struggleing bike set up

blueneedles
blueneedles Posts: 74
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Greetings fellow bikers, sorry if it seems like im babbleing :?

Ive been trying to get back into cycleing after a 10 year gap. In jan i bought a carrera vulcan xc to get back into cycleing but found it difficult to get that buzz back after several months i was so unimpressed i got rid and didnt want to cycle again till early september when i bought a specialized fsr comp xc, since september of this year ive been and keeping a track of my fitness which has been slow to say the least.. After reading reviews through this site and freinds advice ive been playing around with setup and upgrades within my tiny budget to overcome the energy sapping and springy ride...

Ive made some improvements being
Maxxis advantage 2.1 rear tyre
maxxis high roller (super tacky) 2.35 front tyre
Superstar components Nano flat peddels

this has improved the feel and ive started to spped up slightly but not greatly,and on light mud tracks pushing trough is very difficult. The muscles in my legs are very poor so i tend to get jelly legged very easy on small inclines,clime's or mud tracks...

so the main thing im asking is there any cheap budget improvements i can make to make my ride alittle easyer bike wise and maybe some fitness exesizes without access to gym equipment i could do to improve???

Ive been logging my rides on strava being only short rides and work runs http://app.strava.com/athletes/1074782

thankyou in advance for any info etc and again i appologise for the lenghty babbleing post

sy

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Just ride more, then your fitness will improve, and get in a gear so you can spin the pedals on the inclines.

If you want to do other stuff and don't have access to a gym either get some lights and ride at night or just do some bodyweight exercises, squats, press ups, burpees, sit ups, pull ups (if you've got a bar handy).

You say the ride on your bike is springy; how have you set up the suspension?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Ride more, but at the same time don't just ride the same old thing at the same old pace, you need to push yourself (slowly) over time to really benefit.

Oh and http://dictionary.reference.com/
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    Just ride more, then your fitness will improve, and get in a gear so you can spin the pedals on the inclines.

If you want to do other stuff and don't have access to a gym either get some lights and ride at night or just do some bodyweight exercises, squats, press ups, burpees, sit ups, pull ups (if you've got a bar handy).

You say the ride on your bike is springy; how have you set up the suspension?

Ive wathed some youtube video's and read about set ups via internet etc to adjust rebound etc front and air pressure for rear shock but still seem to struggle to find something that works for me for an all rounder if you get what i mean...

I know its difficult to give that sort of info due to weight factors etc but maybe a simular model bike has better quality components that may fit and that other people may have tried or run....

I have some lights but work late nights during the week so the only night rideing is comeing home from work very tired and stiff from standing long hours.

As for weights i just use a curl bar and dumbells for 10/15 mins, i tend not to do much leg work before work as i struggle at work and have nothing left for the way home but im trying to get more and more exersize per week
  • Briggo wrote:
    Ride more, but at the same time don't just ride the same old thing at the same old pace, you need to push yourself (slowly) over time to really benefit.

Oh and http://dictionary.reference.com/

After doing the short runs i have im starting to plan a few greater distance rides but i dont have much trails or decent mtb runs localy, its mainly road routes that surround me but thats not my idea of a good ride..

cheers for the link but it doesnt help much being very dyslexic!!!! Im asking for cycling help not spelling, grammer advice so keep it to your sen eh!? :roll:
  • mcnultycop
    Don't worry about the bike and its components. Just ride it and eat well and you'll get fitter.

I dropped about 20kg of weight just getting out on an average hardtail with a shockingly bad fork, and cutting out the crap from my diet.
  • MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    Hi there,

Why not try doing some deep lunges with your dumb bells, this will work the thighs and calfs you could also use them for squats.... That'll build the leg muscles... As for fitness... Lung capacity is key... More oxygen more fitness.... And all cardio improves this...keep going!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are you using your gears right, is the saddle at the right height, getting both wrong will tire you out much quicker.

Most people rie too high a gear, ideally your legs should be spinning at 80-90rpm, most people do about 50rpm naturally, and then through poor use of gears slog through mud and up hills at 30rpm which really saps your energy.

Many people ride with the saddle too low, as a quick rule of thumb, leg 'just' straight, heel on pedal at the bottom of the pedal stroke. http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ght-14608/ is useful, but the 25 degree method has me baffled!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    Don't worry about the bike and its components. Just ride it and eat well and you'll get fitter.

I dropped about 20kg of weight just getting out on an average hardtail with a shockingly bad fork, and cutting out the crap from my diet.

