Mbuk zaskar, retro spooky and stumpy

d8mok
d8mok Posts: 107
edited January 2013 in Your mountain bikes
After lurking for a while thought I'd introduce myself and bikes.

I'm fortunate to have purchased the mbuk zaskar a couple of years back. Some love it ,and some hate it but its a one off. Not changed its spec at all apart from the grips. I use it sometimes , but don't want to ruin it. Purple hope is lovely.

photo-63.jpg

SL381047.jpg

SL381038.jpg

Pics:

Frame: zaskar reissue frame
Forks: rockshox reba painted in judy yellow
Bars: kore
Stem: kore carbon
Front Brake hope anodised purple
Rear Brake Hope anodised purple
Shifters: xt
Front Mech: xt
Rear Mech: xt
Seat: selle italia flite
Seat Post: kore carbon
Cranks: raceface deus xc
Cassette: xt
Pedals: xtr spd
Bottom Bracket:

Wheelset
Rim: dt Swiss 5.1
Hub: hope pro 11 in purple
Tire: panaracer smoke and dart

My spooky is from late 90s but I've restored it a bit back. It was black, but now pearl white. 24 inch rims, lots of hope , chris king , xtr and very retro. This is never used now as I'm too old for jumping and stuff. Could never sell it.

SL380649.jpg

SL380651.jpg

SL380654.jpg

SL380672.jpg

Frame: spooky bandwagon
Forks: bomber z1 CR
Bars: azonic chubby
Stem: azonic shorty
Headset: Chris king
Front Brake : hope pro c2
Rear Brake : hope pro c2
Shifter : xt
Cables: xtr
Rear Mech: xtr
Chain Device: dmr
Seat: x lite
Seat Post: kore
Seat Post Clamp: hope
Cranks: profile bmx
Chain: SRAM
Pedals: dmr v12
Bottom Bracket: profile bmx

Wheel set :
Rims : sun rhino lite 24 inch
Hubs : hope big uns
Spokes : Sapim
Tyres: irc kujo

And finally my workhorse stumpy expert. This is the one that gets used and abused. Recently had new wheels, and a few carbon bits but mostly standard as they come with x-0 and xt anyway.

photo-96.jpg

Frame: 2008 stumpy expert
Forks: fox
Bars: fsa k force carbon
Stem: fsa os115 carbon front
Headset: cane creek
Grips: specialized lock on
Front Brake : avid juicy ultimate
Rear Brake : avid juicy ultimate
Shifters: x-9
Front Mech: lx
Rear Mech: x-0
Seat: selle italia
Seat Post: fsa slk
Cranks: xt
Pedals: 540 spd
Bottom Bracket: xt

Wheelset
Rim: xc717
Spokes: Sapim
Hub: hope pro evo
Tube: conti
Tire: specialized

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Hahaha, someone fetch Ben. He can't escape that bIoody Zaskar!

But wait, I was sure we'd discussed this bike earlier this year as it was up on ebay for silly money with a load of bits swapped out.
  • Actually, while I think about it (and god only knows why I remember this), IIRC, the 2nd owner snapped the original frame, which had to be replaced. He then flogged it on eBay for about a grand (he wanted 2 for it). That was about 2 years ago, so I'm assuming you're the dude who bought it.

Man I scare myself sometimes!
  • d8mok
    Hi mate. Yeh I got it about 2 years ago after the frame swap under warranty for a crack. All the parts are still the original and its mint still. I got it from the second owner who didn't use it so much either. Not through eBay though.
  • lol, yup Zaskar was mine originally!

No longer the original frame as the person that bought it from me cracked it down the seat tube iirc, not so sure it was a manufacturing default as it was a strange crack - I suspected seat post not being inserted far enough and/or was ridden by a large bloke - but a replacement was provided anyway.

Did the new frame come with a new authentication certificate so the serial numbers match?
  • d8mok
    Yeh got a new certificate too. Loads of paperwork came with it aswell. I'll prob keep it forever anyway as its a good bike.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I remember the op on here when he first got it, I just bought the Zaskar team in carbon very nice bike,
    Still got the magazine with the feature.
  • lol, yup Zaskar was mine originally!

No longer the original frame as the person that bought it from me cracked it down the seat tube iirc, not so sure it was a manufacturing default as it was a strange crack - I suspected seat post not being inserted far enough and/or was ridden by a large bloke - but a replacement was provided anyway.

Did the new frame come with a new authentication certificate so the serial numbers match?

i wasnt reading MBUk when all this was happening so would someone be kind enough to give me a quick run down of what went on?

this was your frame originally Nothern Monkey? you bought it from LBS/manufacturer?
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • sanchez89 wrote:
    lol, yup Zaskar was mine originally!

i wasnt reading MBUk when all this was happening so would someone be kind enough to give me a quick run down of what went on?

this was your frame originally Nothern Monkey? you bought it from LBS/manufacturer?

Won it in a competition from MBUK, limited edition Zaskar frame welded in the USA, MBUK built it up using one off coloured/etched hope brakes and hubs.

The mag valued it at over £3k at the time...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sorry but that Zasker is hideous! Thats what you get for reading MBUK I guess
  • ha ha, i think that Zasker is stunning!!!, I was gutted when i didnt win it with my one and only txt lol

Each to thier own i guess.
  • i remember seeing it in the mag i think i entered the comp for it
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    NIce looking Zaskar. People of a certain age will remember the days when anodized purple components were the must have upgrade for any self respecting biker :D
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    Where did you get that Spooky from?
    I sold one just like it a few years back...
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • ditchit
    ditchit Posts: 44
    Hi all, i'm a newbee here and just read my first thread and thought that UK Rivers kayak forum had geeks but you guys, haha, take the whole cake! :)
    'Dont waste your time like an idiot on Facebook. Instead, visit an outdoor enthusiast forum and waste your time in style!' Mahatma Ghandi