Fitting a New Groupset

TheRollingDoorLAD
TheRollingDoorLAD Posts: 31
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've had my Giant Talon 2 for just over a year now and now recently I've decided I wanted to lighten the bike up a little. I want to change the fork to a Reba of some description first, but once that is out the way I was thinking of installing an SLX groupset myself.

Now even though I've never built a bike before I've watched/read many articles on how to install parts on a MTB bike so I think it is well within my ability to do this. I'm going to get a workstand and decent tool kit to do the job.

I was mainly wondering if you guys had any tips, tricks and hints on fitting the groupset? Any specific greases or bits and bobs I will need to make the process a success? Cheers!
Part time weight weenie

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    All that's needed really is a few allen keys, a screwdriver, and whatever bottom bracket tools you'll need - I'm guessing a HW11 crankset so this will do: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3785 for tensioning the bb and a spanner for installing the cups http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3784

The chainset will come already greased so you won't need any. Some chain lube would be handy though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What have you now? A chainset wouldn't be my first choisce for weight saving, wheels/tyres an forks (hwat have you now?) would be.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Since posting this I have changed my mind on a full groupset upgrade and just improve a few components to try and make it a well-round machine.
    What have you now? A chainset wouldn't be my first choisce for weight saving, wheels/tyres an forks (hwat have you now?) would be.
    I'm currently running Kenda Nevegals which I'm happy with, on Deore hubs and Mach 1 rims. However I do have a Dart 2 which I think weights about 2.2kg. I've looked into a 2013 Reba which weights about 1.5kg. I just need to get the money together.
    Part time weight weenie
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Reba's will be a lot lighter (and better performing) than a Dart that's for sure!

May be mistaken but I thought Mach1's were pretty heavy.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Reba's will be a lot lighter (and better performing) than a Dart that's for sure!

That goes without saying! :lol: I had a wobbly freehub (due to pressure washing it) and that's all they had in stock at my LBS. I have a stock Giant rim and hub up front which isn't up to much so I just want to get a matching rim really, I'm a tart like that.
    Part time weight weenie