adjust anything in 1000 miles, just a wash and a lube :)

Iwas in same position as you, I have an MTB and a road bike and I wanted a dedicated commuter which it fits the bill of. I have full SKS chromoplastic mudguards on and it will take a rack. The disc brakes are really good and predictable.

Any questions just ask,
    Cheers,
    Matt
  • Oh, and there's loads of road and mountain bikes parked at my work, our company ran a cycle to work scheme over summer and there's a lot of fairly new bikes there, and everyone agrees my bad boy is the coolest bike in the rack! :)
  • Thanks Matt,

Yes, I am sure it looks the best on the rack. Sadly I cannot seem to find this model available in the UK:
    http://www.cannondale.com/2013/bikes/re ... /bad-boy-1

I would likely have bought it by now. I Ideally I would want this but fitted with Alfine 11 hub so an off the peg bike may just not be available for what I want.

The Whyte Stirling or Montpellier are both in with a shout The Genesis Day One Alfine 11 is still on the list too. If I can find somewhere that can get a Bad Boy 1 it may be back on.

Choosing a road bike is far easier than this commuter malarky.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBO ... ne_8_speed

flat barred, alfine hub, disc brakes.

reasonable price
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Yep that looks nice rubertoe, could do a lot worse for commuting! :)
  • Thanks Rubertoe, As an owner of three PX road bikes and one On-One MTB it was the first place I looked.

If only they had the Disty Disco as an Alfine and available in my size. Sadly March until they have them back in and there will be no Alfine 11.

You know, I like the Pompetamine but would love to be able to up-spec it to an Alfine 11. the cable management also looks shoddy. Also, the fact that they are not disc specific rims (or option to upgrade at build) really puts me off purely from an aesthetic perspective.

Might be a frame and own build project..
  • supersonic
    Custom build is a good way to go - or modify an MTB. MTBs seem to offer much better value in my eyes - can always sell the fork and get a top quality carbon unit. Plus discs as standard. I am using a 'converted' GT Zaskar, with tri bars and bar ends, great allrounder, lightweight and faster than a road bike on the straights.
  • Twen
    Twen Posts: 6
    I looked at the hybrid whyte bikes alongside a whole host of others but only when I got to ride a Whyte Charing Cross with drop bars did I appreciate how much difference these bikes make. I plumped for the 2013 Charing Cross with Disc Brakes and Tiagra and really pleased with it. Sizing is important for a comfortable ride and I found the CC much more comfortable than Whyte Hybrids such as Sterling because I am a fairly tall chap... Hope this helps...
  • Thanks Twen,

And you know what? The rank outsider at the start of this the Genesis Alfine 11 Day 01 looks to have won the battle.
    I don't want to spend time buying parts etc on this job and I like the whole package of the Day 01 although I am sure there will be a few tweaks some immediate (headset) and some will come later when I have a few rides on it.

I am not sure where or why I changed my mind but there you go.
  • I think if I were in your position I would use one of my existing bikes, you say you have 4 already. Whats wrong with putting slicks on the On One ?.
    I think your needs for a commuter can definatley be met from your existing fleet.!.Especially as its only 16 miles in total! After you get a new bike for this little commute are you then going to get another for going round the block or running an errand etc! :lol: lol..
    Also those Day One Alfines are not the best if you have a puncture either as you have to split the chain to take the wheel off.
  • Thanks for your concern Dandelionclock30,

I actually have about 7 bikes scattered around The On-One is a MTB that is its purpose I can't be bothered with bodging it into a commuter when it is a MTB and ready to roll as this. The road bikes I have are Carbon and Titanium with either Ulterga or Dura Ace and all the trimmings so I see them as too expensive/fragile to use as a commute bike everyday to be left relatively exposed to the elements all day. Plus they have their respective jobs that I need them to be in good condition for.
    The daily commute may be short but there is nothing to stop me taking the long way home either and I see the Day 01 as a capable bike for this purpose of going wherever the fancy takes me.
    Bikes are essentially tools and you need the right tool for the right job. A Marples chisel is a great chisel but ultimately useless as a hammer.
    I have explored the pros and cons of the Alfine 11 but see the tyre change as a minor inconvenience until I am versed on doing it opposed to a show stopper. I believe there is no need to split the chain and I am also pretty capable of doing road side punture repairs without the need to remove the wheel especially as the Day 01 has disc brakes-so no calipers to get in the way.
    I like bikes, I like buying new toys. I like buying shiny new bikes.
    And yes, I have a single speed road bike should I require a round-the-block bike but I tend to walk in those instances as it saves donning all the paraphernalia.