I currently weigh about 12.5 stone 80kg since starting cycling again mainly for financial reasons ive lost alot of weight since september. i used to weight 16.10 stone 102kg.
    At the moment my daily eating rasheam is

fruit n fibre 50-60g with cup of coffee in morning 8-9am,
    10-10.30 fruit n fibre 50-60g cup of coffee
    12.00 sandwich 2 slices wafer thin ham for filling cup of coffee
    cycle to work
    4-4.15pm sandwich fruit juice
    6-6.30pm sandwich fruit juice
    7.45-8pm fruit juice no food
    cycle from work
    11pm 50-60g fruit n fibre
    bed...
  • MTBUK wrote:
    Hi there,

Why not try doing some deep lunges with your dumb bells, this will work the thighs and calfs you could also use them for squats.... That'll build the leg muscles... As for fitness... Lung capacity is key... More oxygen more fitness.... And all cardio improves this...keep going!

Im not very good with ballance with lunges as my poor leg muscles prevent me from bending down to far as i struggle to get back up, also i struggle with a weak core so as soon as i get so far i have to stop other wise i tend to fold over (frontwards and past tipping,ballance ponit) and have to drop the weights...

I will defo try to use this though as all info is greatly appreciated and tried to find something that works for me :D
  • Are you using your gears right, is the saddle at the right height, getting both wrong will tire you out much quicker.

Most people rie too high a gear, ideally your legs should be spinning at 80-90rpm, most people do about 50rpm naturally, and then through poor use of gears slog through mud and up hills at 30rpm which really saps your energy.

Many people ride with the saddle too low, as a quick rule of thumb, leg 'just' straight, heel on pedal at the bottom of the pedal stroke. http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ght-14608/ is useful, but the 25 degree method has me baffled!

Probably not and yes i believe ive finally got a sutible ride height for me :)
    Knowing what gear im Supposed to be in has baffled me some what since ive started cycling again, I try different gears to and from work to see what feels better and quicker but with factor's of wind and even a slight incline im struggleing to keep a steady RPM going. I just cant seem to give that little bit extra to keep momentum up and jelly leg instantly comes into effect, i try to stand and push through but just cant put any power down..
    on cycle track (concrete) i tend to ride in big cog front and depending on strength on the day anything from 1st to 5th cog at the back..
    Off road i tend to stay in the middle cog front and same as above depending on surface but as soon as i hit mud almost stop and turning the peddels feels like im holding the breaks on! most of the time i get through at a crawl at best but feel quite tired after doing so i tend to keep rides short to avoid feeling deflated.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If your standing up in your in far to high a gear, learn to start downshifting as soon as you slow down....poor gear choice will really harm your stamina.....

It takes a while to get used to spinning at the right speed, on road is easier, you should select your gear for your leg speed, then you can ignore winds and hills as you'll be in the correct gear for all factors!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcnultycop

cycle to work
    cycle from work
    bed...

Bread and cereal? I'd feel shocking if that was what I lived on. Get some more veg and protein in your diet and less refined carbs, you'll feel a load better for it.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    mcnultycop wrote:

cycle to work
    cycle from work
    bed...

Bread and cereal? I'd feel shocking if that was what I lived on. Get some more veg and protein in your diet and less refined carbs, you'll feel a load better for it.

^This this this this.

Any weight loss I've ever achieved (from 18st down to about 12.5 now) has not been down to dieting. I eat the same as I always have, including crap, just exercise normally and it keeps it off. Starving yourself to the point that exercise is impossible defeats the point.
  • warpcow wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:

cycle to work
    cycle from work
    bed...

^This this this this.

Any weight loss I've ever achieved (from 18st down to about 12.5 now) has not been down to dieting. I eat the same as I always have, including crap, just exercise normally and it keeps it off. Starving yourself to the point that exercise is impossible defeats the point.

I do understand what your saying and i wish i could be more structured with my eating but this is no diet for me this is all i can literally afford at the momment i have between £8-12 a week to live on after mortgage and bills etc... :cry:

What i class as fitness diets are not cheap anymore and especially when the budget is tight something has to give, i long the day when i can think im going for a big ride so i will need protien this gels that but unfortunately this is not an option for me. A ride for me consists of water only as its not possible to take anything else due to funds :(
  • mcnultycop
    I do understand what your saying and i wish i could be more structured with my eating but this is no diet for me this is all i can literally afford at the momment i have between £8-12 a week to live on after mortgage and bills etc... :cry:

If things are that bad then I feel for you mate.
    What i class as fitness diets are not cheap anymore and especially when the budget is tight something has to give, i long the day when i can think im going for a big ride so i will need protien this gels that but unfortunately this is not an option for me. A ride for me consists of water only as its not possible to take anything else due to funds :(

I didn't mean shakes or gels, I meant get some protein in your life. Meat, fish, pulses, eggs, dairy etc.

