In which my son gets a new bike for Xmas...

rob churchill
rob churchill Posts: 272
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
...and is transformed into Rylan off X-Factor.

Jack's bike.

Enjoy. :D
I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.

Comments

• Nice one :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Brilliant - especially the way he hugs his brother !

Chapeau Monsieur, chapeau !
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Made my day. :D
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Brilliant, brought a tear to my eye :) He'll need the bike for his paper round, so he can pay for his new obsession :wink:
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    edited December 2012
    That is one of the best things I have seen all year. Just like Random Man brought a tear to my eye.

I lost my job at the start of 2012 and bitted and bobbed about for 9 months until I can get another decent job, I sold most of my bikes to keep up my end with the mortgage and recently bought a B twin triban 3 to keep my hand in and keep me going. Must say its the best £xxxx (just in case Jack is reading) I ve ever spent.

Seeing the look of Joy on Jacks face and his reaction to getting a new bike made my Christmas, that was ace.

Knowing the misery of not having a bike and the near almost depression it caused me, When I ve saved enough for another I m going to sort out some kind of way of Loaning out my Triban to those who loose their job and are bikeless for a while (Only exemption from this is Willhub). Until they get back on their uppers.

Enjoy Jack thats a hell of a bike and a hell of a Dad you've got there boy.

p.s Only Joking Willhub/ Would just prefer it to be a short term loan :D
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Best christmas film ever, need to put it up every year, that would be a repeat worth watching :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    Brilliant! Well done Dad. :D
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Just great.

I loved the fact he found the drops straight away.

Born to ride...!?!?!

Thanks for posting that. I have sold my Tarmac due to cash flow issues (read regret buying so many nice bikes) and this reminds me that a new generation of riders are coming through. Happy days.

Pete.
  • Echo all the above!!!!!
  • Fantastic, there is nothing like that feeling of getting your first proper bike.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • nice one. a very cool way to do it.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    The sadle hieght. Is too high?
  • tim_wand
    willhub wrote:

You sound like Bill Webster (Kevin off Corries Dad) in the Yellow Pages ad from the 80's

If you dont cheer Up Willhub you ll get visited by the Ghost of Christams past, or maybe Marleys Ghost (A.K.A your mate Bhima in his white skin suit) That would scare me to change my ways :D
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I don't mind saying that brings a little tear to the eye.

I for one would like to hear a bit more Jack and bit less Freddie, I can't quite catch all his excitement, but nice one all the same.

It's great when you buy unexpected presents. My youngest is into photography and I got hold of a set of used studio lights for him last year for Christmas. Like you we'd opened all the presents and then said "Oh yes, there's one more for Matt" and produced a huge carryall that had the set in it.

Matt's reaction? ...... "You've got to be sh1tting me!", but then he was a very chuffed 17yr old.

The older I get, the better I was.

• crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I got my son a Triban 3 a few years back and he was just as delighted as your son, although there was less jumping around.

Now........"surely I can ride your Scott Foil 40, I mean I'm a better rider than you so it's stands to reason that I should have the better bike!"

Just letting you know what's coming down the line!!
  • rob churchill
    rob churchill Posts: 272
    edited December 2012
    willhub wrote:

Saddle height's ok, just*. I may have to find a shorter stem.

*won't go any lower anyway - I'd have to take a little off the seatpost with a hacksaw and he won't let me do that. But as he's growing ~4cm/year I reckon if it's a little high now it'll be fine in a couple of weeks. ;)
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • crispybug2 wrote:
    I got my son a Triban 3 a few years back and he was just as delighted as your son, although there was less jumping around.

Now........"surely I can ride your Scott Foil 40, I mean I'm a better rider than you so it's stands to reason that I should have the better bike!"

Just letting you know what's coming down the line!!

Oh, don't I know it - he's already talking about how long it'll be before he drops me :roll:
  • tim wand wrote:
    willhub wrote:

You sound like Bill Webster (Kevin off Corries Dad) in the Yellow Pages ad from the 80's

If you dont cheer Up Willhub you ll get visited by the Ghost of Christams past, or maybe Marleys Ghost (A.K.A your mate Bhima in his white skin suit) That would scare me to change my ways :D

Tim, it's comments like that that endear him to everyone on here.................................................not!
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • tim_wand
    tim wand wrote:
    willhub wrote:

Tim, it's comments like that that endear him to everyone on here.................................................not!

Maybe its the paternal softie in me Frank but I cant help but feel a bit benevolent to the miserable git, to be that young and inbittered by life worries me. I dont mean to be condescending but surely you need to be a bit older before your that bitter and twisted . Either that or he's a world class troll :wink:

Just wish he was old enough to get the reference to the yellow pages ad :!:
  • First off, thanks to everyone who's posted on this topic for your responses which have been overwhelmingly positive. I was a bit wary of putting anything to do with the kids up on the net, especially as it's not anonymous, but you've shown that there are a few civilized corners of the web.

Second, you may like to know that Jack rode his first TT this morning. He posted 35:07 for 10miles, which I reckon is not bad for his age and experience.

Happy New Year to you all. :D
  • zippy483
    zippy483 Posts: 104
    Takes me back to being a twelve year old, and my dad did something very similar for me, pearlescent whtie Peugeot, that bike was a regular topic of conversation and it was only on the day of my dads funeral that mum found out it had fallen off the back of a lorry :)

Talk of that bike and dad got me back in the saddle

Enjoy the bike Jack it'll stay with you for life :)
  • tim_wand
    First off, thanks to everyone who's posted on this topic for your responses which have been overwhelmingly positive. I was a bit wary of putting anything to do with the kids up on the net, especially as it's not anonymous, but you've shown that there are a few civilized corners of the web.

Second, you may like to know that Jack rode his first TT this morning. He posted 35:07 for 10miles, which I reckon is not bad for his age and experience.

Happy New Year to you all. :D

Excellent time Jack Well done. hope you both have a great 2013, sure he ll soon break the 30 minute mark, then its going to cost you Rob.. Just how much are a set of Zipps nowadays.