Hello Roadie world!

RussNicholls9
RussNicholls9 Posts: 25
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Hey,

Just bought my first road bike and looking forward to making the change from mountain biking and BMX . Just purchased a 2010 Trek 1.1 for a bargain in my opinion :')

Took it out for the first time and not only my first ever time on a road bike but clipless and yes I made that fatal mistake of not unclipping soon enough at my first set of lights :lol:

All in all loving the change so far and can't wait to see how the new year goes as a lycra boy :')

Comments

• I'll get a picture in the morning if anyone's interested
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Good work mate ! I've been converted,2nd yr in and still loving it !

Enjoy !! An welcome to the forum.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Well done on becoming a roadie,it,s the start of an obsession and wallet draining pass time.
    Get a pic up,always worth a look.
    Enjoy.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Got a picture for you guys, but it does the bike no justice, but it's a start :) I'll get a better picture at a later date.

@upperoilcan Thanks and I hope I'll be the same way come next year :)

@elderone Thanks! I see what you mean about the wallet draining! Already after new upgrades :D
  • Here she is, Just a shame the picture gives her no justice :(

2rm9hnc.jpg
  • Your bike looks lovely, but she deserves a road style horizontal stem.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Your bike looks lovely, but she deserves to get out on the road! That's what it's all about, plenty of time for adjustments as you go on. Enjoy.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Your bike looks lovely, but she deserves a road style horizontal stem.

Stem just needs to be flipped.
  • Any chance of uploading the pic as an attachment? The image host you're using is blocked where I work.
  • Oh don't worry she'll be eating up the miles with me! I also noticed that about the stem, but when you guys say flipped I'm a little confused, flipped as the steerer tube end taken off and put back on upside down (and bars obviously)? Maybe it's best I just go into my LBS and ask, I'm no mechanic! haha.
  • Unbolt the bar end of it too. However, it's a visual thing, don't do it at the expense of comfort. Looking good and feeling good are not always mutually compatible.

Anyhow; Trek 1.1, I've got a 2011 one, and it is a fairly viceless ride; brakes are a bit weak, and the frame is a bit flexible, but otherwise a solid way of getting about. Even the wheels are okay for the price bracket it was in. The only frustration I think you might find is the relatively narrow gear range.

Mine was reduced to turbo trainer and wet weather duties this year... can't bring myself to sell it; it's never misbehaved, never stopped working, and never thrown me off. So I'm going to treat it to some new bar tape, chainset, and other goodies in 2013.
  • Welcome 8)

Was worried the picture was going to be of a MAMIL :shock:

Remove the stem between your handlebars and fork steerer top tube, and turn it over 180 degrees. Then refit it. It will lower your handle bars and give the bike a racier more aerodynamic riding position, but may not be as comfortable. Ride it as it is, then 'flip' the stem and ride it again to see which position you prefer/is more comfortable for you.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Be careful; it looks like the stem has quite a steep angle, so flipping it may reduce the bar height quite a lot.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    essjaydee wrote:
    Remove the stem between your handlebars and fork steerer top tube, and turn it 180 degrees
    Not sure that's going to work
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    bompington wrote:
    essjaydee wrote:
    Remove the stem between your handlebars and fork steerer top tube, and turn it 180 degrees
    Not sure that's going to work
    Class.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • hhahaha oi don't get picking on the new guy! ;)
  • Just found this on ebay, same bike, but by the looks of it is this what the stem would look like flipped?

$(KGrHqJ,!qYFCSdfDY!GBQzeK443,g~~60_12.JPG
  • Probably a slightly shallower angle on that stem - it's on a bigger frame - but yes, broadly the same.

It's only 7 bolts to do it, 5 minute job.

While you're there you can swap the spacers about to change the effective height of the bars.
  • Some of you eager eyed might have noticed the rear puncture in the picture, well that was picked up on my first ride :(

well I got home ordered a new tube, levers and pump off CRC who I've used for many years with the MTB. Been eagerly waiting the postman only to open the box to a cocked up order and I've received a bunch of lights and muk-off. Gutted! was gonna go for a ride this afternoon!
  • Well after my little incident with CRC they've soon sorted it out and sending me the stuff special delivery! Now to send these lights and stuff back :(
  • I know this isn't the right thing to do, but I was wondering where I'd stand if I didn't send the good back... Although I will be sending them back, just curious
  • I know this isn't the right thing to do, but I was wondering where I'd stand if I didn't send the good back... Although I will be sending them back, just curious

You would be a thief and your life would be a miserable torment of guilt and punishment until you died and then you would begin to reap the Karmic consequences of your error until you had paid your debts or achieved enlightenment ... still as your not going to do it none of that matters :shock:
  • Good job I'm a civil human being then :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803
    I know this isn't the right thing to do, but I was wondering where I'd stand if I didn't send the good back... Although I will be sending them back, just curious

It's what I would have done if they'd sent me better stuff than I ordered. Free gift to apologise for inconvenience as far as I'm concerned ;)
  • Just back from my first little 20 miler, wish I'd gone so much further, my god it's like half the effort I was putting in on the MTB hahaha! Fully loving being a little roadie! Even the getting slack from people at lights cus of the cycling tights hahaha!

Only problem I've found is my rear derailleur wont drop into the smallest cog, probably just needs re aligning?
  • Try checking the limit screws. What condition are the cables in?
  • The cables are like new, the bike had only done 40 miles prior to me owning it, I've no clue what a limit screw is, guess this a youtube job for me hahaha, or a LBS visit after christmas
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    keef66 wrote:
    Be careful; it looks like the stem has quite a steep angle, so flipping it may reduce the bar height quite a lot.

I have flipped the stems on all my bikes, road, mtb and other. The height is also affected by the angle of the fork tube and in many cases cancel each other out so the extension appears horizontal.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.