Winter riding

derpderpson77
derpderpson77 Posts: 3
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. It's obvious that alphalt freezes in winter, But is it safe to ride on soil? Does it get slippery and does the snow make it harder to ride? I mean, let's just have a conversation about winter riding on this thread. I have never done it before and I would like to get some advice from more experienced riders.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Icey mud can give more grip if it's rough than wet mud, less if its smooth, ice on roots and rocks turns treacherous into lethal, falling on frozen soil is the same as falling on concrete.

As always, read the trail ahead, pick and line and ride it, make sure the tyres are suitable for your terrain and your surface conditions.

Snow is predicatable on grip, you need a similar tyre to sloppy mud unless you get a spiked ice tyre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I enjoyed the recent frosty days we had, had better grip than the mud of the last few months. Just need to be more alert to iced over puddles and roots.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Disagree with the snow bit. Fresh snow can give loads of grip, but can be hard work to pedal through. Once it packs down to ice though things get interesting.
    Nothing better than a fresh snowfall and a blue sky.
    19654_245793108773_4695316_n.jpg
    Start of Monaco in Swinley - awesome ride with lots of crashes. And the day the youngster decided to give up SPD's.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Even a grey sky. Pitch hill, your well dressed hero centre.
    68168_475575328773_6065676_n.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Though I'm too late, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! :)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I quite like frozen dirt for riding on, plenty of grip, almost like riding in summer! (just watch the roots and rocks). It can give way quite suddenly though.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5