Christmas is for kids, right?

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,943
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
Most of us enjoy Christmas, and if we have children, it really revolves around them for most of the time. So a conversation with my neice yesterday had me wondering where we're going.

She works in a day nursery in a nearby town. She was talking about her job and said that some of the parents wanted to know what hours they were doing on Christmas and Boxing days. :shock:

Can you believe that?

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    That is sad. Even if a parent had to work on Christmas Day, one would hope that there was a partner, Grand Parent, Uncle, Aunty or some sort of family to look after a child. It would be really sad to think that either:
    (A) the parent had absolutely no family or friends willing to help or
    (B) the parent(s) just wanted shot of the kid for a few hours
  • I don't think it's unrealistic to think there might be single parents out there who don't live near any immediate family and have to put a shift in on Christmas or Boxing day.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If you can't afford them or afford to spend time with them, why have them.
    We tossed a coin to see who'd give up work to stay at home with them, I lost but I'm bringing my lads up instead of a total stranger.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Bozman wrote:
    We tossed a coin to see who'd give up work to stay at home with them, I lost but I'm bringing my lads up instead of a total stranger.

It may surprise you to know that not everyone can predict the future with a 100% success rate like you. Who knows what their circumstances are.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Bozman
    DesWeller wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

It may surprise you to know that not everyone can predict the future with a 100% success rate like you. Who knows what their circumstances are.

I some how managed to get to 40 without having one, accidents do happen but too any folk have kids without any thought about the future.
    My wife could write a book about the attitude of parents at her school, they bring the children into the world and then expect everyone else to do the work.
  • Bozman wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

I some how managed to get to 40 without having one, accidents do happen but too any folk have kids without any thought about the future.
    My wife could write a book about the attitude of parents at her school, they bring the children into the world and then expect everyone else to do the work.

Don't be so narrow minded, the OP could have unwittingly been referring to single parents who've suffered the death of a spouse or had someone bugger off and leave them looking after the kids..the truth is we haven't a clue.
  • Bozman
    Bozman wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

Don't be so narrow minded, the OP could have unwittingly been referring to single parents who've suffered the death of a spouse or had someone bugger off and leave them looking after the kids..the truth is we haven't a clue.

That may have been a one off due to unforeseen circumstances, but I can tell you that generally it isn't a one off and parents do complain that there isn't anywhere to off-load their kids during Xmas week, Easter week or any other holiday.