New clothing needed

scottybob
scottybob Posts: 84
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Im after some new cycling gear can anybody advise me what I actually need??
I'm confused with base layer, mid layer etc! I have cycling leggings and a rain proof jacket and am looking at getting some sealskinz socks first of all but what t shirt/base layer should I be looking at?
Also where is a good place to get them from? wiggle?
Oh I dont want top of the range all singing all dancing etc but half decent stuff
Thanks Scott

Comments

• I cam across this from my other sport, 100% windproof so keeps you toasty and warm even at 5.00 on a december morning - its does let water in as its not 100% waterproof but ive not come out dripping.

http://www.hartleyboatschandlery.co.uk/ ... isex&shop=
  • I use the decathalon base layers. I think they are really good but I've nothing to compare them to. Sealskinz are fab.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    scottybob wrote:
    I'm confused with base layer, mid layer etc!

Exactly as it states -
    Base layer is the layer that goes on first, under everything else, a high wicking top such as merino wool tops are well recommended for this. - long or short sleeve and neck type
    Mid layer goes on over that e.g. a jersey, same as above, long or short sleeve
    Top layer is say your waterproof or windproof jacket, again dictated by weather and own body temperatures.

All of the above is dictated by the weather and your own body temperature and you can wear a combination of whatever you want, some get hotter than others during a work out so don't layer up as much or with items as thick, its all a personal thing and no one can tell you what to wear but can guide you on what does what.
    scottybob wrote:
    Also where is a good place to get them from? wiggle?

Wherever has good customer service and is reasonably priced, again personal preference.

Google is your friend in this instance.
  • Just ordered some sealskinz socks off eBay for £23 and some funkier lycra shorts from globalbike website for £15 so I await the delivery hopefully be here in time for my next ride.
    I am only 5 min away from decathlon so I will have a look down there suppose they are not the best quality but sure they will be more than good enough.
    Thanks for the responses
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    scottybob wrote:
    I am only 5 min away from decathlon so I will have a look down there suppose they are not the best quality but sure they will be more than good enough.

Decathlon are generally fine in terms of quality.
  • hi

the decathlon stuff is fine and if you catch it at the right sale time their is some great bargains

i have just ordered this http://www.sportsdirect.com/pro-performance-long-sleeved-mock-base-layer-mens-429156

i have 5 of them, their retail price is 19.99 but at the moment they are only 3.99. all the black has sold out now but their is blue or a bright orange or yellow. the blue is fine, the quality is brillent. its a snug skin fit but thats how i like my base layer
    for the money you wont find anything as good as this, just as a guide incase you do buy any i wear a large and im a 42" chest.
    :mrgreen: