New to this

Whufcrule
Whufcrule Posts: 131
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Hi people I been mountain biking for the last 7 yrs I suppose just lately I been doing more and more on the roads on a mountain bike and I was recently made redundant so I thought I'd treat my self to a shiny new road bike a lapierre sensium 400 2013 compact I'm quite a big lad 16 stone am I gonna get on ok with a road bike any tips or hints I'd be very grateful thanks guys

Comments

• Going by your name I would say that you are obviously a decent bloke :wink:

Welcome to the forum. :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    hi and welcome,best tip is just ride ride ride,and also make sure you set up your bike as fit is crucial on a road bike.
    enjoy.
    ps,dont get wound up by the key board warriors who think its fun to have a go at us beginners.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • cheers lads as soon as i get it which i cant wait ill get my self set up on it watch the videos and what not yeah we all gotta start some where just the size off the thin wheels are bit daunting do u soon get used to that???
  • Whufcrule wrote:
    cheers lads as soon as i get it which i cant wait ill get my self set up on it watch the videos and what not yeah we all gotta start some where just the size off the thin wheels are bit daunting do u soon get used to that???

I found my road bike to be very 'twitchy' compared to my hardtail but you soon get used to it. Road bikes are much more comfortable than they look.
  • cheers for the confidence boost charlie i gotta wait 5 to 14 days for delivery which will be torture if its 14 days haha
  • Whufcrule wrote:
    cheers for the confidence boost charlie i gotta wait 5 to 14 days for delivery which will be torture if its 14 days haha

That's nothing! I have a new Canyon on order which is not due to be built until April.
    Now that's torture :lol:
  • If you're 16 stone, get your tyre pressures right, or you'll be forever getting pinch punctures.

I was that heavy (now 14 stone) but still check my tyre pressure and inflate before every single ride, without exception.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    If you're 16 stone, get your tyre pressures right, or you'll be forever getting pinch punctures.

I was that heavy (now 14 stone) but still check my tyre pressure and inflate before every single ride, without exception.
    This is useful for getting your tire pressures right http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    You'll love both. Each bike offers a totally different riding position. When I switch from road to MTB, I tell myself that I should spend more time on the MTB. When I switch back I tell myself that road's better. You will enjoy the confident but solid ride of the fat tyred bike and then the fast and twitchy ride of the thin tyred bike. A whole new world has opened up for you. All I need is to lose two stone. At least.
  • what should my tire pressures be then?? i tried your link but my computer playing up wont open acrobat reader cheers
  • Seriously lads what sort off pressures should my tires be if I'm 16 stone 5 I don't wanna run them to low and get punctures shall I just do it to the maximum psi it will allow?? To be on the safe side?? Cheers
  • I'm over 18 stone and run both tyres at 120psi. Don't worry about being a big bloke on a road bike, I had same concerns earlier this year when I started but after a few weeks realised it wasn't worth the worry. One thing I would advise is to check the wheels stay true. I had that problem till I upgraded my wheels due to a rta and found the more expensive wheels stay true compared to the wheels that came with my giant.

And why does he need to lose 2 stone? Ok it will help on climbs but if he's fit he will be fine. I'm 18.5 stone and do well both on flat and climbing. It's all about fitness and getting the miles in your legs.
  • Both at 120psi brilliant cheers mate yeah I was bit concerned about being so big on a road bike but obviously I'm not alone then cheers u put my mind at ease we've all gotta start somewhere aint we
  • Whufcrule wrote:
    Seriously lads what sort off pressures should my tires be if I'm 16 stone 5 I don't wanna run them to low and get punctures shall I just do it to the maximum psi it will allow?? To be on the safe side?? Cheers

According to the info on the weblink that Gizmodo posted a racing bike should have a 60/40 weight distribution back/front tyres. A 16 stone bloke on a 9 kg bike is 110kg give or take so say 65kg on the rear and 45kg front.

According to the chart if you are using 23mm tyres then you should have around 150psi on the rear and around 105psi on the front. A 25mm rear tyre would be 130psi and a 28mm would be 110psi.

Running 120 on the front is fine but if you take it down to 105 then the ride won't be as harsh.
    A wider rear tyre would be a safer option but as k3vinjam3s says 120 should be okay.

Sorry for the anorak reply but you did ask :)
    I was even boring myself towards the end :shock:

:mrgreen:
  • No u were not boring me I wanna learn stuff as I'm new to this lads I got really rookie question for u know how do u change gear I think there on the breaks?? But not sure never had road bike and still waiting for mine to arrive cheers lads
  • yes they are on the breaks. move the specific lever to change one way, and the brake lever itself to move the opposite

brakes even...
  • Gizmodo
    Whufcrule wrote:
    No u were not boring me I wanna learn stuff as I'm new to this lads I got really rookie question for u know how do u change gear I think there on the breaks?? But not sure never had road bike and still waiting for mine to arrive cheers lads
    It depends whether you have SRAM, Shimano or Campag and then which model.

Bottom of the range Shimano use a thumb lever on the hood and the brake lever. http://youtu.be/0kxxoJp3aXs
    Other Shimano models use the brake lever and a smaller paddle behind the brake lever. http://youtu.be/kLb1bDYmblQ

SRAM use a paddle behind the brake lever, either a short push or a long push see http://www.bicyclewarehouse.com/articles/how-to-shift-sram-doubletap-levers-pg463.htm

Campagnolo use a paddle behind the brake lever and a thumb lever on the hood. http://youtu.be/Rh7DSryVhNA
  • shud have said my comment was for 'mid' range shimano, as gizmodo points out varies on make and on the lower end shimano you have a specific thumb shifter on the hood like on my orbea.
  • i think my bike coming with shimano ultegra if thats how u spell it haha which dont mean much to me guys im spending just over 2grand on the bike so im hoping its coming with some decent parts on it so how do u change those ones for any one who got those???
  • Gizmodo
    edited December 2012
    Whufcrule wrote:
    i think my bike coming with shimano ultegra if thats how u spell it haha which dont mean much to me guys im spending just over 2grand on the bike so im hoping its coming with some decent parts on it so how do u change those ones for any one who got those???
    As per my previous post, Ultegra is higher end Shimano levers use the brake lever to move to a bigger cog and a smaller paddle behind to move to a smaller cog.

Shimano road bike gears, low to high end:
    - 2300 (8 speed), Sora (9speed), Tiagra (10 speed)*, 105 (10 speed), Ultegra (10 speed) and Dura-Ace (11 speed)

Ultegra and Dura-Ace also come in electronic versions called Di2.

[Edit:] * Tiagra added after ChrisOnABike pointed out my omission.
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    - 2300 (8 speed), Sora (9speed), 105 (10 speed), Ultegra (10 speed) and Dura-Ace (11 speed)
    Er, doesn't Tiagra (10 speed) come between Sora and 105?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • lovely job cheers mate sounds very confusing at the minute but sure ill get the hang off it well hope i will any way haha
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo wrote:
    - 2300 (8 speed), Sora (9speed), 105 (10 speed), Ultegra (10 speed) and Dura-Ace (11 speed)
    Sh1t, I knew I'd missed one but I couldn't see it :roll:
    :D
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Sh1t, I knew I'd missed one but I couldn't see it :roll:
    :D
    No worries. My knowledge extends no further than what is actually fitted to my own bike, so it's quite nice to be able to make an actual technical contribution for once!!
    Is the gorilla tired yet?