Fork Oil Question

pikeg123
pikeg123 Posts: 46
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys, I just bought myself a 2006 Kona Stinky and I noticed the forks weren't getting full travel.. So decided to give the forks a mini service with some new oil. So I whipped out the old 7.5 oil (there was a lot of it) and put in some fresh 5wt oil.. Now, looking on Marzocchi's service guide it says 245cc/ml of oil.. But as i want to get the full travel of the for I put in slightly less, but it still not getting the full travel that i was looking for..

Question is, should I drop the oil level even more? the book says 245cc, I put in 210cc.. Should I maybe drop it down to say 180cc??

Whats your opinions?

The fork is a Drop Off Triple by the way..

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why did you change tp 5wt?

that year fork? original to the bike?

and changing by more than 5mm is bad.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I changed down to 5wt as I'm only a small/light rider (5'1), I found the damping was a tadd stiff.. since putting in the 5wt it is much nicer and more responsive.. The fork is stock on the bike, I believe it is a 2005-6 fork, not 100% sure..

More confusing is the fact that on the marzocchi site it says it should have a spring in the left leg and an air cartridge in the right.. However mine has springs in both legs.. strange..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    OE forks don't always match the spec of the aftermarket ones......

Unless the fork is bottoming out on the oil, then less oil will have no effect on travel, maybe the springs are too stiff as you're a lighter rider.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.