Project budget blower

JMcP92
JMcP92 Posts: 339
edited June 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Hello folks!

A little backstory first I suppose. I've been less than your standard rider on here for many years, got my first real bicycle when I was 10, thought it was a great amazing thing, full suspension and all... granted it was £90 from Macro, but I was 10, who was I to care?
Anyway, given how much it cost I'm sure you can all gather it didn't last too long. After that I moved slightly up in the world to a fairly cheap Trek, can't remember what it was to be fair, it was about £240 at the time and I was about 13, used it for paper rounds and going to school but it always seemed to break. To be fair to it, looking back if I use a bike in all weather several miles a day 5/6 days a week with zero maintenance, I suppose it was bound to happen. Popped tyres, blown tubes, snapped chains, dodgy gears, seized forks etc. etc. After some years it met the end of it's life and I decided I wanted a full susser, this can only go well, no?

...Well... no, seeing as I ended up at Halfords... no, very much not. I ended up buying an Apollo FS26s (god help me). Looking back I can't possibly imagine why I thought it was good, jumped up and down like a pogo stick, couldn't handle the slightest bit of dirt and was horrendously heavy. It got used and abused for many years, 6+ it must of been with minimal maintainable, it may of been terrible but it took punishment like a trooper. In summer this year, it got stolen from outside my house. To be honest I didn't notice it was gone for about 2 weeks, when I did notice the reaction wasn't "Oh my god" it was more "...meh". As much as I didn't care, I still needed a bike for uni, so I thought I'd save up through summer and get something decent this time, and so I did.

I splashed out all my hard earned on a Norco Charger 6.1, got it for £580 from Evan's which I was pretty happy with, best bike I'd ever had even if it's not exactly top of the range, light, quick, nimble and very fun. I had great enjoyment on it. Cycling that thing was good for me, cycling has always been a nice distraction for me and that wee bike got me through some difficult times with stuff going on, I thought it was great!

norco.jpg

Only issue is... I bought it in June or so... by September it got nicked from outside uni. I was late so I cycled into uni. Arrived just before 1pm, got in, came out about 4pm and gone. It was locked up to a fence outside in the middle of the day on a road that is always busy, but.. gone. Lock was cut in two and left on the floor. Not a happy bunny. Called the Police and such but got little reaction, turned up to my flat to get a statement about 3 weeks later but frankly I've very little faith in that. As much as it annoys me they do have bigger fish to fry. So now it would seem it's time to start a-fresh

Last time, I decided I'd move up from a crappy old Apollo to a nice fun Norco, now I will move up in the world once more, and this ain't getting left at uni, not a chance.
I recently bought an On One 456 Carbon frame (yes, another one) and intend to make it good :) I've not got the frame yet, but I "may" have gone on a bit on a spending spree in the CRC sale and come across some LOVELY bits of kit for a lot less than I had anticipated, there goes the plan of eating for the month. I'm rather keen on making this damn good so here we go:

On One Carbon 456 frame (Shady phone pic)

62201410277729040576103.jpg

KMC X10 93 10 10sp Chain

dscf6415k.jpg

Shimano HG62 10 Speed MTB Cassette

dscf6416p.jpg

NC-17 MG II Magnesium Flat Pedals

dscf6418h.jpg

This build will likely take a fair while but should be damn good in the end I am hoping. I'm one of these unfortunate few who don't get a student loan, so it could take some time. Although, I do run my own business on top of uni, so if anyone is looking for a custom made bespoke website on the cheap, let me know :)

Hope you all like where this is going.
John.

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    2 things worth noting. Those cranks are BB30 so will not fit the frame, so send them back to crc and see if you can find one that will fit. The 456 takes a standard threaded bottom bracket, which FSA call mega-exo.

The bars and stem will feel very, very wrong too. The stem looks way to long and on a bike like the 456 a bar around 700mm and a 50-70mm stem is going to suit better.

Good luck with the build though!
  • Deffo look at a shorter stem, I think tOn One recommended a 50mm
  • JMcP92
    lawman wrote:
    2 things worth noting. Those cranks are BB30 so will not fit the frame, so send them back to crc and see if you can find one that will fit. The 456 takes a standard threaded bottom bracket, which FSA call mega-exo.

The bars and stem will feel very, very wrong too. The stem looks way to long and on a bike like the 456 a bar around 700mm and a 50-70mm stem is going to suit better.

Good luck with the build though!

This is why I should not be let loose on CRC sales with a fresh payslip :/
    Back to CRC sales!!!
    (I never learn -_- )
  • It's great that your trying to build a better bike following the theiving bastards taking yours.

Agree that, as stated on On Ones website, the bottom bracket shell is standard English and you will be much more comfortable with bars at least 680mm wide - on one rizers are currently £14.99 but the new El Guapo ones are both wider and more pricey. Stem will be based on the reach you need but 50-80mm typically - again check their website for geo. The cnc ones are £29.99 currently.

Not saving you money in the short term I know but, in terms of the bottom the bracket, it will be a must. Less so for bars and stem - but the bike will handle poorly and it's so so good.

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    have a look at www.carboncycles.cc some brilliant value for money parts also
  • JMcP92
    Amazingly good value in some of that, very tempting indeed :) I'll no doubt have to wait for the next payslip before any of this can be had though :P
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'm one of these unfortunate few who don't get a student loan, so it could take some time.

Everyone gets a student loan! If your household income is over a certain threshold it's the minimum, but everyone can have one. Whilst I liked having more money through Uni, having £200 taken off my salary every month now is less good. :?
  • JMcP92
    njee20 wrote:
    I'm one of these unfortunate few who don't get a student loan, so it could take some time.

Everyone gets a student loan! If your household income is over a certain threshold it's the minimum, but everyone can have one. Whilst I liked having more money through Uni, having £200 taken off my salary every month now is less good. :?

Hence why I don't have a student loan ;) I get my tuition fees paid (I'm Scottish, sorry England) which is nice, but I make my living off my own business and a little help from the parents when the money runs dry, but business is the way forward ;) So again... anyone want a custom made bespoke website made? :P
  • njee20
    So it's nothing to do with being unfortunate, what you meant was "I don't need a student loan because I have other sources of income", the option was there, you just chose not to get one :?

Anyway, semantics. Enjoy the build.
  • JMcP92
    The frame has arrived!

Shady phone pic :/

• JMcP92 wrote:
    The frame has arrived!

Shady phone pic :/

Nice :^)

• JMcP92
    More frame pictures - very happy with it :D

imag0262q.jpg

imag0260c.jpg

imag0261om.jpg

imag0259v.jpg

imag0258l.jpg

imag0257z.jpg
  • Your frame looks cracking - bet you can't wait to get cracking on building it.

Please tell me that you, as a student, don't own that lush Audi in the background??? I will be sick if so ;D

• JMcP92
    Your frame looks cracking - bet you can't wait to get cracking on building it.

Please tell me that you, as a student, don't own that lush Audi in the background??? I will be sick if so ;D

Unfortunately not, would be fun :P That is my dad's. Lovely thing to blast I tell ye ;)
  • JMcP92
    A few pre-Christmas bits and bobs :D

Avid Juicy 7 Ultimate brakes:

imag0280xk.jpg

imag0281m.jpg

imag0282rh.jpg

Shimano 3x10 Shifters:

imag0283j.jpg

imag0284w.jpg

Nothing too amazing I know, but it's getting there very slowly :D

I have been vacated from the garage and replaced with a new car so I will no doubt be continuing as a bedroom build. Seems the car needs the garage more than I do, MX bike has been shoe-horned into a corner and all. I liked the space but seems not :P
  • Getting there. Look forward to seeing it fully built soon.

• JMcP92
    Soon is maybe a bit of a push :P I want to have it done by mid-spring so I can get it all good and ready for summer. Take some time, effort and money, but it'll be worth it, and this one will be insured -_-
  • JMcP92
    Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you're all having a great time - seems I got a little something this morning :D

imag0289dk.jpg

imag0291tm.jpg

imag0290s.jpg

imag0292p.jpg

My bike and my work in progress perched atop it :)

imag0293g.jpg
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Have you got a roof rack for that Aston Martin? :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Aston with an MTB on it would be a wondrous site.

Looking good, those forks will not let you down.

• JMcP92
    I really need to pay more attention to the background -_- I've very little room in the garage now, my MX bike is confined to that corner and the project bike is in a box at the back, not a lot of room for photographs but oh well. I think it's safe to assume, very much not mine :P

Anyway, back to bicycle things, all the Christmas money (and quite a lot of my budget for eating :/ ) Just disappeared, ordered up the following:
    Seatpost
    Seatpost Shim
    Stem
    Wheels
    Front QR
    Handlebars

Pictures and info to come soon :)
  • Be careful with the seatpost shim. I've read that they have a tendency to bond to the carbon seat tube. I'm not sure if its a common problem but worth checking with on one. Their Twelfty seatposts are good by the way -31.6mm

Paul

• JMcP92
    Worth a look at to be safe :/ Maybe if you just put some grease on it when it goes it it should be alright? Still worth asking On One.

Anyway, I have questions for you all! I am thinking about two things, first off:

Saddles - I hear the Charge Spoon is great, comfy, light and well priced, if there are no other reasonably priced objections, is this my best option?

Tubes or tubeless? - I've got Stans Crests on the way, which are designed for tubeless but take tubes if you wish, what should I do? Is tubeless much better? Or can it simply be unreliable?

All thoughts are welcome - discuss!
  • I have an On One Big Nose and its very comfy. Good for climbing and won the value award in MBUK's group test - I think I paid £20. The charge spoon is also good according to my mate, plus you get a bigger choice of colour designs.
    My other mate has Fiziks (not sure which) and he's not impressed but came standard on his Giants - said he wouldn't buy them retail and is going to swop them out.

I'd say you shoul be ok with the spoon or big nose.

Paul

• DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Spoon is my choice of saddle, Can't complain with it.
  • I Used a charge spoon for almost 3 years , there Awesome ! well worth the £19 anyway ;) ! I only replaced mine as all of the stitching had worn out because it was so well used, :D your build is looks awesome anyway , cant wait to see the outcome !!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Another Spoon fanboi here, although the Kraken now wears a Bonti Infiorm RXL which is even nicer, but at £80 RRP so it should be (no I didn't pay that!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    JMcP92 wrote:
    Worth a look at to be safe :/ Maybe if you just put some grease on it when it goes it it should be alright? Still worth asking On One.

Never grease carbon. Should be fine, I used shims in carbon frames (with carbon posts) for years, never had a problem.
  • Is it a carbon seatpost or alu?

I'm sure someone said using a shim on his C456 caused lots of trouble.

Yep don't use grease but carbon paste.

• JMcP92
    Could easy buy some carbon paste, not the only place I'll need it so no harm in buying a tube of it.
    It's an alu shim and post