Chainguard for sr suntour pff

Gamblor
Gamblor Posts: 84
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
EDIT: In the end I've bought this, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0356806615, already had the chainguard attatched so seems the easiest option.

You'll have to excuse my naivety, I'm a total MTB novice.

Basically I need a chainguard for my bike as I'm forever ripping my trousers to shreds. I bought a cheap one from halfords but it didn't fit, so they've refunded me. They had a look and said I'm looking at £40 for a chainguard that would fit. That sounds rather steep to me...

Would this one fit? http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/21 ... black.html

All I know about it is that it has SR SUNTOUR PFF written on, and has 42 teeth at last count.

As a side note, I think the fact about 5 of the teeth have worn down means I'll need to replace the whole thing at some point in the near future - do I need to replace the WHOLE unit, or can I just buy the replacement 'cog' (the one with the damaged teeth)

20121222203108.jpg

Thanks for reading, and apologies for my lack of knowledge, I know some of the more knowledgable people must have felt like banging their head against a wall reading that.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If the chainring are riveted on then you have to replace the whole chainset. That doesn't look like an allen bolt. However many teeth are sculpted to aid shifting, so is probably not wear - and would not wear unevenly like that.

The guard may fit, but sadly is trial and error. The easiest solution by far, and a better one, is to use trouser clips.
  • supersonic wrote:
    If the chainring are riveted on then you have to replace the whole chainset. That doesn't look like an allen bolt. However many teeth are sculpted to aid shifting, so is probably not wear - and would not wear unevenly like that.

The guard may fit, but sadly is trial and error. The easiest solution by far, and a better one, is to use trouser clips.

Thanks for the reply. I had thought of trouser clips but as I wear fairly baggy clothes it would look a bit ridiculous.

In the end I've bought this, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0356806615, already had the chainguard attatched so seems the easiest option.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's a trekking type chainset with big rings. You'll need to reposition the front mech and probably a new chain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    That's a trekking type chainset with big rings. You'll need to reposition the front mech and probably a new chain.

Will any chain do or are their certain types/brands I'd be looking for? By repositioning the front mech, do you mean just adjusting the front derailleur?

Thanks for the help :)
  • cooldad
    Any chain of the right speed. I use KMC.
    You will have to reposition the mech further up the seat tube.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Truvativ and Shimano both do trouser guards to fit the cheap end cranks, if the large chainring has mounting holes similar to the one bottom right of that picture then one of those may fit (one has equal spaced holes the other does not, can't recall for certain which is which though!) Many cheaper end OE bikes have them, Decathlon sell the truvativ guard only for about £6.50. Suntour usually follow Shimano patterns.

I have a Truvativ chainset in the shed with one on right now.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angle grinder vs Big chainring.

Outcome:

ring_guard.jpg

Cost: Elbow grease and some electricity.

Angle grinder: about £15 new, £5 secondhand.
  • cooldad
    Bit pointless if you want to use the big ring.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Gamblor wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Will any chain do or are their certain types/brands I'd be looking for? By repositioning the front mech, do you mean just adjusting the front derailleur?

Thanks for the help :)

I'd go for the SRAM chains (easier to fit). Also worth mentioning that's it's sometimes better to use a narrower chain than the one for your drive train. So if it's a 8 speed system, use a 9 speed chain as it causes less noise on the front chainrings (truvativ actually suggest you do this with their 8/9 speed cranks, irrespective of how many gears you have at the back of the bike). I found this to be true back when i was using Suntour cranks as well.

Also worth mentioning that because you've bought larger touring chainrings your going to have to change the number of links in the chain (typically longer than the chain your currently using). There are chain length calculators online that will figure out how many links you have to use (simply tell them the number of teeth on the big ring at the front, the back and the distance between the center of the cranks and the center of the rear cassette).
  • cooldad
    Really? Why are Sram easier to fit? KMC come with missing links. And better than Sram, IMnot soHO.
    And measure the chain one the bike, around big/big, missing out the mech, plus a full link.
    Plus I really can't see the point of using the wrong size chain. If it's eight speed they're really cheap.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    cooldad wrote:
    Really? Why are Sram easier to fit? KMC come with missing links.

Was speaking in general, not in response to your post about KMC.

cooldad wrote:
    Plus I really can't see the point of using the wrong size chain. If it's eight speed they're really cheap.

Because the cranksets are usually a dual 8/9 speed compatible crank. But with a wider 8 speed chain they allow for less movement and you often get a slight bit of rub against the bumps on the outer ring when on the middle ring. You can also go up an extra gear on the rear cassette before the chain starts rubbing against the front derailleur. Switched to using 9 speed chains on two of my 8 speed bikes a couple of years ago (per Truvativ's recomendation) and just ended up with more flexiblity, less noise. Same holds true for newer 9 speed Shimano Deore cranksets, which are also sold as for 8/9 speed compatible systems, but only really work right with a 9 speed chain, irrespective of it your cassette and rear derailleur are 8 speed.
  • The Rookie
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    But he's already bought that crankset he linked to. Keep up guys.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    But he's already bought that crankset he linked to. Keep up guys.

:D

Perhaps I should have edited the OP.

• I've bought one of those to go on the existing chainset. I'll keep the spare on I've ordered and fit it at a later date. Cheers.
  • The Rookie
    EEk...are you sure truvativ will fit a suntour?
  • EEk...are you sure truvativ will fit a suntour?

Aww bollocks
  • The Rookie
    If you look at my links they are not the same.......
  • If you look at my links they are not the same.......

I thought you'd posted them as being suitable
  • The Rookie
    No, as examples, showing how they differ..... the Suntour looks like it's compatable with the Shimano.