Strava Segments - Incorrect Logging

Dog Breath
Dog Breath Posts: 314
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
I run and bike and usually record both to Strava. I have noticed that on some segments that I have run there are some hugely fast times. Upon checking their activity that day, it is clear that they have been on a bike ride but have logged the segment as a run. Their activity was 35Km and if it was a run they would be running 1hr 35min marathon pace. This denies the fastest runner from having their CR/KOM and also gives the rider a false KOM.

Other than posting a message on the segment page in the hope that the person amends their entry, what can be done to ensure accuracy.

What is stopping someone driving their car with their Garmin recording and then uploading it as a run or ride and getting another KOM?
Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
Planet X London Road Disc
Planet X RT80 Elite

Comments

• There's a reporting tool on the page if you look carefully for the button. It's pretty frequent where I am that people mountain bike then stick the bike in the car and record 60mph segments.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Given the analysis tools Strava has (power etc) I'd have thought they could quickly develop a flagging system that alerts you if your ride/run looks wrong or incredibly impressive
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Found that now. Cheers.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • Yeah, there's a short dual carriageway segment that I do on the way home. It's slightly uphill and I set the KOM on the TT bike averaging 29.3mph. Every few weeks I get an e-mail saying someone has broken it by 30% or thereabouts - average speeds of 45mph plus. This might conceivably be achievable if you're Cav being led out by HTC as was but the 90mph top speed for the "ride" gives it away. It's a 40mph speed limit too.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Yup - my brother in law got in trouble because he got a lift to work and "forgot" to turn the app off. He got KOMs all the way. They all got removed from the leaderboards within a day, however the KOMs still appear on his profile. This means that, unless he deletes that "ride", he will never manage to get any personal records for those segments. This has led to him not bothering with turning Strava on for his commutes. He's a bit spesh...
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I generally find Strava a bit flawed because of this, and it's occasionally very difficult to prove that someone has been 'cheating' on certain segments... but I've found it brilliant for creating my own private segments and using it solely for PB's.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • It's pretty frequent where I am that people mountain bike then stick the bike in the car and record 60mph segments.g.gif