Gisburn forest

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited January 2013 in Routes
There's a vid on youtube called "Gisburn forest off piste - the mini wheel run." Does anyone know whereabouts this trail starts/finishes and I guess this is aimed at Stumpyjon really, do you prefer if people stick to the official trails?

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Don't know where that is, there's a fair bit of gradient on it. At a guess I'd say it was somewhere fairly central, the comments mention the old NAMBS downhill trail, I think that's not far off Steve's downhill sections.

I don't think there's too many issues with people going off piste as long as it's not on the way marked footpaths, there's no unsanctionned digging or building etc. and they don't get over used, Gisburn is naturally very wet and boggy which is why we have to build armoured trail. Also keep out of the fenced off sections, there's various habitat protection things going on there.

The lastest volunteer built section, Swoopy, is now official open complete with red option around the mega swoop. Bit soft in places as the gravel we put down yesterday was a tad wet but good to ride. Signage is in, starts next to the green shipping container.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Thats just downon the left after the really steep roll in. Just have to look over the ddge of thd firerosd else you'll miss it.
    There's also some pretty big gap jumps not far from the end of the run.

Edit to say I hate this b4st4rd tablet!
  • If anyone goes this weekend, can you post a condition report... Snowy/rideable/dangerous icefest!? Hopefully going midweek
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    The twitter feed said it's icey; treat everything as black graded.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It is icey in places, particularly the car parks and fire roads. I would think based on the forecaset and previous experience there'll be ice there to next weekend, can take a while to go under the trees.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Dodge T is correct. If you're heading from the Tosside direction up towards Whelpstone Crag on the fire road, this unofficial route is just on your left immediately after the 3rd (and smallest quarry with the steep drop). The Nambs DH route used a slightly different drop in about 6 ft further down the fireroad which was less steep, but turned a corner part way down. It was nice and dry when I took the video, but it can be quite slippery at times and there are often trees down especially after high winds. It's good fun though.

p.s. I wondered why views had suddenly gone up on YT!
  • MTBmaniac wrote:
    Dodge T is correct. If you're heading from the Tosside direction up towards Whelpstone Crag on the fire road, this unofficial route is just on your left immediately after the 3rd (and smallest quarry with the steep drop). The Nambs DH route used a slightly different drop in about 6 ft further down the fireroad which was less steep, but turned a corner part way down. It was nice and dry when I took the video, but it can be quite slippery at times and there are often trees down especially after high winds. It's good fun though.

p.s. I wondered why views had suddenly gone up on YT!

Cheers for that info, will look out for it next time I get to Gisburn. Never did get there over the past two weeks, wanted to go to test ride the new Piglet. Was a bit gutted to see this video of a lad having a great time there recently on what is basically a variation of my bike!

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/295205/#top

Good vid though :D

Going to Cannock on Sunday and Monday with a walking mate, maybe hit Gisburn later next week.