Happy Easter !

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,355
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
I have been thinking. No no - don't scoff: I have had thoughts before, it made my brain hurt.

Quite a few threads and even on the radio there was talk about Christmas.
A) Its a religiouis festival, so if your not religious, why celebrate it?
B) A horrible fact was thrown up on Radio 4 - less than one percent of goods given at christmas are kept for longer than 6 months. That means that Christams is just a landfill experiment.

Easter is actually a pagan festival. I think paganism is probably deeper in our roots (Stonehenge etc) than christian rituals/festivals. (many Christian events have been stolen from other belief systems anyway).
So lets have lots of good food on the 22nd of December, celebrate the shortening nights from the 23rd of December which should actually be the 1st of January and the start of the new year.
At Easter we can give gifts of food and alcofrol and have a shindig and celebrate spring. A pagan calender based upon the Solstice(s) and the sring Equinox, not on the life of Brian and the resultant annual environmental disaster. Waddya think ?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Nice idea and their ways are interesting but it's still a religion.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Celebrate the rhythms of the seasons rather than the agenda of organised religion (which seems to form the tenor of much of our activity these days). I'm up for that.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    As the date of Easter is based on the full moon of the vernal equinox, we could just celebrate full moons, we then get to celebrate every 29.53 days!!

IT'S A FULL MOON TODAY, LET'S CELEBRATE :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike