Gazelle W2 MTB 2009

rontsse
rontsse Posts: 6
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Good day. I can buy Gazelle W2 for low price and I would like to ask your advice.
The internet unfortunately has very little information about it, as the firm has suspended Gazelle producing this series probably back in 2011.

Its characteristics are:
front derailleur - Shimano Deore,
rear derailleur - Shimano Deore LX,
Shifters - Shimano Deore
fork - Rock Shox Dart 2 (+ Lock Out),
Brakes - Shimano Deore V-Brake,
bushings - Deore
number of speeds - 27,
Wheels - 26 "
rim - Airline.one
tires-Vredestein Tiger Claw XC G,
saddle - Selle Royal.
pedal - I drew attention to the poor quality pedals - but the seller assured me that he will replace them for free

Brought it from Holland. I overlooked it and I can say that it is almost new . Seller is asking for him 470$. And for the same amount I can buy something like a giant Revel1, or Mongoose Tyax Comp. But they have worse system and also weaker fork and so on. The only thing they have disc brakes. This bike has all mounts for disc brakes.
I want to ask you if the system switches that were used very little will serve me good? Or maybe, in few months I will have problem with Shimano Deore/Deore XL due to the age of system. Or maybe I should buy a new bike for the same money? Thank you.

gornyy_velosyped_gazelle_w2__12231685m.jpg
gornyy_velosyped_gazelle_w2__12231690m.jpg
gornyy_velosyped_gazelle_w2__12231691m.jpg
gornyy_velosyped_gazelle_w2__12231692m.jpg
gornyy_velosyped_gazelle_w2__12231694m.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fork is pretty rubbish, everything else is basic. Whose $'s are you talking about?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Was going to say it was horrible overpriced until I read this!
    cooldad wrote:
    Whose $'s are you talking about?
  • Fork is pretty rubbish, everything else is basic. Whose $'s are you talking about?

I live in Ukraine and for 500$ I can buy only Giant Revel 1 or Mongoose Tyax Comp. For example;
    Giant Revel 1 short spec:

Fork: SR Suntour XCT V4 80mm travel Lockout
    Shifters: Shimano SL-M310 24 speed
    Switches front: Shimano Acera M191
    Switches Rear: Shimano Alivio M430
    BRAKES: Tektro Draco hydraulic disc

I don't think that it will be good bike if comparing to even Gazelle W2.
    I mean that in Ukraine the price of bicycles with systems Diore LX / Deore starts from 850 $. We have some stupid law on taxing bicycles.
    So for that money I can expect to have fork Suntour, Alivio system and disc brakes Tekktro Draco. :-(. This is the main reason why I drew attention to the Gazelle.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Revel has a similarily poor fork, worse drivetrain but much much better brakes, on that basis I'd take it over the 'Gazelle'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Again, as CD previously asked:
    cooldad wrote:
    Whose $'s are you talking about?

Unless I missed something over Christmas, Hryvnia is not $

And anyway, it's all relative. I, like everyone else on here, have no idea what represents good value in Ukraine. $500 may only buy you a basic, 2nd hand 4yr old MTB (like this), or it may buy you something more flashy. We have no point of reference.
  • My budget is very limited and I can spend about 650 $. In fact, I started this topic because I do not know what will be better choise for me - new bike with Alivio/Deore but with Tecttro disc brakes, or cheaper little used bike with DeoreLX/Deore system, where If I want I can always buy not so bad disc brakes for 200$ difference in price. In our country I can buy only revel 1 for 500$, but it has slightly worse system, fork and everything else. So If you were me, what would you do?
  • querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    i would go to CRC and buy this instead

57174.jpg
  • I would probably too, It's really nice one, but in our country it costs $ 1200. It's too much for me.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    rontsse wrote:
    My budget is very limited and I can spend about 650 $.
    thats about £50 in our money
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    you use the euro, yes?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    querhoch wrote:
    you use the euro, yes?
    ah, not thinking clearly, was assuming he was using Ukraine Hryvnia, hope he is using euro's
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • cooldad
    Ukraine doesn't use Euros. Or Dollars - and not knowing anything about bike prices/availability or anything else in Ukraine, it's a bit difficult to offer any advice.
    So obviously I will - get the best fork possible for your money. Most brakes will stop you - nothing wrong with well set up V's, and Alivio/Acera stuff does the job. But a rubbish fork will spoil any ride. Ypu can always upgrade as you go along, even better if the bike has disc mounts.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • So obviously I will - get the best fork possible for your money. Most brakes will stop you - nothing wrong with well set up V's, and Alivio/Acera stuff does the job. But a rubbish fork will spoil any ride. Ypu can always upgrade as you go along, even better if the bike has disc mounts.
    Thank you for the advice. I thought to buy this bike and to do some upgrade - fork is the first thing I want to change.
  • cooldad
    A decent fork will cost well over £100 - not sure what that is in ?$? but generally you'd do better to add that onto what you plan to spend initially and get a better bike from the outset.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Jesus Christ, really? You're going to make me ask again?

Are we talking USD here? If so, why? You don't use USD, we don't use USD (this is mainly a UK based site, so GBP is the most commonly used currency, EUR at a push)

You're confusing matters by using a dollar sign with no apparent reason to do so. You may as well just put in a random number.

I think it's worth 275 moneys.
  • cooldad
    Tetchy tonight are we?
    The symbol for a Ukranian Wotsit looks like
    hryvnia_symbol-svg.png
    So maybe $ is as close as a keyboard does.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Hehe, it's a massive sugar crash after all those sugary Christmas treats if you must know! ;)