2014 - Giro or Tour for spectating?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited December 2012 in Pro race
Given that the Tour is going to be running past my house (probably) in 2014 I wondered where would be a good destination to watch some (more) cycling. Either see more of the Tour later on or maybe the Giro?

Any ideas on what would "better"? I fancy a mountain top finish somewhere or other but imagine the Italians would give it all a better atmosphere? Any thoughts gratefully received.

I know it all depends on the route etc

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Apparently Belfast/Dublin are to bid for the Giro Grand Depart* in 2014

Can't see it myself

* I know that's French but I've been on the stout since 1pm and I'm doing my best
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I've never been to see the girl but my guess would be that it would not compare to the tour doe to the magnitude of the event.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rodgers73
    Surely the Italians can generate some noise??
  • Giro - you get in the middle of it
  • In the Giro's favour, security's nothing like as heavy as the Tour and the riders are much more relaxed - so if you wanted to be around the team buses at all you're more likely to get to have a word or autograph, if that's your thing. Also the tifosi...got to get in the middle of them, right?
  • rodgers73
    I was hoping for that - the footage I've watched impressed me much more than the Tour with the fans' proximity to the action etc
  • Really doesn't make any difference, they are both good races to go and see. I would suggest that you need to know the route. Next year I think Ventoux and Alpe d'Huez will be the places to be.