If I were in your shoes I'd be buying stuff like cheap tins of beans and the like to tide me over, but making big meals and making them last a few days:
    Chickpea and frozen pea curry (onion, spices, tinned tomatoes for sauce, put in whatever you can get in terms of veg and add a tin of chickpeas that are full of protein. With the "value" range at the supermarket I could make that for about £1 (the spices would be an investment, but would last months) and it'd do for a few days.
    Wholewheat pasta with tomato and veg sauce.
    Cheap eggs for omlettes for breakfast

If you came into some cash you could throw some meat in. If you know anyone else in the same boat take it in turns to cook

I've been skint in the past and it is hard to eat well on a limited budget, but cereal and bread will just make you feel wiped you out in the long term.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537

Baked beans on toast is a great cheap meal if things are that bad.
  • I didn't mean shakes or gels, I meant get some protein in your life. Meat, fish, pulses, eggs, dairy etc.

If I were in your shoes I'd be buying stuff like cheap tins of beans and the like to tide me over, but making big meals and making them last a few days:
    Chickpea and frozen pea curry (onion, spices, tinned tomatoes for sauce, put in whatever you can get in terms of veg and add a tin of chickpeas that are full of protein. With the "value" range at the supermarket I could make that for about £1 (the spices would be an investment, but would last months) and it'd do for a few days.
    Wholewheat pasta with tomato and veg sauce.
    Cheap eggs for omlettes for breakfast

If you came into some cash you could throw some meat in. If you know anyone else in the same boat take it in turns to cook

I've been skint in the past and it is hard to eat well on a limited budget, but cereal and bread will just make you feel wiped you out in the long term.[/quote]

Cheers dude this is a great help and will consider what you have mentioned when I go shopping with the wifey ;)
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Got to agree with the above, Get some pasta and make some tuna pasta bake etc. Jacket potatoes. Frozen chicken etc.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Also keep an eye out in the supermarkets, They always put food that's nearly out of date in certain areas and they do it like clockwork. Keep track of when they do and go get yourself some cheap chicken lol.
  • Awesome sauce cheers for the I go guys
  • i know its already been said, but that diet, or 'eating plan' if its not a diet is shocking. You must feel drained all the time.

You need to cut down the fruit juice, thats a suger spike, followed by a crash of energy. Exactly the same with the coffee.

Start with simple things like adding a tin of tuna per day. Then add an ommelette as well. Both are rammed with protien, and you'll start feeling a lot better for it.

This should then transfer to greater cycling, more power in the legs, and ultimatley more enjoyment.

However, its very easy to just write it, its much more difficult to put it into practice. But one step at a time, and you'll see a big difference.

All the best.
  • i know its already been said, but that diet, or 'eating plan' if its not a diet is shocking. You must feel drained all the time.

You need to cut down the fruit juice, thats a suger spike, followed by a crash of energy. Exactly the same with the coffee.

Start with simple things like adding a tin of tuna per day. Then add an ommelette as well. Both are rammed with protien, and you'll start feeling a lot better for it.

This should then transfer to greater cycling, more power in the legs, and ultimatley more enjoyment.

However, its very easy to just write it, its much more difficult to put it into practice. But one step at a time, and you'll see a big difference.

Cheerd duck, ive changed my shopping round this week by getting eggs,tuna and a few other odds and sods.. I went on an 11.6 mile ride on the 27th and i was utterly dead when i got home and struggled through the rest of the day...

Hopefully will get out on the bike this week if weather behaves so i will see how i feel after the food i bought this week and plan meals alot better. :) The only thing i struggle with with healthy eating etc is they bombard you with that much info it just turns me off reading into it. Im very greatfull for the help from you guys on this matter it is most helpful to me as most people, riders etc arnt very forthcoming with info these days..

sy

All the best.
  • MTBUK wrote:
    Hi there,

Hi there
    How deep to you go with your leg lounges ? Need to improve my leg strengh .