is my bike strong enough?

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited December 2012 in MTB general
Just a quick one, I have a 2009 spesh xc pro. we have started to go to coed y brenin and llandegla a lot. I was talking to my mate at work and he put doubt in my mind that the bike will take the punishment?

Comments

• querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    your mates a goon. thats a perfectly good bike.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yes, it's fine. Brenin and Degla aren't exactly gnarly.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends how hard you hit the tree. I suggest going in head first, which will protect the bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It's fine. Mine was anyway and stood up to worse things
  • Only super weight weenie bikes will have problems, but a normal build will hold almost anything out. Not saying it would be fun though.

You will be fine.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most weight weenie bikes are just as strong, they just cost shedloads, it's cheap (and usually very heavy) bikes that have issues.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt
    Agreed, no weight weenie bike should have any problem at Brenin or Degla. I've seen people riding argos special BSOs around both places faster than people on bikes that cost ten or twenty times the price.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    Every time I go to Cannock I seem to see at least one guy on a catalogue special, usually in amongst a group of good bikes, always seem riden well, I wonder if it's some kind of right of passage! After all you can pick one up used for about £35!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Some people seem to think trail centres are gnarly and you need a big AM bike if you want to ride fast. Thats bollocks, any bike can take trail centre rides, even if your hitting the bigger features on the black trails.
    Last time I went to Afan one of the lads in our group was on a cyclocross bike, he even did the black trail. At the end of the day his wheels were just as true as anyone elses and he kept up everywhere. We still abused him for the whole ride.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    For me though it's about how fast you hit it, not whether you can hit it.

It's no real challenge to ride a trail centre but to go as fast as i want to go i wouldn't have anything less than my 140mm stumpjumper. Sometimes going fast you make small mistakes where a racey bike would have thrown you off.
  • The Rookie
    Sometimes going fast you make small mistakes where a racey bike would have thrown you off.
    So your admitting you ride full sus to compensate for a lack of skill? (Heh, that's what your saying..........)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Sometimes going fast you make small mistakes where a racey bike would have thrown you off.
    So your admitting you ride full sus to compensate for a lack of skill? (Heh, that's what your saying..........)
    Yes, i am. We'd all be riding road bikes off road if we weren't using our bikes to compensate for skill.
  • Who's up for penny farthings at Aston Hill? Separate the men from the boys eh ;D
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    I don't ride a susser to compensate for a lack of skill. it takes skill to ride any bike, i just use different skills.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    CYB was built so that Roman invaders could do laps on their wooden bikes. There's not a quality modern bike that isn't well up for it. Course, you might prefer a bigger/stronger/longer travel bike... Or conversely, you might find it makes things less fun. I thought my Ragley suited the place perfectly, it's the stonepitch that makes CYB so unique and it'd be a shame to deplete that I reckon. But ymmv.
    Yes, i am. We'd all be riding road bikes off road if we weren't using our bikes to compensate for skill.

8320590904_26d1cbc116_b.jpg
    cross by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    CX bike at CYB? fuck that, it's pretty rocky in places. I could do it, it just wouldn't be fun.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, that would be crap to be fair. Doable, but crap.
    Uncompromising extremist