Fork Coil Spring Change Advice

jerryfudd
jerryfudd Posts: 343
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Need to change the coil spring in my Rockshox XC30's - already have the replacement spring and the Rockshox service manual and the swap seems simple enough but can anyone give me some advice?

The forks are barely a few months old (maybe 3?) ....would it be possible to get away with re-using the existing washers etc and oil?

thanks

Dan

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    washers etc should be okay, but you're going to lose the oil when you take them apart
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • thanks, figured as much.

I've been reading the document below as to the grade and weight but it lists 100ml for upper tube and 10ml for lower leg..... so 110ml in total and i tip 100ml into the stanchion and 10ml into the leg?

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/YL3tV_-p2R7RHzoYEvE-kYZ9IWS_u4gj_2ldmQp4Ano/mtime:1340230333/sites/default/files/techdocs/gen_0000000004198_rockshox_suspension_fork_oil_chart_2013_0.pdf

thanks,

Dan
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You will not lose the damper oil as it is sealed in the upper leg.
  • chez_m356
    jerryfudd wrote:
    thanks, figured as much.

I've been reading the document below as to the grade and weight but it lists 100ml for upper tube and 10ml for lower leg..... so 110ml in total and i tip 100ml into the stanchion and 10ml into the leg?
    No, the 100ml is for the TK damper in the right leg, you shouldn't really need to touch this if they are only a few months old, the oil for that is also a different weight, 5wt, you want to be using 15wt for the fork lowers, all you need to do when you replace the spring is to grease the spring fit it, then put 10ml of 15wt oil in each lower leg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    And if you are careful you can collect that 10ml anyway.
  • i see, i thought id only be able to collect so much due to residue on the existing spring that doesnt drip off plus residue on the container i collect it all up in.....

chez_m356: so your take on it is 10ml in each leg??? is that just because there is no plural on the PDF doc when it says 'Lower Leg' or knowledge from elsewhere?

also the age old question.... torque wrench..... wonder if i can get away without one for the 1.4nm & 7.3nm on re-assemly :roll:

thanks,

Dan
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    jerryfudd wrote:
    i see, i thought id only be able to collect so much due to residue on the existing spring that doesnt drip off plus residue on the container i collect it all up in.....

chez_m356: so your take on it is 10ml in each leg??? is that just because there is no plural on the PDF doc when it says 'Lower Leg' or knowledge from elsewhere?

also the age old question.... torque wrench..... wonder if i can get away without one for the 1.4nm & 7.3nm on re-assemly :roll:

thanks,

Dan
    It's 10ml in each, for lubrication.
  • chez_m356
    jerryfudd wrote:
    i see, i thought id only be able to collect so much due to residue on the existing spring that doesnt drip off plus residue on the container i collect it all up in.....

you have to remove the lower legs to be able to change the spring, so obviously oil will drain from both legs, so will need replacing, and yes i service my own forks, mine are recons, i can't find a service manual for the xc30 on the sram site, but they look similar to the recon tk's, have a look here http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/Vhmhg ... manual.pdf though probably not exactly the same, may give you a little help on coil spring removal/installation and lower leg installation
  • thanks guys, somehow I had it in my head it was 10ml to do the job so 5ml per side :roll:

Dan