Something for you all to laugh at here...

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Wow I'm an idiot.

Just trimmed the hoses on my brand new Shimano M596 brakes and ruined my front/right hand lever.

I had a bleed kit I bought for my Tektro Auriga comp brakes that I had out incase I needed to top the mineral oil up...

Anyway, Like a doughnut I picked the wrong olive up (The Tektro olive) and didn't realise and now the bast*rd is stuck in my lever and I can't get it out so had to order a new one.

Proper noob.

Anyone else wanna post their workshop mishaps? lol

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you think it's new lever time, then get in there with anything to try and get it out........nothing to be lost.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DanDax1990
    I was at it for almost an hour with a pair of pliers trying to pull it out by gripping the insert but it was just tearing little bits off. New lever ordered anyway, The thred inside the lever looked ruined after a while :(

Such a loser haha.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    My favourite cock-up is cutting a steerer on a fork to the line the headset had made on the fork, not the line I had scribed. At least it was a customers' fork. Oops! This was many years ago.... But if you want a Ritchey carbon fork with a really short inch steerer I know where there is one in a shop...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thread can be retapped........I'd have tried a screwdeiver and tried to crush it....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    This happened last saturday. Did a rebuild on my mates Specialized FSR from 2005 the one with 4 tiny sealed bearings in the chainstay 4 bar pivot. They are an absolute custard to get out, took me an hour to make a bearing drift to get them out. Pressed the fresh new expensive bearings in and realised I had left a spacer out that sits between the pairs of bearings. So I have to drive to bearing suppliers and buy a new set of bearings and drift the old brand new ones out. Balls thats me out of pocket and I only did the job for beer money.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Did you try twisting whilst pulling? that might help a little.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • DanDax1990
    Yep tried twisting whilst pulling.

Gonna give it another bash in a couple of days, See if I can have any joy with it.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Torq bit time- IIRC a T40 is about right, but experiment, you want it to just barely fit into the olive. Gently fit it into the olive then increase pressure while turning- hopefully will both free up the olive and get it good and stuck on the torq. Then, pull out.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DanDax1990
    The insert is stuck in the olive though... Will try your method if I can get the insert out.
  • DanDax1990
    Managed to get it out! Not got an insert now though, Duhhhh.