Rivington routes

Andykerr
Andykerr Posts: 36
edited December 2012 in Routes
Hi guys been planning a route from lower barn Rivington to Darwen jubilee tower. I got to compass point situated between Withnell moor and Rivington moor and had to go back due to the time I had, just wondering is the area MTBable to Darwen jubilee tower from compass point. Also anyone can join the next attemped if they are interested.
thanks

Comments

• compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    I know (sort of) the way over to Darwen. It'd be great to get back out riding when I get back home from Geordieland, from the 17th :)
  • yeah sounds good let me know when your back.Its basically a long tough climb all the way to compass point. I know that the the flagged path that cuts across to Belmont road is only half MTBable, your then basically walking in knee high mud rest of it.
  • compo
    I think that's a different way to what I know. Mine does the Belmont descent into the village and then across the valley up the witton weavers way and then loops around Darwen moor on sweet singletrack to the tower and back down again. It then loops around and comes out at Withnell fold and on to Healy Nab
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    If your doing this over the xmas break, shout up as I want to get some good rivvy runs in to get some fitness back..
  • compo
    Sounds like a plan
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    Count me in too if that's alright guys, I've not been over to Darwen for a while. Haven't heard of compass point before? Are there stone slabs leading to it?
    Papa? Nicole
  • yeah thats fine pal need get my fitness back to. There is some stone slabs leading to it just off rivington road and about half a mile walking in knee high mud. Think xmas holidays are best time for me do this ride working most weekends.
  • compo
    Christmas holidays are good for me.

I'm sure we can find a way around the deep mud
  • compo
    What date might we be thinking for said ride guys?
    When is anyone free?
  • DodgeT
    Possibly this sat, early'ish, beat the walkers.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Any of you guys got a detailed route for this area in particular the upland routes?
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • i will get route up tonight lads and will let you know about satday
  • Dodge T need your email address to send you the rivi route cant upload it onto bikeradar inbox me your email if thats ok with you.
  • Can only go xmas eve day lads
  • compo
    Xmas eve day sounds like a laugh so long as its not a Monsoon.

What time are we thinking?
  • earliest i can do is 10.00am at the lower barn Rivington if thats ok
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Sitting in the Barn after a Rivvi ride trying to warm up with coffee and cake. Jeebus we are so wet there is a large puddle forming round our table surprised we havent been asked to leave, looks like we have all pissed ourselves. Theres a bunch of roadies sneering at us and making comments about the smell. Its not my fault I smell like a tramps sock I had to put my feet down in a stagnant bog when I stalled :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • DodgeT
    Route from andy

riviroute.jpg

Hopefully the file has attached too, opens with google earth.

Edit, duh, .kmz's not allowed. Anybody wants it, pm with email address.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I wouldnt ride that route in this weather. The track over the top of Great Hill down to the A66 will be an absolute swamp its not the best in dry weather. We had to carry our bikes nearly a mile down from the top last August and it wont have improved.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • i agree after this weekend of rain it would ruin the ride, does anyone have any other route ideas for monday.
  • i agree stubs anyone got any other ideas.
  • compo
    Could simply get to the top of winter hill on the mast road, then down to belmont, then maybe up the road and round to the pigeon tower and take it from there?

I also discovered a great rocky descent from half way up the mast road down away from the gardens direction, last time I was out with DodgeT.

I doubt that much of the open moorland stuff will even be walkable let alone rideable, so sticking to anything rocky may be best.

Apart from that I'm out of suggestions so keep 'em coming :)

10am at the barn is good for me too.

Andy, you riding up from Westhoughton?

Overall I'll ride anything to be honest, so long as I can get out and shred ;)
  • me to ride anything and shred it. Ill be going in car to lower barn not to keen on roadie territory, think compo got best idea stay in the rocky areas.
  • compo
    sounds like a plan. we meeting at 10am outside lower barn then?
    Aside from Andykerr, DodgeT and myself, is anyone else in?
  • DodgeT
    Doesn't look like gona be able to make it now, got to get some presents delivered. Hope weather picks up for you guys as it looks miserable again.
  • compo
    edited December 2012
    no worries

you still up for it Andy?

any other takers?

EDIT: the rain looks to have set in, might give this one a miss too

EDIT 2: Forget that, I've manned up and I'm going now
  • Yeah still going pal want a lift up
  • compo
    Go on, then I'll come, it seems dry enough out now.

Cheers for the offer but its okay, it'll probabbly be easier to meet you at the barn at 10 as planned still, if that's okay?
  • compo
    Might be a little late; my brakes need some attending to
  • compo
    It appears that brake fluid has leaked from my brake all over the floor.
    So I won't be able to ride.
    Soryy for the mauling about whether I'm coming or not at the last minute